xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: PlayStation Home Beta Service Will Become Available to All PS3 Users o  (Read 1457 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User

PlayStation Home Beta Service Will Become Available to All PS3 Users on December 11
Posted by XanTium | 11-12-2008 0:04 EST

From the press release:

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that its highly anticipated PlayStation®Home Beta service for PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3®) will become available for all PS3 users around the world *1 on December 11, 2008.  Following the successful completion of the closed beta service, PlayStation Home's open beta service will continue to evolve with new features and functionality.

PlayStation Home is a ground-breaking 3D social gaming community available on PS3 that allows users to interact, communicate and share gaming experiences.  By leveraging the power of PS3, PlayStation Home delivers overwhelming visual graphics and rich gaming social experiences only possible on the PS3 platform.  Within PlayStation Home, users can create and customize their own unique avatars and explore virtual community in real time where they can communicate freely through text or voice chat.  PlayStation Home users will not only be able to enjoy variety of entertainment content such as mini-games, videos and special events along with their friends, but will also be able to create their own community by using the "Club*2" feature to create clubs with other PlayStation Home users who share the same interests.

PlayStation Home, available as a free download*3 starting December 11, will launch directly from the PlayStation Home icon on the PlayStation®Network column of XMB™ (XrossMediaBar) on PS3.  Users will be able to experience basic features and services of PlayStation Home, free of charge*4.  PlayStation Home will allow open interaction among users, business partners and SCE, and will evolve with additional features including dedicated game spaces, special events and exclusive themed items, to further enrich the entertainment experience on the PS3 platform.

"PlayStation Home is truly a promising network community service on the PlayStation platform, made possible with the powerful combination of PS3's overwhelming computational power and PlayStation Network that covers many countries around the globe," said Kazuo Hirai, President and Group CEO, SCE. "We are committed to providing PS3 users with exciting gaming experiences with PlayStation Home and together with our partners and users, expand the new world of interactive entertainment as we move forward."

For users in North America, Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) will launch game themed high-definition virtual environments including the Uncharted: Drake's Fortune™ and Far Cry 2 spaces and the soon to be released Warhawk™, Resistance, Guitar Hero® and SOCOM spaces.  In these environments, users will discuss specific games, plan strategies and access content and clues that will enhance their gaming experience.  Through these virtual environments, publishers will be able to increase and extend consumer interest in their game titles via new mediums of game play.  SCEA is partnering with Activision, Disney Eidos, Electronic Arts, Lucas Arts, THQ and UBISOFT, to develop virtual environments among other content for PlayStation Home.

"PlayStation Home is a social gaming service unlike anything else on the market and we are excited to be partnering with gaming and non-gaming partners to develop content that connects and entertains today's PS3 users like never before," said Susan Panico, Senior Director of PlayStation Network, SCEA. "PlayStation Home is a tremendous addition to the growing suite of entertainment services available only through PlayStation Network."

SCEA is announcing partnerships with some of the world's most respected lifestyle brands during open beta including Lignet Roset, a contemporary furniture designer, and Diesel, an international fashion design company.  These partnerships will allow users to purchase customizable furniture for their personal apartments and designer clothes for their avatars, respectively.

A variety of studio partners including Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and Paramount Pictures will bring the PlayStation® community original intellectual property through dedicated spaces, sponsorship of in-world events, virtual items and exclusive media viewings in the PlayStation Home Theater.  Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will use PlayStation Home to promote its latest films, offering exclusive video content, interviews and appearances from film talent.  Paramount Digital Entertainment will bring to PlayStation Home virtual goods and video content based on its most relevant and popular franchises.

As the very first consumer brand space, Red Bull has created the Red Bull Island featuring an airplane racing game modeled after the Red Bull Air Race World Championship. The space is designed to facilitate interaction among the PlayStation community, creating opportunities to interact and take part in various Red Bull events and experiences. Expansion and completion of the island will follow in early 2009.

PlayStation Home is exclusive to PS3, free to download and easy to join.  It's the ultimate online community - a place to meet friends, play the latest games together, dance to new music, watch videos in a social setting, and host parties in their personal apartments.  With more spaces being created and partners like Diesel, Electronic Arts, and Red Bull coming on board, the PlayStation Home experience is just getting started.

