xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: PLAYSTATION Store to undergo April revamp  (Read 266 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
PLAYSTATION Store to undergo April revamp
« on: March 31, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »

Posted by XanTium | 31-3-2008 12:17 EST

From the press release:

Customer feedback drives new design, interface and navigation Updates on hold for two weeks; new-look Store launches mid-April

This April, PLAYSTATION®Store, the online content store on PLAYSTATION®Network, is getting a whole new look and feel - and it's in response to feedback from the millions of PSN registrants in the PAL region.

The revamp comes in response to a survey last year which showed that many PLAYSTATION Store users wanted a better interface and easier navigation. The new design will deliver a hugely improved navigation system, much greater scope for categorisation and a dynamic new user interface.

Content will be suspended for two weeks while the improvements are carried out but users can look forward to a special update in mid-April.

There will be no weekly content updates between now and the re-launch, although users can still download content from the back catalogue, such as Warhawk™ and Gran Turismo™ 5 Prologue.

The PLAYSTATION Store revamp will not affect PLAYSTATION Network accounts or the virtual wallet system.

From blog.us.playstation.com

This morning, SCEA announced that the PLAYSTATION Store will be revamped with a new look in mid-April. We've heard your calls for a more fluid Store interface, and we think you'll be pleased with the results.

As some of the most passionate and knowledgeable PLAYSTATION 3 fans out there, here's some additional information on the revamped PLAYSTATION Store.

As you can see in the above screenshot, the new interface allows customers to browse through eight primary categories, rather than four, making it easier to locate games, demos, game add-ons and other content. It also enables us to put up to twice as many items per page, significantly cutting down the time it takes to browse through content.

Customers will be able to access, browse, shop and download content as usual prior to the store's re-opening. However, no additional downloadable content will be posted prior to then, including this Thursday, April 3rd, and next Thursday, April 10th. Regularly scheduled content updates will resume with the Store's re-opening, at which time additional games and game-related items will be added, including the downloadable version of the highly-anticipated exclusive PS3 title Gran Turismo 5 Prologue.

When the PLAYSTATION Store is set to re-open with the new interface, PS3 users will be prompted to download a firmware update which will enable entry to the new store.

Full Story: blog.us.playstation.com

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 02:26:00 PM »

Nice one. Good to see improvements being made. Looks less clunky.
Side note: Pain is absolutely hilarious best £4.99 I spent in a long time.

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »

It would be neat if they could do something similar to the dashboard of the ps3. Or at least make it customizable so the the xbmc ppl can make a custom one for it.

eduardor2k

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 08:01:00 PM »

Noce to see some improvements on the PSN. it's true it was ugly...

fiya

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 08:27:00 AM »

MUCH needed improvement! i just hope downloads get faster now cause they are slow as hell!

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 11:51:00 AM »

Looks great and it is about time, can't wait.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 01:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(fiya @ Apr 1 2008, 03:27 PM) View Post

MUCH needed improvement! i just hope downloads get faster now cause they are slow as hell!

Check your system. I only have an 8meg connection but store downloads have always been quick. I have seen this said before about downloads and installs but have honestly never had a problem with any download.

ludacrisvp

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Mar 31 2008, 03:26 PM) View Post

Nice one. Good to see improvements being made. Looks less clunky.
Side note: Pain is absolutely hilarious best £4.99 I spent in a long time.

I would have to agree with you.
The store looks so much better than the old one, and Pain is a very wonderfun game,
My buddies and I were able to get several hilarious hours from that game.

fiya

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 05:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Apr 1 2008, 10:20 PM) View Post

Check your system. I only have an 8meg connection but store downloads have always been quick. I have seen this said before about downloads and installs but have honestly never had a problem with any download.

Im gonna give that a try. I suspect ur right cause i could never get it to connect to media servers, but i can on the 360.

when i test the connection it says something about not suuporting IP fragments uhh.gif

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 12:37:00 AM »

I think your slow problems result from PSN just being slow itself, like Xbox Live was in the begining. I have a 15Mb download speed with gigabit ethernet to my ps3 (which it supports) and gigabit to my 360 (which it does not support more than 100Mb) but my 360 definately downloads faster.

BTW... Chancer, I think this new update may address those media issues I was having. One of the updates listed was the ability to play Divx files over 2GB. Maybe that's why my 360 played more video files.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 02:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(Elemino @ Apr 4 2008, 07:37 AM) View Post

I think your slow problems result from PSN just being slow itself, like Xbox Live was in the begining. I have a 15Mb download speed with gigabit ethernet to my ps3 (which it supports) and gigabit to my 360 (which it does not support more than 100Mb) but my 360 definately downloads faster.

BTW... Chancer, I think this new update may address those media issues I was having. One of the updates listed was the ability to play Divx files over 2GB. Maybe that's why my 360 played more video files.

Hopefully it should iron out the issues you have been having. I don't think my collection is anywhere near is as big as yours , so perhaps that's why I have been lucky so far.
Is it possible there are differences in download speeds between different areas of the World. It makes me wonder because , I read all the time about this issue and when I go to download stuff (which I do frequently), I am left thinking "What on earth do people mean when they say it is slow?" It could be a regional thing. I will download a biggish demo and time it to see the speed. It can't be the internet connection speed because I only have crappy Sky Broadband at 8 meg.

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 03:40:00 AM »

PSN downloads move super slow for me, but at my friend's house they seemed to move faster. I have a 60GB (US) PS3, and he has an 80 GB (US) PS3. We both have the same ISP and speed... dunno.

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 12:44:00 PM »

The downloads I would not say are slow by any means. They just aren't as fast as the downloads on the 360. That can make a difference when you're downloading gigabyte files over the internet. You have to remember Microsoft has tons of bandwidth. They are a software company after all, and you have to be able to download that software.

Two things will can seriously affect speed though. Cheap crappy router Vs Extremely good router, and wireless Vs wired.

This post has been edited by Elemino: Apr 4 2008, 07:45 PM