xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 2GB levels in Killzone 2 and running in 720p 30 fps  (Read 296 times)

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
2GB levels in Killzone 2 and running in 720p 30 fps
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(dvsone @ Aug 27 2007, 04:30 AM) View Post

Your talking about scaling. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure most textures are made in the native resolution of the game. If a game is native 1080p, most of the textures (if not all) will be in 1080p. And a 1080p texture is 3 times larger than a 720p texture.

it has nothing to do with scaling.

Texture resolution is completely independent of the final target render resolution.

Here's a good run down of understanding texture resolutions:
http://www.thegnomon...exture_res.html

Basically if you have a 100x100 texture stretched across a wall in the game it has nothing to do what what resolution the game is rendering to... that texture is still the same size and is still stretched across the same amount of wall space.

The textures on every object in the game can be a completely different resolutions... it's a matter of developer choice in terms of how much memory they have to work with and what needs more detail and what doesn't.

Obviously if you're dumping out to a display at a higher rendered output resolution you'll be able to see more detail (or lack of detail) in the textures than you would at a lower resolution. So if a game will never go beyond 480p there is a point of diminishing returns in terms of the resolution of the textures.... However, just because they render to 1080p  doesn't mean they're going to use higher textures resolutions...

If you're still not getting this let me put it in an example...

Lets say you painted a texture on a piece of paper... the texture is made up of tiny squares like pixels... if you're standing at 10ft you might not notice any of the squares and the picture looks natural, but if you're up really close you can easily see all of the squares that make up the texture.

Now lets hang it on a wall... If your picture is 20 squares by 40 squares... that is it's resolution... Now lets take a picture with a digital camera at a resolution of 1280x720... just because the picture is 720p doesn't mean the texture is any better or any worse.

If you take that 720p picture at 10ft it will probably look good even though it's low resolution, if you take the picture at 1ft then it will probably look like crap...

Now if I use a 1080p camera does it change the quality of my texture? No of course not... except since the 1080p camera show more detail anything closer than 20ft and I can start to see the limited quality of my texture.

Now from a developer standpoint I want to use the best textures I can so that they look good at any distance even in higher resolutions. But I might only have limited resources to work with... so I trade off... some of my textures will be low resolutions like rock faces dirt and grass... while other textures will be high resolution like character faces and weapons. This will give me detail where it matters and reduce the detail where it doesn't matter so I can save some space.

This is also why going to 1080p sometimes give yous WORSE LOOKING results... basically you're allowing you're self to see all the flaws in the graphics where lower resolutions would provide a natural blending of the textures hiding their flaws.

Other techniques are used to soften textures like Alpha Filtering (first used on the N64 IIRC) which is like Anti Aliasing for textures and prevents you from seeing jaggies in the textures when viewed up close

this is why when you walk up to a wall in an FPS the image on the wall is a blurry mess, even though it looks decent from a reasonable distance.

</today's lesson>

d-range

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 10:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Aug 27 2007, 04:12 PM) *

I think you ought to stop babbling, especially as regards games that have not yet been released and that you have not played yet. Some people are interested in the tech specs. If this was a 360 we were talking you would all be creaming yourselves over technical babble.

I wouldn't. I have no idea how many polygons the character models in BioShock or the cars in Forza Motorsport have, how many GB's the levels or the tracks occupy or how many frames per second they run. I just play them, and they look and play great. That's about all I care about where games are concerned.

Personal opinion. Try judging a game when you have played it rather than basing your opinions on a website review. No substitute for real live hands on play over a period of time.

Agreed. But you know just as well that you cannot play each and every game out there, especially if you don't own the console the game runs on. So forming a judgement based on reviews is not so strange. People get paid to play games all day, every day, and I can only assume that they can form a qualified judgement about new games. So if 4 respected review sites or magazines draw the conclusion a game is good or bad, I think it's a safe bet for judgement and/or scrutiny of the available library of games for a console. Right now you just cannot deny that there are no real must-have games that really justify repeating over and over again about how great PS3 hardware is. The hardware *might* be great and it *might* be much better than a 360, but there's *no* evidence whatsoever in the form of *games* at the moment.

The same could be said for all the armchair experts here taking guesses at how games will run and  what the technical problems will be.