SCE will vigorously promote the expansion of the world of PS3 by introducing new services that will open up new possibilities and enjoyment in interactive entertainment.

spurs2k5

• Archived User
PlayStation Home Beta Service Will Become Available to All PS3 Users o
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 11:08:00 PM »

a little to late. they shouldve done this a loooonnnnnnngggggg time ago. Now they are trying to find anything to gain ground here in the states gainst 360 and wii. While the ps3 is a good system with some excellent titles, the 360 has most of the big names, and the wii is just more cost efficient.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 05:20:00 AM »

I wouldn't say that, I would argue that the 360 was catching up with response in NXE. I felt NXE was to rushed, although it looks nice, Home just looks amazing, well worth the wait, if they released it a year ago it would be crap. And I find most of the 360 games are rather repitive, but at least the PS3 has some unique games like LBP and WipeoutHD. I'd rather have quality than quantity.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 10:05:00 AM »

They always stated the public beta would be Xmas time. This is no reaction to anything MS did with the NXE. Home was born long before then. I would rather them wait and have it right. There is more to it than some avatars and the NXE. They are on track with what they said would be happening.
In it's beta form a lot of stuff is not enabled so at present I don't really use it. I can see it being popular though. It is not an attempt to boost sales anywhere. If Sony wish to do that at present they would have drop the price,  but thankfully they have not made some knee jerk reaction to MS dropping the 360 price.

This post has been edited by Chancer: Dec 11 2008, 06:05 PM

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »

It didn't run as smooth for me as some of you are saying. I'm not sure why that is. But it seems to me if Sony was really as serious about Home as they make us believe, they would have more programmers on the job and this wouldn't be a Beta release. Sony must not be doing all too well. They announced yesterday massive layoffs were coming... like many others out there. Although, I can't help but to think Sony's slap 10% more on the sticker price because it has our name on it concept has something to do with it.

And I guess I, like the rest of you, cannot help but to mention the Xbox. I think MS has done a fantastic job of taking what was once considered a hard core piece of gaming equipment, and reinventing it to become something everyone can enjoy at a price that beats both of the other two systems. Everyone copied everyone this time around... so we should get over that argument. MS did something that has never happened in the history of gaming before with the NXE. I'm not sure where this Home experiment will land Sony, or if they even have any real plans for it, but one thing is for sure: People are starting to feel the gaming division is lost and without direction... almost the equivalent to their car audio division.

This post has been edited by Elemino: Dec 12 2008, 04:02 AM

chronno

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »

I was playing with it this morning.  

Pro:  Better avatar creation than both the Wii and 360 combined.  Good quality graphics.  Keyboard and headset compatible.  Good interface with all kinds of emotions.

Cons:  It takes forever to load all the skins for the people, and it's still early so there probably will be more people later.  I was upset that all I got for furniture was bone white and some 1960s wallpaper.  A new chair is $0.99.  

It has potential and I'll give it a lot of leeway since it's still bata but it's just not there yet.

Douse everyone get the same apartment when they first start or did I get lucky with a corner penthouse loft with an ocean view?

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »

LOL... I got the same ocean view as well.

I agree in that your facial features have a lot more flexibility than you do on the xbox, but xbox definately has more clothes and accessories... and they don't give you much either.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(Elemino @ Dec 12 2008, 03:34 AM) View Post

And I guess I, like the rest of you, cannot help but to mention the Xbox. I think MS has done a fantastic job of taking what was once considered a hard core piece of gaming equipment, and reinventing it to become something everyone can enjoy at a price that beats both of the other two systems.

Shame the reliability doesn't  even beat a Morphy Richards Toaster. If you mean they re-invented the equipment due to the NXE, you are surely jesting. Half the 360 guys say they hate it and the avatar stuff is a direct copy from other systems.

MS did something that has never happened in the history of gaming before with the NXE.

Which was???

I'm not sure where this Home experiment will land Sony, or if they even have any real plans for it, but one thing is for sure: People are starting to feel the gaming division is lost and without direction... almost the equivalent to their car audio division.

