xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sony's Answer To Xbox Live Revealed  (Read 568 times)

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Sony's Answer To Xbox Live Revealed
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 12:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(Mr Invader @ Sep 13 2006, 09:01 PM) View Post

They need to make up their minds about whats happening on the PS3

I think they have...

from what I gather

Playstation Network = Xbox Live Silver

So the PSN supports profiles, "entitlements", messaging, voice chat, etc. "feature for feature" Xbox Live (silver)

Sony doesn't offer any "Gold" level service... that is left up to the developers themselves who can then choose to use Gamespy, XFire, etc. etc. etc. It also means they can charge whatever they want on a game by game basis.

IMO this means that most PS3 games WONT support online multi player (because publishers wont want to front the cash to run the servers) the games that do support online multi player will either have a monthly fee or lackluster support (just like the PS2).

Of course this is smart MARKETING move on Sony's part because "Playstation Network is free" but they conveniently leave out the part about not offering online multi player themselves and many that play the games where the publisher is footing the server bill will assume that they're really playing on the Playstation Network.

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 04:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Sep 14 2006, 07:14 PM) View Post

I think they have...

from what I gather

Playstation Network = Xbox Live Silver

So the PSN supports profiles, "entitlements", messaging, voice chat, etc. "feature for feature" Xbox Live (silver)

Sony doesn't offer any "Gold" level service... that is left up to the developers themselves who can then choose to use Gamespy, XFire, etc. etc. etc. It also means they can charge whatever they want on a game by game basis.

IMO this means that most PS3 games WONT support online multi player (because publishers wont want to front the cash to run the servers) the games that do support online multi player will either have a monthly fee or lackluster support (just like the PS2).

Of course this is smart MARKETING move on Sony's part because "Playstation Network is free" but they conveniently leave out the part about not offering online multi player themselves and many that play the games where the publisher is footing the server bill will assume that they're really playing on the Playstation Network.

No twisted, we've been through this before. Remember when Major Nelson brought up that same point during e3 after observing sony's slides during their presentation. Then rumors were flaring about "Playstation Network = Xbox Live Silver" so sony had to say something, and I dont remember who (probably ken) clarified that gaming will be free. So they can further confuse us tongue.gif

I think there still isnt any clarification on what sony is doing but one thing is for sure, when we do find out its gonna be VERY controversial tongue.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2006, 06:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(calderra @ Sep 15 2006, 08:09 AM) View Post

The problem with PSN=Silver is... this "new" information on a piecewise solution.

-How do you have Achievements (er, Entitlements) when nobody's using the same dialler to get online? (XFire, Gamespy, and others)
-How do you chat in realtime when everyone is using completely different methods of connection?
-How do you have Game Invites across these vastly different networks?

The short answer is that you don't. The longer answer is that you might build a database that everyone has to access to pull information from (like most instant messengers), but even then, you're up to the mercy of your individual connection program for how accesible the features are and how usable it all is (ICQ vs AIM vs Messenger vs IRC vs...)....

I don't think either of your answers are correct... nothing says you can't connect to more then one service at the same time, as long as they're not trying to do the same thing... Sony's PSN will probably run on Sony's own server for things like entitlements, chat, etc. and then the console would just connect to a different set of servers for gameplay.

It would work exactly like FFXI does on the 360... when you connect to the PlayOnline servers (since it doesn't use Xbox Live) you remain connected to Xbox Live as well for things like voice chat, messaging, achievements, etc. etc. etc. Similarly all EA games connect to EA servers as opposed to Xbox Live... to the gamer they think they're playing on Xbox Live, despite the fact that they're not... Sony could do the same thing and no one would be the wiser.

I'm not saying Sony wont have servers... if they so much as offer one bullet item on their list they will have to, but nothing says they can't just let publishers provide their own servers to host the actual games and use the Sony servers to host the resulting stats and everything else.
Pages: 1 [2]