xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Home is Where You Can't Say 'Hello'?  (Read 924 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
Home is Where You Can't Say 'Hello'?
« on: December 28, 2008, 10:33:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 28-12-2008 23:57 EST

From kotaku.com:

Anything as deep and complex as PlayStation Home is bound to have its growing pains. SCEA's hometown paper, the San Francisco Chronicle, took a look at some, including some hypersensitive chat filtering.

For a time, seems "hello" was filtered out of chat (I'm assuming this is if a user entered it from a keypad himself, not as a shortcut) because it began with "hell," a no-no in Home (but entirely permissible by the FCC, so, come on ...)

Others also take issue with the blanket supposition that words like "gay," "bisexual" and "lesbian," -- not to mention "Christ" and "Jew" are pejoratives, when they can be used to identify interest groups and communities that one reasonably expects would organize in this virtual world. Sony, in all fairness, faces a difficult task (are insult-recognition-heuristics out there?) but says it's working on a solution.

"The key message is it's a beta and it's evolving on a daily basis," SCEA spokesman Patrick Seybold tells the Chron. "We've said early on that user behavior and feedback will shape where we go with Home."

Full Story: kotaku.com

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 08:14:00 AM »

"The key message is it's a beta and it's evolving on a daily basis," SCEA spokesman Patrick Seybold tells the Chron. "We've said early on that user behavior and feedback will shape where we go with Home."
Well, I better hurry up and get on there to show them what I want! lol

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »

I have tried it and it's not for me, so my views will not count. The kids like it but it's boring

commandersafi

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 12:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Dec 29 2008, 01:30 PM) View Post

I have tried it and it's not for me, so my views will not count. The kids like it but it's boring

Same here...I was really hoping for a better experience. It's great and all, i just can't see myself using it on a regular basis

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(commandersafi @ Dec 30 2008, 02:25 AM) View Post

Same here...I was really hoping for a better experience. It's great and all, i just can't see myself using it on a regular basis
I haven't used it since the day I received an invite and downloaded it. Sony may be wasting their time. And we all know Time ≈ Money.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 06:38:00 PM »

I like the bowling section, it's probably the best feature, but I would like to decorate my summer house more, like with game paintings and what not. Also it would be nice to invite your online friends into your house, I mean is that possible yet?

matallica28

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 11:50:00 AM »

I dislike Home, I've deleted if off my PS3 (as much as it can be deleted). I probably won't be going back on it, as there just isnt anything really special their, for me at least.

ihaveabon3r

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 01:44:00 AM »

Home is lame now but it's still the beta it will get better I hope.