Would that be the same car Audio division that is OE supplier to Fords now?
Which people feel this? You can't surely be speaking for everyone else.
Home is not an experiment. Sony have laid out press releases on what the plan and progress will be.

All that said none of this stuff really appeals to me at the moment. I can't be arsed on any console making cartoon animated people and all that. All this stuff appeals to kids more.
The play TV and movies and stuff like that appeals more than home.
Oh I got the same apartment as well.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »

Dam I haven't been able to sign in since in it went open, getting a stupid error they should name it back to closed beta because that's what it feels like.

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Dec 12 2008, 02:56 PM) View Post

Which was???
It released the first new OS on a current gen system.

Would that be the same car Audio division that is OE supplier to Fords now?
No real car audio enthusiast cares anything about what OEM equipment is making it into a car... if you're an enthusiast, no explanation necessary.

Which people feel this? You can't surely be speaking for everyone else.
My wife is about as casual as you can get with gaming, playing maybe one to two games a month. Games like Uno, and Pixel Junk Monsters. But even she thinks Sony seems to have no direction. Any company that doesn't care their equipment isn't selling has no real direction.

If you mean they re-invented the equipment due to the NXE, you are surely jesting. Half the 360 guys say they hate it and the avatar stuff is a direct copy from other systems... All this stuff appeals to kids more.
That was the point... they are the audience that cannot afford to buy the system themselves. Most adults who wanted this stuff have it by now. I mean they reinvented it by coming out with all new controllers made for family electronic board like games, as well as releasing arcade games that are family oriented, bring the avatar which can join into a "party." No one on here can sit there and tell me the 360 is the same console it was when it released 3 years ago. It has way more features and flexibility than it did in November 2005. Now it can add that it has become a family friendly device, allowing you to watch movies, play games, and more. It isn't just a hard core gaming device anymore. If it was, people on here wouldn't be complaining.

spinr34

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 07:34:00 PM »

so i got on home last night and played around for a few hours. it feels like a cheap version of second life. look, this is what i want/expected from home and i don't believe it's that much to ask.
1) a truly open world, all loading is done via streaming.
2) i wanted to be able to walk out of my door and then walk 3 doors down to my friend's house. this whole, everyone has the same place thing is lame.
3) i want a bed and a bathroom
4) i want to make my character go to sleep, etc
5) i want a car
6) i want to be able to go out
7) i can continue but i think you all get the picture.

Major Dealbreakers:
1) Loading.
home is created by multiple spaces. each space is < 30 megs. i have no problem with this but whenever you want to go somewhere else, it has to go to a loading screen. i'd rather see some incomplete parts of the environment than have to wait for it to load.

2) Paying real money for items.
i'd much rather get credits for bowling, pool, playing the arcade games in the many different areas. maybe even get credit for trophies like a gamerscore on the 360 but be able to use those credits/points to get new shit for my home. is that too much to ask?

conclusion
back when home was first announced i was amazed and excited about the possibilities. however, after using it last night, i can say that it just adds another facet to the ps3 that isn't necessarily needed right now. the ps3 is still lacking a sense of community. i doubt anyone is going to buy a ps3 just for home when they can download second life and play it for free. however, for the casual gamers that might've otherwise felt pressured into at least trying to a full fledged title, they will just hang out in home. but, sony will make profits off all of the people that bought the ps3 just for blurary and end up finding their way to home. these people will more than likely buy stuff from the stores to put in their home and might even be the most common 'home addicts'. there will be a strong mixing of people though, and i'm not sure if these casual people will be able to tolerate the smack of the more 'hardcore gamers' when the 'hardcore' person gets on the mic and starts mouthing off at everyone. basically what i'm getting at is, instead of bringing people together, home will just create another sect of the ps3. sony's job for their next console will be to bring all of the ps3's aspects together into one community. i am chalking up the ps3 as a community failure but, if sony plays their cards right, their next console could be a community powerhouse.

another opinion:
home, in its current state belongs on the wii. wii sports bowling + interactive environment of home would = win.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 02:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(Elemino @ Dec 12 2008, 11:44 PM) View Post

No real car audio enthusiast cares anything about what OEM equipment is making it into a car... if you're an enthusiast, no explanation necessary.

