xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: PS3 background downloading already broken?  (Read 242 times)

elmo_sni

• Archived User
PS3 background downloading already broken?
« on: February 28, 2007, 01:00:00 PM »

this is what going to nvidia at the last minute will do to you...

KaRiL

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »

kind of defeats the purpose if you can't play games  blink.gif
oh well its not out yet, maybe they'll fix it...

lando786

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 02:30:00 PM »

if its only towards not gaming i can live with it, i mean lets say i wanna play a few rounds of resistance while i download... the game will totally lag for sure, at least it pauses the DL and doesn't have to restart it completely. and if i can watch a movie while i download ill be really pleased biggrin.gif lets wait and see what they'll do

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 02:36:00 PM »

YAAAAAYY broken before release. jester.gif

Sony will probably fix it before it is realeased,at least i would hope so. I also wish they would make it so i didn't have to plug the controller in on updates, picky i know but it is still annyoing.

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 03:06:00 AM »

kinda saw this coming. Dont know if they will be able to fix it before release cause I think its a hardware issue. The CPU already has alot to worry about.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 05:56:00 AM »

If you launch a game, the system will pause your download because "the PS3 needs extra system resources (primarily memory) to do background downloading."

What happened to this being 'the most powerful games console available', when it can't even manage background downloading???

Every time I look at the PS3 news pages, there's something else the PS3 'can't' do.

Apart from creating a big hole in your wallet, what 'can' it do that the 360 or Wii can't?

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 01:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(charlesnelson9 @ Mar 1 2007, 08:50 PM) View Post

Not all 360 games let you download while playing, like crackdown for example paused my downloads the other day when I started it up. The PS3 is just like the 360 except the system costs an extra $200 upfront instead of charging from $50-$100 a year for online service.  Oh yeah, and it plays bluray, browses the web, and runs linux if you're into that.

The limitation for the 360 is that some games want a full connection to Live from the get-go. This is the only reason.

So what you're saying, as a games console it's not doing anything better?

FTR, the PS3 in the UK will be £430, with the cheapest 360 now available for £150. That's hardly $200 difference.

Martin

dvsone

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 12:21:00 AM »

I wonder if this was the main reason GTHD was axed and released as a demo. That game was built on in game downloads/micro-transactions. Imagine if you have to quit the game to download a new car or new track. It was bad enough you were suppose to buy your game in pieces as it was.

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 05:25:00 AM »

GTHD was axed cause it made no f****** sense no matter how u look at it.

The limitation for the 360 is that some games want a full connection to Live from the get-go. This is the only reason.

But is that really a limitation of the 360? The point of it is to save bandwidth (something the 360 has no control over). The ps3 pauses to save threads in the hardware which is kinda primitive these days. Thats something I expect the psp to have a problem with not the ps3.

it uses background downloading while in the dash but pauses it when u boot a game which kinda defeats the purpose IMO.

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Mar 2 2007, 02:47 AM) View Post

This happens with PGR3 as well, as soon as you enter the main menu. It's annoying, but then again, the menu shows online statistics and friends in-game achievements; so its not for nothing.

So what you're saying, as a games console it's not doing anything better?

From what i'm saying, the 360 is better in every category as a game console.

FTR, the PS3 in the UK will be £430, with the cheapest 360 now available for £150. That's hardly $200 difference.

Yeah hardly $200, that's simple pocket change.