I don't consider myself an expert, but I'm not an armchair expert either. Actually, I'm a professional software engineer who graduated on computer graphics and did a lot of GFX programming in the past (for fun btw). I also read up on the subject through a few websites (ao xbox-scene/ps3-scene), because the hardware and console development interests me from a developer viewpoint. So I think I know at least a tiny bit about the hardware in the current consoles. That said, the PS3 has a lot of CPU potential, but it trails the 360 in terms of raw GPU power. That's not my opinion, it's a fact, and developers confirm it. So the repeated focus Sony puts on the superiority of the hardware annoys me, especially because they keep repeating it over and over and over. It just doesn't cut it for me, I want evidence in the form of games, not PR-speak.

All I see in this section is the same small group of people coming out with the same old crap.

They come out with the same old crap in response to the same old crap that is repeated in all these articles. About who's winning the HD format war, how big PS3 games are, how many polygons are used, how great the Cell CPU is, etc. etc. It's getting repetitive. I know there's not much real news about actual PS3 games coming out real soon, but don't blame anyone for posting the same stuff, if all we read about the PS3 is the same crap that does not translate to games yet.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 10:55:00 AM »

I smell lots of disk catching on this one, I wonder what the load times are like?

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007, 12:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(d-range @ Aug 27 2007, 09:29 AM) View Post

They come out with the same old crap in response to the same old crap that is repeated in all these articles. About who's winning the HD format war, how big PS3 games are, how many polygons are used, how great the Cell CPU is, etc. etc. It's getting repetitive. I know there's not much real news about actual PS3 games coming out real soon, but don't blame anyone for posting the same stuff, if all we read about the PS3 is the same crap that does not translate to games yet.

I absolutely agree with that right there.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2007, 03:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(d-range @ Aug 27 2007, 05:29 PM) *

and over and over. It just doesn't cut it for me, I want evidence in the form of games, not PR-speak.

In that respect it is no different to articles in 360 Gen stating over and over about this game runs 60FPS on the 360 or how the graphics are this that and the other. Its the same old thing but with one difference because this is an Xbox site anything technical said about ...IE Halo 3 is greeted with huge adoration and how fantastic it will be because of this capability and that piece of development.
 I wonder why the reverse is not true.
 It is clear that anything positive said about a PS3 game makes some of you feel threatened for some reason, to the point you will find any reason to rubbish the game before it arrives on the market.
It may be a very good game, it may not but that decisions should be made on experience of the finished game.
It is a subjective thing anyway but that is why I would rather read some reviews on stuff already out

mlmadmax I have not heard you say one thing you like about your PS3. I would love to know why you actually bought it to start with (did you not research it) and if it turned out to be an unfulfilled dream why you still have it?

This post has been edited by Chancer: Aug 27 2007, 10:29 PM

Mojiba

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Aug 27 2007, 10:24 PM) *

In that respect it is no different to articles in 360 Gen stating over and over about this game runs 60FPS on the 360 or how the graphics are this that and the other."

Hummm... maybe because Madden NFL 08 was already released and those graphics comparisons were made in, you know, games that were actually in shelves? Can you see the difference? Taking something that actually exists in a real form that can be touched and experienced and evaluated by a real person free from PR BS exclusivity, from something that only exists in the mind of who wants to sell it. That's the problem with hype, it only works and lasts till the product gets public, and if it do not deliver, public can, and have the right to, get angry and feel cheated. Well, at least someone who have minimum critic's sense.

I know that it's a hard time to SDF members, frustration after frustration, see your beloved brand being stomped by the competition, those hyped great games fall apart the day they were released, having to believe that the next one will really stand the hype, and frustration again, an eternal wait from something that will ever come from some time in the future, and wait after wait, frustration again. Yup, hard times, people have to be very, very defensive to stand this situation... or just open their eyes and accept that it isn't the second coming, sat, and enjoy your Blu-ray movies while wait =)

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007, 05:55:00 PM »

To chancer,

I have said positive things about the PS3 specifically it is very reliable and they have added features lately that are good and the blue ray player is good. I did do some research but I am just a tech whore and have to have the new stuff. You also have to take into account when it came out in the states it had many bugs that it just shouldn't have had. I also had HD-dvd and wanted blu-ray as well and it really was a great player when it was released but now (in the states at least) there is better for cheaper.

I was counting on a few games that got pushed back and there hasn't been anything on the PS3 that really gets my juices flowing in a very long time. I had lair on preorder but it hasn't been doing to well in reviews so i will probably rent it.

