xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: More Playstation 3 Network Platform Details Revealed  (Read 564 times)

calderra

• Archived User
More Playstation 3 Network Platform Details Revealed
« on: March 19, 2006, 10:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(yourM0M @ Mar 17 2006, 08:20 PM) View Post

http://www.ps3scene....-1142528999.php

...also the MMOG issue, the publishers are just wanting to make money thats why they have a problem with m$'s "business model" i love how they word that......i think things will get out of hand over time if the console makers let the publishers take over the online industry like PC gaming.....it wont be one giant happy place like live imo......

Exactly. MMO publishers will be able to milk more money from the system this time- especially since the profits will be going DIRECTLY to them, and they can charge whatever they want. Live comes out to around $4 (and change) per month. Does anyone think the MMOs are going to charge less than $5/mo for service? Paying the $50/year for Live sounds like a bundle- but it's really an impressive investment.

If the online service is free, and most downloads will still be free (we hope), what incentive will PS3 developers have to fix bugs and develop free content? They won't be paid. Heck, they'd basically be charging themselves to make it happen, unless Sony gives them a direct kickback of some sort. I don't see much support at all coming from that. Too many console gamers already ***** when patches come out ("Well why wasnt' it fixed before it shipped?"). I know I wouldn't add any but the most necessary support (fixing game save deletes and the like). And heck, they'd virutally be taking money away from Sony too. A best-selling game with free online would cost money on the server side, reducing that title's total profit for the company.

Doesn't sound like a good situation at all for developers. "You sold a million copies, but your online cost us, so find a way to make things cheaper next time. We can't afford a profit margin like that again!"

And yes, Live is one big happy family because there's one shared community of gameplay. You pay your membership, and you're in! The PS3 network is trying to give developers room to drive a wedge into the experience, and break it back up into a per-game feature, just like PS2 already had. Not a good idea, IMHO.

Okkkay

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 06:33:00 PM »

Live is one big happy family because there's one shared community of gameplay. hahah yeah right thats a joke xbl is far form happy every game ive played on xbl has people yelling cursing and making fun of me on it. also 60 gigs is alot better than 20 gigs thats for sure also you paid $100 dollars for that 20 gigs dont even talk about mmo producers being money hungry when m$ charges such an outragoues amount for 20 gigs ps2 had a 40 gig hardrive with a $50 dollar game on it for the same price and that was years ago!

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 07:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(Okkkay @ Mar 19 2006, 08:40 PM) View Post

Live is one big happy family because there's one shared community of gameplay. hahah yeah right thats a joke xbl is far form happy every game ive played on xbl has people yelling cursing and making fun of me on it. also 60 gigs is alot better than 20 gigs thats for sure also you paid $100 dollars for that 20 gigs dont even talk about mmo producers being money hungry when m$ charges such an outragoues amount for 20 gigs ps2 had a 40 gig hardrive with a $50 dollar game on it for the same price and that was years ago!

Was said 40 gig HDD SATA and 2.5"?

kidkinetix

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 03:10:00 PM »

Gamespy can work just fine.  All you need is a browser that can help you find games, and see what friends are playing.  I would rather see them partner with Xfire but that's fine.

Xbox live isn't perfect, the best servers you can find playing games like battlefield 2 and counter-strike source are maintained by clans, it would be nice for game publishers to allow something like this, and use gamespy esk service to browse the advertised servers.

To be fair though MS just announced with their latest XNA info that publishers will be able to provide their own servers for games, opening the door to crack addicts who enjoy MMO games.

The most important thing here is with 3 large companies trying 3 similar yet slightly different strategies... we'll come up a great online model down the road because everyone will copy one another (hell.. look at game-pads).

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 04:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(Okkkay @ Mar 19 2006, 08:40 PM) View Post

you forget that the ps2 hardrive was specifically formatted for Final Fantasy XI(easier to make because it is just for one game) and that the Hardrve was $150(not including the price of the game), the same price for the pstwos now