xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: PS3 To Offer More Than Just Achievements?  (Read 284 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
PS3 To Offer More Than Just Achievements?
« on: January 10, 2008, 11:06:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 11-1-2008 0:30 EST

From kotaku.com:

Sure, I'm over them, but I'm in the clear minority; most of you lot can't get enough of achievement points. You crave them. Oh, except for people who own only a PS3. You don't. But you soon will, and not just in Home's promised "trophy shelf" system either. PSN boss Eric Lempel:

"I know that an achievement system is very important to our consumers. With Home, and in addition to Home, we have some very exciting programs planned to recognize our consumers gaming skills and loyalty in new ways that go well beyond a single score."

Full Story: kotaku.com

kingofdaberbz

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 07:18:00 AM »

this a xbox site so most ppl here don't care since most don't own a ps3,but this sounds good I don't think any ps3 owners who
only own a ps3 wud care too much either lol

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 11:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(kingofdaberbz @ Jan 11 2008, 02:18 PM) View Post

this a xbox site so most ppl here don't care since most don't own a ps3,but this sounds good I don't think any ps3 owners who
only own a ps3 wud care too much either lol

Good job you don't speak for the majority then.
 I am glad this is coming to the PS3. yes I own one.
what the hell does the fact this is an Xbox site have to do with a news post in the PS3 section

RBJTech

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 03:28:00 PM »

I can't help feeling that Sony always have to get 'one up' on their rivals - why can't they just deliver some of their promised 'basic' functionality ?

IMO -  They need to walk before they can run ... XBL took years to get where it's at now ..

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 09:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(kingofdaberbz @ Jan 11 2008, 03:18 PM) View Post

this a xbox site so most ppl here don't care since most don't own a ps3,but this sounds good I don't think any ps3 owners who only own a ps3 wud care too much either lol

*THIS* is the PS3 forum (Scenyx > Playstation3 > Playstation Network Service etc). I believe you're looking for the xbox forums. Click back on "Scenyx Entertainment Community" near the top of the screen.

QUOTE(RBJTech @ Jan 11 2008, 11:28 PM) View Post

I can't help feeling that Sony always have to get 'one up' on their rivals - why can't they just deliver some of their promised 'basic' functionality ?

IMO -  They need to walk before they can run ... XBL took years to get where it's at now ..

They've already delivered basic functionality. I can get online, shop their store, browse the web, and chat with friends that aren't gaming. I feel more like Sony's been walking too long, and needs to at least jog a bit.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 10:09:00 AM »

if this ends up being a feature as compelling as achievements then I will buy a PS3... no question.

it might sound shallow but achievements and the associated aspects are the reason I play games as much as I do.

my xbox 1, ps2, and gamecube got almost no play time... I bought the 360 for some of the launch titles but achievements, % complete, gamerscore, and the community aspect of all of that through sites like xboxamerica, mygamercard, achieve360points, etc.  are why I keep playing.

my Wii gets 0 play time, some of the games interest me a little but the lack of achievements and a competitive cross-game community I have no motivation to play those games the PS3 has some games that look mildly interesting but without a community surrounding only stat tracking analogous to achievements it again just seems like less of an experience.

I've said it before, if they do add that feature I will buy a PS3 but it has to be done right, stats that don't connect to a larger online community are worthless to me...

I'm also not about to buy a console based on the premise that such a feature will arrive at some point, they'll get my money when the feature becomes available and I can see that it's something that I want to be a part of.

NineT9mustang

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 12:28:00 AM »

Personally, I could really care less about achievements, its not my thing at all...The only game I will get very strict about in beating 'every aspect' is Grand Theft Auto...I'll make sure I have done everything in that game biggrin.gif

Although achievements are not for me, I'm shocked how many people enjoy stuff like this and props to Sony for getting something like this done, theres a huge chunk of people who are exactly like twistedsymphony... Kudos to Sony

Even if alls they do is 'one up their revals'....Thats only a good thing? Especially if its better! Idea's come from ideas we all know that... Sony ups the 360 with achievements, then the 360 will up Sony, then Sony the same, back and forth and its only a good thing to us.

Don't get why people have to be so negative about a feature that is only beneficial... its not hurting the console its only helping

Aerok

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »

Although achievements are a great idea. For people like me that sucks at game, its only frustrating because we cant really reach them lol. Good move tho Sony hehe

Bubbalynch

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 04:20:00 PM »

Oh dear, I do love me some Achievements. Bless the developer or w/e that came up with that for the 360.

Could care less that Sony is trying to implement their own version of them with their console tho...

gordita37

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »

isn't it a little too late to put this in the ps3? I mean of course than can start putting in games in the future, just seems weird that past games wouldn't have any achievements, I don't know, just seems weird.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 03:04:00 PM »

I don't think it is too late to do anything with the PS3. It is not yet a year old in Europe so is only in its infancy. I doubt it will be replaced any time soon. Sony are just developing its potential at the moment.

This post has been edited by Chancer: Jan 22 2008, 11:04 PM

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 05:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Jan 22 2008, 11:04 PM) View Post

I don't think it is too late to do anything with the PS3. It is not yet a year old in Europe so is only in its infancy. I doubt it will be replaced any time soon. Sony are just developing its potential at the moment.

Seems that both Sony & MS launched early; MS's preemptiveness resulted in hardware failures, and Sony's resulted in not implementing all features when it was ready (just like their BD players). Luckily for Sony, it's not an issue that interferes with anything, and can also be updated in their next fw release.

Kr0n1k

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »

Like I've always said, there's a reason the 360 has it's name. The first Xbox was a real world prototype, the 360 is the final product.

XBMC is the reason the Live video marketplace exsists. XNA and Live Arcade exsist because of programmers exploiting the hardware and designing software and games for the last platform. All features available now exsist from the "test" Xbox.

Point is, that's alot of R&D and Sony would benefit greatly from implementing some of the now "basic" features that are currently on Live, and being able to access all of it easily, in game, is the foundation for any feature they plan on offering.

Achievements would be useless if they don't have the gamer score or some system like a leveling or ranking system. Its all bragging rights, and will become a part of your gaming, even if its just friendly competition between you and your friends.