xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Home 'Open Working Beta' Still On Track for 2008  (Read 288 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
Home 'Open Working Beta' Still On Track for 2008
« on: June 03, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 3-6-2008 22:41 EST

From blog.wired.com:

Sony's long-promised PlayStation 3 virtual world Home is still on track for a 2008 release, although it'll likely stay in beta.

While talking to senior director of PlayStation Network Susan Panico yesterday about Sony's new online PS3 magazine Qore, we got very briefly onto the subject of Home. Saying that the software is still due for release at the end of the year, Panico noted that the "rollout will be similar to Gmail," describing what will launch this year as an "open, working beta."

Full Story: blog.wired.com

cabose369

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 08:58:00 PM »

does anyone still care about this?????

really.. people who CARE about online gaming already have a 360 and Live.

Ps3 online has failed... just like Ps2's. Doesn't matter what they do with PS3 online now.... they are too late... no one is gonna topple XBL.

This post has been edited by cabose369: Jun 5 2008, 03:58 AM

NineT9mustang

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »

wow ^

I don't even know how to respond to your post... its hilarious, so... uninformed and blind

...sigh... I'll let someone else do it tongue.gif

Back on topic, good to see Home is still on track, my friends and I are eagerly awaiting Home! I'm so incredibly excited about it! I'm patient with how long its taking, whatever makes it a better product in the end, im okay with!

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 10:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(cabose369 @ Jun 5 2008, 03:58 AM) View Post

does anyone still care about this?????

really.. people who CARE about online gaming already have a 360 and Live.

Ps3 online has failed... just like Ps2's. Doesn't matter what they do with PS3 online now.... they are too late... no one is gonna topple XBL.

Pretty bold words... I'd expect more knowledge from someone who's been here since '06. Fact of the matter is that now that the basics are more or less covered on the PSN, Sony's online experience has nowhere to go but up. Most of the games on PS3 have the support of dedicated servers, which most people (myself included) prefer over p2p gaming. I also recall a recent announcement from Sony stating they've reached 1m PS3 users on the PSN. So far, I haven't experienced any outages on the network, unlike Xbox LIVE, where it's almost expected to occasionally crash.

I'm not trying to bash LIVE, as there's plenty of good things about it (other than paying to use the bandwidth you've already paid your ISP for, and then having on-screen advertisements on every dashboard blade except for 'System'), such as easy access to the latest game demos, themes/gamerpics (if that's your thing), movies/videos, etc; you're absolutely right that Xbox LIVE has a lot going for it, and it's not an easy service to match, let alone exceed. I'd prefer not to discount the PSN, however, as most of what XBL offers is simply 'extra'.

For those who don't know:
  • Downloadable demos, full games, & themes are available on both (with some free, and others not).
  • Friends list, in-game chat/messaging, and 'Invites' are supported on both (as of fw 2.4, coming any day now)
  • Online multiplayer free for PSN, requires paid subscription for XBL
  • SD & HD Movies & music videos are currently only found on the XBL marketplace, though Sony says they'll be selling movies on their service soon
  • Majority of PSN uses dedicated servers for games, wheras the vast majority of 360 titles use p2p instead

QUOTE(NineT9mustang @ Jun 5 2008, 05:35 AM) View Post

Back on topic, good to see Home is still on track, my friends and I are eagerly awaiting Home! I'm so incredibly excited about it! I'm patient with how long its taking, whatever makes it a better product in the end, im okay with!

Myself, too. The delays are killing me, but I'm more than morbidly curious. It's gonna be like the 'Sims for me wink.gif