xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Free Gran Turismo Knocks PS3 Network on its Ass  (Read 810 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
Free Gran Turismo Knocks PS3 Network on its Ass
« on: December 23, 2006, 03:02:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 23-12-2006 16:55 EST

From kotaku.com:

I know the Gran Turismo demo isn't supposed to hit until tomorrow, but early this morning there were several reports of people being able to download it.

And it looks like word has spread, as of about 8 a.m. the network has been knocked-out. According to the Playstation 3 forums, the help center is telling people that the network was knocked out because it got too busy.

Read More: kotaku.com

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 02:42:00 PM »

The demo is nearly 625MB and it is downloading wicked fast for me.

But I did have some trouble logging on earlier.

This post has been edited by Ranger72: Dec 23 2006, 10:48 PM

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 03:09:00 PM »

wow........thats crazy  blink.gif

ZenoX

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 03:55:00 PM »

Just downloaded the new Gran Turismo Demo, Very Good Game. Graphics are great, and did not have a problem downloading the Update OR Game!

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 05:05:00 PM »

I am in the process of downloading righ now. It is going relatively slow but that is normal speed for my PS3.
I thought this was only coming out for japan. Hope it is sweet.

Exist2Resist

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 08:03:00 PM »

Good to hear that the demo is out in the US.
So if the PS3 network can't handle the GT demo, how are they ever going to handle gaming on a scale such as GOW or Halo 2 like they do on XBOX LIVE. Thats not good news at all for the sony camp.
I guess they need those Military Grade servers like M$ has got for XBL.
LOL

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 10:28:00 PM »

1080p! biggrin.gif

Pheidias

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 02:40:00 AM »

exist2resist, you mean those servers that choked for a week following the market place video release. And your also aware that 625mb of online play that probably takes you 2-3 weeks to get to. And doesn't MS make you host the games yourself?

But yeah this is the ps3 and sony we are talking about so of course there must be something negative to be said.

Watch out for the mistletoe

redwolf

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2006, 06:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(Exist2Resist @ Dec 24 2006, 05:03 AM) View Post
Good to hear that the demo is out in the US.
So if the PS3 network can't handle the GT demo, how are they ever going to handle gaming on a scale such as GOW or Halo 2 like they do on XBOX LIVE. Thats not good news at all for the sony camp.
I guess they need those Military Grade servers like M$ has got for XBL.
LOL

you can even play games (without ping limits) on XBC and XLink. you don't need powerful servers.

in short, when you download content (demo, movies etc.) you're downloading it from a server hosting it, which may have mirrors for each countries/region. but for most games when you play LIVE, all LIVE does is reroutes players to xbox to another xbox. i.e. as the person said above, host it yourself.

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2006, 07:57:00 AM »

QUOTE(Pheidias @ Dec 24 2006, 10:40 AM) View Post

exist2resist, you mean those servers that choked for a week following the market place video release. And your also aware that 625mb of online play that probably takes you 2-3 weeks to get to. And doesn't MS make you host the games yourself?

But yeah this is the ps3 and sony we are talking about so of course there must be something negative to be said.

so basically when millions of ppl download shit on xbl the servers choke but when a mere 500,000 (if that many) download something on sony's servers, they choke? and you dont see anything wrong with that?

whatever...

its funny you have a problem with negativity towards the ps3 yet I dont hear you singing any praises for MS lately rolleyes.gif

Exist2Resist

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2006, 11:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(epsilon72 @ Dec 24 2006, 12:35 AM) *

What that does have to do with anything, 1080p ?!, both machines are capable of 1080p resolution.

QUOTE(Pheidias @ Dec 24 2006, 04:40 AM) *

Yes, Millions of users downloading 4 gb of HD content at a time vs thousands of users downloading 600 mb at a time. Yes of course M$ makes you host your games yourself, isn't that how its done you always host the games yourself on the 360, original xbox, PC, PS2, Game Cube. And we know that XBL can handle the equvalent of what sonys servers cant handle, look at the GRAW expansion pack, thats about 700 MB, when that came out they didnt have any problems. Either way the network still has to prove itself. And yes i have absolutely nothing negative to say about the 360, because they know how to design a gaming system. Up untill yesterday i hated them for only offering 90 day manufactures warranty, but they have extended that forl a year now. Besides we could get into this long debate on which gaming system is superior, blah blah blah, .... and i would still win.

