xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Zune Firmware 2.2  (Read 313 times)

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
Zune Firmware 2.2
« on: November 13, 2007, 12:02:00 PM »

Yay for wireless sync!
The Zune software has been totally redone aswell...... most of the features are still useless for those of us in non-USA countries.

Vfreitas

• Archived User
Zune Firmware 2.2
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 12:07:00 PM »

I haven't had a chance to check upgrade my Zune yet, but the software is pretty neat. The "Now Playing" display is also pretty cool, I'll definitely be keeping that up on my PC for awhile.

crackfeen

• Archived User
Zune Firmware 2.2
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 03:25:00 PM »

i know you're a modder... and i'm sure you did the external harddrive mod.
does it still work? can you still use it like one?

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
Zune Firmware 2.2
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 06:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(crackfeen @ Nov 13 2007, 03:01 PM) View Post

i know you're a modder... and i'm sure you did the external harddrive mod.
does it still work? can you still use it like one?

Well it didn't work, as the new Zune pc software seems to have changed the registry entries.  I changed them back but it still didnt show in "My Computer"
After further browsing through the registry it seems to be in there under a different id now.  Just find that one and change it as well and its all back to working like it should.

1. Make sure your Zune is not plugged in and your Zune software isn’t running

2. open up regedit by going to the start menu and selecting “run”. Type regedt32 and hit “OK”

3. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\

4. Search for “PortableDeviceNameSpace”. This should be contained in the Vid_####&Pid_####\########_-_########_-_########_-_########\Device Parameters within the above …\USB\ The ##’s listed here will be numbers and letters specific to your Zune

5. Change the following values:

EnableLegacySupport to 1
PortableDeviceNameSpaceExcludeFromShell to 0
ShowInShell to 1

6. If it still doesnt work, do step #4 again to find the other instance and change the registry entries the same as step #5

7. Open up "My Computer" and you should see it listed as a portable device, no driveletter assigned.  You can browse the directories but you cannot change or add any files unless the zune software is open and actively syncing as the harware is magically locked otherwise.  When you connect wirelessly, the Zune does not show up in "My Computer"

I am not entirely sure why they dont just let it show up as a mass storage device, even just allow one folder to be used.....oh well.... now to see if we can figure out how to wirelessly add files....

I didnt notice if it did this before or not, but if you right click the Zune in "My Computer" and select properties, it will show you the charge level of the battery.
 IPB Image

crackfeen

• Archived User
Zune Firmware 2.2
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »

i found it.. but it wasn't controlset001. there was a copy of the zune driver in every control set....  and the one that made it appear was controlset002.. but i still couldn't get rid of the second icon even after changing the useprivateinterface to 0 (or whatever it was)
so now i can see it, and it works, but i can't get rid of the second icon.
on the flip side, i like the new software, i think it's faster and is definitely eye candyish

think we'll see any hacks this time around?

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
Zune Firmware 2.2
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »

I dont know if they are intentionally obscuring the location of the registry changes, or its just incidental.
Hopefully with the release of the new zunes, it will gain a bit more interest in the hacking community and we may see some real hacks.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Zune Firmware 2.2
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 10:03:00 AM »

hmm I got my Zune AFTER the update came out and I upgraded the firmware before I even loaded up my first MP3...

As far as I'm concerned Wireless sync was always there (it's pretty sweet IMO)

What's different about the firmware now from the early stuff? I'm just getting into the Zune but so far I'm really loving it and IMO it's infinitely better than what I've seen offered on the iPod and Zen players.

Black Diamond

• Archived User
Zune Firmware 2.2
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 10:35:00 PM »

Hey,

I like that we can sync wirelessly now, I hate the look and the way the new Zune software works.  Also have some peoblems with the devie not starting where I left off when I power it off.

Anyone know if they took the limitations off the squirt feature?

Annoying at most, but guess I will get used to it.  We have two Zunes at our house and really like them.