xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Geek Squad  (Read 83 times)

ludacrisvp

• Archived User
Geek Squad
« on: February 02, 2020, 11:37:00 PM »

So I was at my local Best Buy today buying Die Hard 4 on BluRay and I was looking at UT3 for PS3 as well and I look on the top shelf (eye level for me being 6'6") and there is a sign posted on the shelf.

It said something along the lines of:
"Tired of frustrating and time consuming firmware upgrades on your Playstation 3 and Xbox 360?
Bring your console in to the Geek Squad and for only $15 have a trained professional update your system."

All I can say is WOW.

Are there really people out there that cannot update a system that automatically updates itself?

I think "Geek $quad" is more fitting than "$ony" or "Micro$oft" "M$" ever was.
That is very pathetic.

bucko

• Recovered User
Geek Squad
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 02:03:00 PM »

lol it's no different to taking in your PC to PCworld to get it reformatted, I guess it's good for thoughs who don't have Internet, but a simple pen drive to a local Library download the firmware on to it in a PS3>UPDATE folder and your good to go.

No_Name

• Archived User
Geek Squad
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 05:52:00 PM »

If you dont know what your doing or or afraid to then I cant see why they should not charge for having somoene do it for them.

Best Buy is a business out there to make a profit, so they need to cover the cost of the time the member of staff is engaged doing that instead of doing other tasks.

Its a bit expensive but any idiot who is willing to pay $15 for somthing theydo for free is well an idiot.

HotKnife420

• Archived User
Geek Squad
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 07:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(No_Name @ Jan 10 2008, 01:52 AM) View Post

If you dont know what your doing or or afraid to then I cant see why they should not charge for having somoene do it for them.

Best Buy is a business out there to make a profit, so they need to cover the cost of the time the member of staff is engaged doing that instead of doing other tasks.

Its a bit expensive but any idiot who is willing to pay $15 for somthing theydo for free is well an idiot.

Updating is a fully automated process. If you're connected to live, it auto updates. If you're not connected to live, then new games will update you. Not only do you only need to use the 'A' button and maybe (don't recall) only press the d-pad up or down one time. On top of that, it's stated in plain [insert language you have your console set to here] how to do it, on the screen, as you do it. Anyone who cannot do this is clearly unqualified to play ANY GAME.

I'm all for a business making money by catering to a consumer, but this is just wrong. There could be plenty of consumers that already have an updated system, but don't know what the sign is advertising, will bring their system in, and have it handed back with the exact same kernel, and still be charged. Aside from that, saying that if the consumer is an idiot, they deserved to get ripped off, is the reason why we have so many things that suck today. What things in particular? Well, how about insanely long ToS agreements, or crafty ways to charge the consumer using the "fine print" (which can also be used ironically for this example). That type of money making may be legal, but it's more dishonest than a drug dealer.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Geek Squad
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 10:11:00 AM »

someome should bring them a banned 360, or one with a dead Ethernet port.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Geek Squad
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jan 10 2008, 10:47 AM) View Post

haha, now THAT would be worth $15 to see.

HotKnife420

• Archived User
Geek Squad
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 12:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jan 10 2008, 06:47 PM) View Post

I'm sure they're updating from a disc. It'd be much faster than connecting to the internet each time.