xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Psn Network You Get What You Pay For  (Read 819 times)

mc_365

• Archived User

murauder

• Archived User
Psn Network You Get What You Pay For
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »

this sucks. PSN is still down and i don wanna turn on my ps3 and lose any data... i was going to play some more borderlands today...

Obveron

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »

hahaa oh man, this is happening to all my friends.  ps3's are being bricked by a mere leap year date problem.

QUOTE(iammeiam on neogaf @ Mar 1 2010, 10:59 PM) *

The going theory is that the PS3 is storing some form of date in GMT, then modifying that to get whatever you see in the on-screen clock. That modification process seems to be fine--the system can take 2/28/2010, 9PM GMT, add four hours, and get 3/1/2010, 1AM random time zone.

What's apparently effed, as speculation goes, is when the internal GMT-tracking rolls over to 3/1. It's either not rolling, or rolling to 2/29, at which point a system tries to add/subtract from 2/29, which it can't do because the front-end calendar doesn't have a 2/29/2010, and shit explodes. Seemed to happen around 4PM PDT, which I think is 12AM GMT, so.

And the PS3 launched in 2006; it's hit 4 2/28s so far. 2007 and 2009 were odd-numbered years; 2008 was an even, and a leap year. 2010 is the first even non-leap-year the system's been around for. If some sort of base-level math is choking on itself, it may have ruled out the odd 2007 and 2009 successfully, but is convinced the even 2010 is a leap year (this part I'm less sure of, but is why leap year could theoretically come into play at some point.)

This post has been edited by Obveron: Mar 2 2010, 04:01 AM

hamwbone

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »

http://blog.us.playstation.com/

PlayStation Network Service Restored
Posted by Patrick Seybold // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media
We are aware that the internal clock functionality in the PS3 units other than the slim model, recognized the year 2010 as a leap year. Having the internal clock date change from February 29 to March 1 (both GMT), we have verified that the symptoms are now resolved and that users are able to use their PS3 normally.
If the time displayed on the XMB is still incorrect, users are able to adjust time settings manually or via the internet. If we have new information, we will update you through the PlayStation.Blog or PlayStation.com.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(Obveron @ Mar 2 2010, 02:56 AM) View Post

hahaa oh man, this is happening to all my friends.  ps3's are being bricked by a mere leap year date problem.

Talk about exaggeration "Bricked" hardly
never affected mine and was sorted straight away...still forums always have scaremongers laugh.gif  laugh.gif