xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: GDC 07: Less than half of PS3 owners are 'connected'  (Read 150 times)

epsilon72

• Archived User
GDC 07: Less than half of PS3 owners are 'connected'
« on: March 09, 2007, 06:37:00 PM »

That's 'cause we're all playing PS2 games still....

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 06:48:00 PM »

That right there is a HORRIBLE ratio.

dvsone

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »

there are about 500,000 PSN accounts open

Not every has a PS3 that has an account, I have a PSN account. I'm sure lots of people registered an account without owning a PS3.

mike96sc2

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(Thraxen @ Mar 9 2007, 11:16 PM) View Post

But what's MS' ratio?  I'm sure it's about the same.  There's just a lot of people that don't bother putting these things online.

Actually it is, perhaps you'll look before you leap next time.

6 Million Xbox-Live gamers, 10 Million consoles shipped. Looks better to me, not to mention you'd assume the PS3 would have a larger ratio considering the initial installed base would be hardcore gamers willing to shell out the money for a PS3 wanting to get every drop out of their console's potential. These would be the games with HDMI, WiFi, etc.

I would be willing to bet when the Xbox 360 shipped 1-1.5 million consoles their online attach ratio was much higher than the sub 50% range.

Thraxen

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 10:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(mike96sc2 @ Mar 9 2007, 11:38 PM) View Post

Actually it is, perhaps you'll look before you leap next time.

6 Million Xbox-Live gamers, 10 Million consoles shipped. Looks better to me, not to mention you'd assume the PS3 would have a larger ratio considering the initial installed base would be hardcore gamers willing to shell out the money for a PS3 wanting to get every drop out of their console's potential. These would be the games with HDMI, WiFi, etc.

I would be willing to bet when the Xbox 360 shipped 1-1.5 million consoles their online attach ratio was much higher than the sub 50% range.

You're forgetting the original XBox which MS also likely counts in their Live numbers.  Also, as the article states, you can use the web browser and get firmware updates without signing up for PSN, so those numbers aren't included in the Sony number.  These users would be similar to Live Silver users which MS is counting while Sony is not.  It wouldn't surprise me if MS was ahead, Live is a great  service, but I don't think the ratios would prove to be all that different if all the numbers were added up properly.   Though if MS is only counting 360 based accounts then they are almost certainly ahead, it would just come down to how many unregistered PS3s are online.  But this is all pure speculation... though I was well aware of those numbers and where I was leaping.

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 04:48:00 AM »

Ms doesn't count inactive accounts so the majority of the xbox1 accounts aren't considered. No matter how u spin it, the live numbers are better.

XHN_SCRAPY

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 11:12:00 PM »

thats odd you would think they would push harder to get more people online with their product like XBL...

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(Aerok @ Mar 11 2007, 10:16 PM) View Post

Umh... I'm positive that a great number of people using Xbox1 still use Live... like me?

Yes, but theres a higher number of people that have a xbox360 and use live.

The Xbox 360 has a higher percentage of people using live than the PS3 does, it proves that 360 live is worth it because people are paying annually for it. If it were free with all the offers they give out, then the percentage would be even higher.