As far as the 360 slinging the tech babble I havn't read any articles like that lately (i don't go to that site you refered to though) and it feels to me that sony won't let up. I realise I have a negative attitude about my PS3 in general but that is because I haven't had a good experiance with the unit. I haven't had a good experiance with my Wii either but that is a whole different topic.

Why havn't I sold it, well it plays blu-ray and has a lot of potential. I understand how annying it can be when everyone always has something negative to say about the PS3 even when they don't own one or havn't played any of the games. I have done both however and this is just my spin on things, you have had a much better experiance than I have and that is great. I by no means want a looser or winner in the console industry because compitition is a good thing. I do have my favorite gaming machine though and that is my 360 and PC so that is what I am going to favor. It just comes down to opinion right and this is just the way I see it, not trying to piss anyone off or anything.

This post has been edited by mlmadmax: Aug 28 2007, 01:04 AM

dvsone

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Aug 27 2007, 05:05 PM) *
</today's lesson>
Thanks for the correction twisted.

Chancer, as a forum member we are all welcome to our opinions. We all know you are now active in promoting the PS3 and you are this forums defense force for negative chatter. We also notice that you express many negative opinions in the 360 forums whatever chance you get. I think it's pretty pathetic to criticize other members for expressing their personal opinions when you obviously don't hold back on your own. Lets just stick to the topic, right?

This post has been edited by dvsone: Aug 28 2007, 02:38 AM

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »

I would not be proud of 2GBs per level if I were them.

I feel that if this is the final compression state, then this will be a very short game, even with a 50GB Blu-ray.

And say hello to loading screens.

Thraxen

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »

QUOTE(epsilon72 @ Aug 26 2007, 11:49 PM) *

I would like to know what they did to get one level to take up 2GB of data.

(now, if the levels are of Turok 2 length I could understand somewhat, but I doubt that they will be)

Haha... no doubt.  And, damn, some of the save points were so far apart.  You had to be prepared to play for 45 minutes just to be able to save again.  I loved that game.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2007, 02:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(dvsone @ Aug 28 2007, 02:33 AM) View Post

Thanks for the correction twisted.

Chancer, as a forum member we are all welcome to our opinions. We all know you are now active in promoting the PS3 and you are this forums defense force for negative chatter. We also notice that you express many negative opinions in the 360 forums whatever chance you get. I think it's pretty pathetic to criticize other members for expressing their personal opinions when you obviously don't hold back on your own. Lets just stick to the topic, right?

In actual fact I have positive and negative to say about all consoles but I actually like the lot of them. In fact my launch 360 is still going strong so I have no negative points about the 3ROD to give.
Your part about "Let's just stick to the topic" is the whole point. A lot of the posts are not simply pro or anti the topic in question but a simple anti Sony one liners etc.
 I visit all sections to post but a clear pattern is emerging in this section in particular. In fact some of the posts and members I was referring to you don't even know about because the posts are made invisible.
Posts of the quality of Twisteds I look forward to reading because the explanations are clear and the viewpoint and reasons for or against are put forward excellently. So I am no defence force for negative chatter. It is the simple "Sony can suck a D**k post that I am against and will act on.

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »

All i am sayin is the original killlzone was one of the worst games ever made, It flopped big time. Now they can pretty up killzone 2 all they want but if they don't get the gamepaly right who cares how big it is.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2007, 12:46:00 PM »

QUOTE(mlmadmax @ Aug 28 2007, 05:39 PM) View Post

All i am sayin is the original killlzone was one of the worst games ever made, It flopped big time. Now they can pretty up killzone 2 all they want but if they don't get the gamepaly right who cares how big it is.

TBH it is not a game I would look at purchasing because I never liked the original. I may rent it first to check it out, but it is not a title I await with anticipation.

dmb062082

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2007, 03:14:00 PM »

All I have to say is.... Warhawk is 798 mb. I can fit that shit on a cdr and its arguably the best ps3 game out to date. I am sick of people trying to force feed me this shit with a spoon coated in media spin. =)

This post has been edited by dmb062082: Aug 28 2007, 10:17 PM

ludacrisvp

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2007, 07:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(dmb062082 @ Aug 28 2007, 04:14 PM) View Post

All I have to say is.... Warhawk is 798 mb. I can fit that shit on a cdr and its arguably the best ps3 game out to date. I am sick of people trying to force feed me this shit with a spoon coated in media spin. =)

Too bad that a CD-R is at most 700MB before formatting so there is not a way for you to do that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3