xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: GDC 07: The PS3's Home Video  (Read 358 times)

RBJTech

• Archived User
GDC 07: The PS3's Home Video
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 01:20:00 AM »

As an idea it's good - but we have yet to see any significant detail on how it INTEGRATES with the rest of the PS3.

Can you pop into your 'home' from within a game (without leaving the game)?
Can you get an invite to a game from within a game ?
Can you get a message / voicemail from within a game ?
How do you speak to somebody if sound is optional on a game/home ?

How on earth do you see if all your friends are online - do they appear on the screen ?  (what if you have got 100's of friends ?) - again how does this happen when you are in a game (does something pop up?)

Do you have to go hunting for a friend to invite them into a game ?

To me this sounds like a dashboard REPLACEMENT..

For the moment I am VERY sceptical that Sony will pull this off - with respect, they cannot even get the online basics working at the moment.

PS - the 'home' bit will be a fad - how many times do you go looking at peoples 'mySpace' areas ..   sleep.gif  

Achievements, 'IF' I wanted to see how many somebody had, then I'd pop into Xbox.com and get a detailed list on the screen ...  Can you imagine virtually walking around a trophy room with somebody who has 10,000+ achievements ...  blink.gif   I know they don't have many games to play with at the moment (scowl) but c'mon...

Interesting times ahead me thinks for Live and 'Home' but the one thing the PS3 needs now more than this - Games .. smile.gif

icantstandtoburntolong

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 01:40:00 AM »

Yet another feature for the PS3 that is going to be so awesome. Just like how the PS3 will have three ethernet ports. And how it will have two HDMI out ports. And how the graphics will be so much better than the 360. And how its multimedia functionality will make it the center of your living room. And how it will have full backwards compatability with PS1 and PS2 games. Seriously, guys this is a great idea, but it is still just a promise from Sony. Believe it when it comes to be and not a second before. Sony is good at spouting great ideas a features, but severely lacking when it comes to putting their money where there mouth is. Maybe they should just concentrate on getting their online gameplay functionality on par with XBL then they can start to innovate. It just seems like they are putting the cart before the horse with this one.

Uradox

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2007, 04:24:00 AM »

I must admit it does look very cool, but I wonder if I really need that level of social interaction on my console....
In my mmorpg experience the 'popular' ones have had a load of idiots talking rude rubbish in large public areas, no amount of ignore seems to stop it.
Do I really need to walk into someones virtual home and see their tropheys? This seems to be a gimmick that would very quickly die down

dvsone

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2007, 03:48:00 AM »

Sony is lacking in APIs that developers can tap into to integrate online features into their games. Sony is letting the developers do their own thing and there is no standardization across the games and across the platform. MS APIs make it easier for developers to pump out those standardized live features that integrate into the platform and community. PSN seems to be a huge pain in the ass for developers at the moment, and it's important that Sony fixes this.

XHN_SCRAPY

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »

boguuuusss  BULL SPIT they are just getting trigger happy because they can't stand being beat and can't deal with themselves. this is just another gigg they are setting up so they can try having more people come back to them and i doubt that itll be able to beat xbl. ps3 is just annoying and over priced, over rated in many ways but then there are few areas were i believe its better than the xbox 360. lol they are i think just pulling everyones leg just like those people Dum dudes at what was it xbox360devil that was to be up on the date 6-6-6 lol so its weird to me that a company that has just given letdowns after letdowns pull a good thing out of their pocket. lol

colt45joe

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(mlmadmax @ Mar 8 2007, 02:20 AM) *

That looks pretty cool, but on a negative note the servers will not be cheap to maintain or get running. We are talking major bandwidth for all those virtual people and they are going to need to make money from somewhere to keep it all running.

yeh seriously.. instead of doing this home thing..why not just do a simple menu interface thing that is just as good as xbox live?

Aerok

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2007, 08:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(colt45joe @ Mar 9 2007, 12:10 AM) View Post

yeh seriously.. instead of doing this home thing..why not just do a simple menu interface thing that is just as good as xbox live?

Because of Xbox fanboys will whine about how Sony copies Microsoft... Doesn't hurt to try something new.

Thraxen

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2007, 11:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(RBJTech @ Mar 8 2007, 02:27 AM) View Post

Achievements, 'IF' I wanted to see how many somebody had, then I'd pop into Xbox.com and get a detailed list on the screen ...  Can you imagine virtually walking around a trophy room with somebody who has 10,000+ achievements ...  blink.gif   I know they don't have many games to play with at the moment (scowl) but c'mon...

I've seen a LOT of people make this complaint, but I feel I must point out that having a list of achievements and having a room full of trophies are not mutually exclusive concepts.   They could easily make it where you can pull up a list of trophies/awards that also have 3D representations in your home gallery.  I don't know if they have plans for such a list, but I thought that was worth pointing out.

RBJTech

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2007, 04:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(Thraxen @ Mar 9 2007, 06:20 AM) View Post

I've seen a LOT of people make this complaint, but I feel I must point out that having a list of achievements and having a room full of trophies are not mutually exclusive concepts.   They could easily make it where you can pull up a list of trophies/awards that also have 3D representations in your home gallery.  I don't know if they have plans for such a list, but I thought that was worth pointing out.

Valid point.  I guess it would actually be nice to see the 'real' achievements highlighted in such a way on Live.  Perhaps we could normally see 'Bronze/Silver Achievements Unlocked' .. blah blah, with 'Gold Achievement Unlocked' being shown shown as something special with a trophy or gold star added to your pic perhaps ..

Afterall, 5000 achievements played over 100 games is pretty poor, 5000 played over 5 games is pretty impressive ...

As i said, interesting times ahead - I think home is good compitation for Xbox Live - it will make MS improve it...

Cheers,

Richard.

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »

I honestly don't think that HOME will be very interactive at all.

i'll explain

One of the goals that HOME is suppose to accomplish is that it is a place for friends, not just friends that you know down the street, but people you play with across the world. This is home's major fault.

I myself play xbox live alot and i have several very good friends on it that i have never met before. We didn't get to be good friends by simply walking into each others trophy rooms and saying hello, we are good friends now because we played with each other.

If i call someone a good friend (or a friend at all usually) then i have somewhere in time hung out with them and spent time interacting with them, not simply just talking to them. Pwning noobs, surviving co-op, finding glitches- things that friends do, NOT JUST showing them my trophies and what i (might) look like.

elmo_sni

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2007, 07:27:00 PM »

...very original idea, lets see if they can pull it off. i have to admit, being a proud 360 owner, that this looks nice. may help sonys almost inert launch...

CollinstheClown

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2007, 10:41:00 AM »

Reminds me of Coke Studios, from years ago... and Habbo Hotel. With better graphics and more features. This isn't all that great, but if I ever do get a PS3 I'll use it. Free is free.

-CollinstheClown

This post has been edited by CollinstheClown: Mar 11 2007, 05:42 PM

belke

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »

sony is wasting their time on this imo
Pages: 1 [2]