QUOTE(redwolf @ Dec 24 2006, 08:13 AM) *

you can even play games (without ping limits) on XBC and XLink. you don't need powerful servers.

in short, when you download content (demo, movies etc.) you're downloading it from a server hosting it, which may have mirrors for each countries/region. but for most games when you play LIVE, all LIVE does is reroutes players to xbox to another xbox. i.e. as the person said above, host it yourself.

Yes you could play on XBC or Xlink, but then youre missing out on the Xbox Live experience, which is far superior than both of those services. And then you dont have ping limits, so you could have some noob sitting on the other side with a dialup connection. I'll stick to XBL. But yes there are alternatives. I do however like the way they integrated the Xlink service to XBMC on the original xbox. That was kinda cool.
What i was saying is that if they can't handle thousands of users downloadign a measly 700 mb, what promise do you have when Sony comes out with a game that has popularity like GOW or Halo2, that it will not crash the servers. The information is hosted, but the problem is not the information, it is the actual traffic.

This post has been edited by Exist2Resist: Dec 24 2006, 07:06 PM

Pheidias

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2006, 02:12:00 PM »

I'm just saying to great a demand crumbles anything. Not even the all mighty MS can handle it, look at the video market place look at the halo sign up. Also keep in mind that its a bigger blunder for ms not being able to deliver content you have to pay to get vs free content

I just found it strange that not one of you voiced your opinion on how crappy ms was for not being able to keep up with the demand for the system you own, but the system you don't own that one you are voicing your concern about...

And incognegro what exactly is it you wan't me to say MS did correct lately? I gave them 2 thumbs up for finely going 1 year warrenty,wich not doing from the start is the biggest plunder from any next gen contender so far. I'm wickedly jealous of the japanese xbox owners for getting BD this christmas. Ditto for the americans and the video market place.

But i'd be more concerned if I owned a xbox knowing that any time your forced on a xbox live upgrade you have an increasing risk of bricking or damaging your console. And MS are still denying it and making you pay for fixing something they broke.

calderra

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2006, 05:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(Pheidias @ Dec 24 2006, 10:12 PM) *

I just found it strange that not one of you voiced your opinion on how crappy ms was for not being able to keep up...

But i'd be more concerned if I owned a xbox knowing that any time your forced on a xbox live upgrade you have an increasing risk of bricking or damaging your console. And MS are still denying it and making you pay for fixing something they broke.

Wrong and wrong.

Xbox Live has gotten slow due to major downloads, but it mostly throttles the downloads to keep online. Yes, that meant people trying to download the HD videos for the first few days were probably getting dialup-type download speeds, but the actualy gameplay still worked flawlessly.

And how can you say Microsoft is making you pay for bricked consoles, when they extended their warranty? If they bricked it, they have it covered. And the actual number of people who've ever been bricked has been tiny anyway- it's not like they're taking out 1/5th of the install base or anything. And almost all of the time anyway, even if your console isn't under warranty, Microsoft has still been fixing consoles. And not just fixing, but overnighting both ways with a great turnaround time, and frequently giving free hard drives to Core customers.

dvsone

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2006, 08:24:00 AM »

This is just another thing sony needs to work on. Seriously, how may people are actually downloading this? 100k to 300k.

I remember MS talking about allowing gold members to have access to demos and trailers first before silver members. This will probably be implemented in the future to stop crashes when millions of people are downloading huge demos and trailers on release. As soon as something big is released you have millions of people smashing the servers. It really is amazing the amount of data that's pulled off those servers, and it's only going to get bigger and bigger. More users, more demos & trailers, and faster connections. With the exception of the video marketplace issues, I'm amazed by how stable the system is.

How can sony possibly match this when it isn't funded by any users. I'm expecting they will have to limit the amount of free content they distribute. Maybe they will charge the publishers to distribute demos and trailers as it's advertising for their title. Who knows, MS might already be charging the publishers for this.

Ravo5002

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2006, 10:43:00 AM »

lol, even with about 0 users on its network (since noone can actually get a ps3) it still manages to go flat...

sony quality... gosh

smile.gif i know im overreacting, but this opportunity was just 2 good to let it pass whahaha... let the fanboy commentz start
Pages: [1] 2 3