xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: PlayStation Network will make Sony a software powerhouse, says Stringe  (Read 198 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User

PlayStation Network will make Sony a software powerhouse, says Stringer
Posted by XanTium | 12-12-2007 0:11 EST

From gamesindustry.biz:

The expansion of the PlayStation Network, which will enable users to download games, movies and music for multiple devices, will propel Sony into a software powerhouse, said CEO Sir Howard Stringer.

Sir Howard told The Financial Times that Sony would focus on innovation and shift to digitisation from hardware as pillars of growth as it nears the end of its three-year restructuring plan.

"Over the next two years we will find ourselves in competition with Apple and Microsoft," he said. "If we can connect the dots we have a great advantage over consumer electronics rivals and some advantage over Apple and Microsoft."

Full Story: gamesindustry.biz

mlmadmax

• Archived User
PlayStation Network will make Sony a software powerhouse, says Stringe
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 10:54:00 AM »

Now that is some of the dumbest shit i have ever heard. Compete with microsoft and apple what a bunch of nonsense. First of all apple isn't even in competition with microsoft and sony is no where near appple and never will be. Why do sony representatives keep making rediculious claims that will be almost impossible to achieve.

Lame

blackchild1101

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 10:13:00 PM »

WTF are you two smoking?

HS comments could not be any more truer. If Sony can bring together their music, video, and properties into 1 nice simple interface then consider XBL market place dead & stick a fork in Itunes...

hawkolugy

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(blackchild1101 @ Dec 13 2007, 06:49 AM) View Post

WTF are you two smoking?
HS comments could not be any more truer. If Sony can bring together their music, video, and properties into 1 nice simple interface then consider XBL market place dead & stick a fork in Itunes...

I am just asking because I wasn't completely sure that's sarcasm right? I sure hope so because Sony beating itunes out would be a miracle.

d-range

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(blackchild1101 @ Dec 13 2007, 07:49 AM) View Post

WTF are you two smoking?

Did you actually ever *use* PSN? You have to be on some serious drugs to think that thing is 'a nice simple interface'. It works (barely) but it's a PITA to use on the PS3, and apart from the games and demo's there's virtually no interesting content. PSN on the PS3 will never ever compete with Apple/iTunes on Mac/PC, and comparing Sony and MS you can only conclude that Sony is trailing Microsoft. I'm a professional software engineer, and even I get seriously confused all the time using PSN (or the XMB for that matter), it's all too nerdy and high-tech for the masses, compared to XBL. Sony needs a lot more than just talk to beat that. Maybe PS home, but we'll just have to wait and see how that turns out.