The point was nothing to do with quality in certain vehicles. You were making out that the Sony audio division was finished. Not true. Oh and as for OE equipment Audio you are showing a distinct lack of knowledge as to the systems fitted to some cars. Perhaps you drive an old cheap motor and the OEM stereo is poor? I don't know.

My wife is about as casual as you can get with gaming, playing maybe one to two games a month. Games like Uno, and Pixel Junk Monsters. But even she thinks Sony seems to have no direction. Any company that doesn't care their equipment isn't selling has no real direction.

Oh sorry i didn't realise it was your wife whose opinion you were touting as some mass surveyed fact.

That was the point... they are the audience that cannot afford to buy the system themselves. Most adults who wanted this stuff have it by now. I mean they reinvented it by coming out with all new controllers made for family electronic board like games, as well as releasing arcade games that are family oriented, bring the avatar which can join into a "party." No one on here can sit there and tell me the 360 is the same console it was when it released 3 years ago. It has way more features and flexibility than it did in November 2005. Now it can add that it has become a family friendly device, allowing you to watch movies, play games, and more.

MS did something that has never happened in the history of gaming before with the NXE.

Talk about huge exaggeration on a change of interface.
Of course now it has cartoon avatar and looks different all the parents are going to say "Here have the money" to little Johnny. I would imagine the kids could never afford it but the ones paying were the Adults anyway.
Are you seriously implying that no adults bought this for kids because it didn't have the NXE and now will?

It isn't just a hard core gaming device anymore. If it was, people on here wouldn't be complaining.

They have been. You didn't see the posts. Even on a new subject today, people find the time to slate the NXE and Avatars http://forums.xbox-s...o...669445&st=0
Years of people spouting we don't want the 360 to be for "casual games" it's a "hardcore Gaming Machine". whatever that terminology is supposed to signify . Now suddenly it's great because it has a fluffy side too  laugh.gif

spinr34

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 06:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Dec 13 2008, 02:29 AM) View Post

Talk about huge exaggeration on a change of interface.
Of course now it has cartoon avatar and looks different all the parents are going to say "Here have the money" to little Johnny. I would imagine the kids could never afford it but the ones paying were the Adults anyway.
Are you seriously implying that no adults bought this for kids because it didn't have the NXE and now will?

all i think he was implying was that, never before has a console completely changed it's interface. up until this gen, consoles didn't really have any sort of interface. sure consoles have had something to default to if no game is inserted since the segacd. but, never before has a company completely switched up its interface. especially for something as favorable as the blades were. he is just trying to say that microsoft is continually doing new things and trying to innovate the space.

sony recently announced they have no plans to change the XMB since they use it across many different platforms and are happy with it. not that it's a bad thing just stating differences between the two companies.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(spinr34 @ Dec 13 2008, 01:57 PM) View Post

all i think he was implying was that, never before has a console completely changed it's interface. up until this gen, consoles didn't really have any sort of interface. sure consoles have had something to default to if no game is inserted since the segacd. but, never before has a company completely switched up its interface. especially for something as favorable as the blades were. he is just trying to say that microsoft is continually doing new things and trying to innovate the space.

The radical interface change of the Xbox 1 was the first change, albeit not brought about by MS but by hackers with chipped boxes and XBMC.  The ability to boot the original as an alternative as well.I miss those days

xtrilla

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 01:56:00 PM »

I think Home has great possibilities ,the loading times aren't good but its a good base to work on and grow. I would like to be able to buy real goods in Home like walking in to a store(like Amazon) and viewing a item in 3d and reading reviews and such. I know a lot of younger people might want a whole world like WoW which is nice too, I just want to be able to login play a few games maybe shop , download music and watch a trailer or two.

he radical interface change of the Xbox 1 was the first change, albeit not brought about by MS but by hackers with chipped boxes and XBMC. The ability to boot the original as an alternative as well.I miss those days

Does anyone else notice the similarities between XBMC and the 360 dashboard i sure did after i got a xbox 1 and put xbmc on it I thought Microsoft must of took the ideas straight from the coders.
Pages: [1] 2