xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Zune Drops to 199usd  (Read 327 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Zune Drops to 199usd
« on: September 04, 2007, 11:06:00 PM »

Zune Drops to 199usd
Posted by XanTium | September 5 00:30 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From zuneinsider.com (FYI: MS owned blog):

Some of you may have already heard, but tomorrow we're dropping the suggested retail price for Zune to $199.  It's part of the normal product lifecycle, something we've had on the books for months.  We just got some research back and customer satisfaction with the 30GB device is really high (around 94%) and we expect even more consumers will now want to discover the Zune experience at the new lower price.

Buy Zune [30GB]: Black(IMG:http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=finalfantasyx-20&l=ur2&o=1) | White(IMG:http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=finalfantasyx-20&l=ur2&o=1) | Brown(IMG:http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=finalfantasyx-20&l=ur2&o=1)

sicknasty413

• Archived User
Zune Drops to 199usd
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 11:05:00 PM »

Cool beans. Does this go for the Halo 3 LE Zunes as well?

I have a black one. It can be a little big in comparison to other music players, but I really don't mind. The software could use some help though.

Hopefully it gets fulled hax0rd soon. That would be nice.

XanTium

• Archived User
Zune Drops to 199usd
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 11:12:00 PM »

they probably lower price to clear stock. No idea if the Halo3 zune (only at gamestop afaik) will follow the price drop.
Microsoft will probably announce the 'Zune2' and 'Flash Zune' soon.

Zune is still a nice mp3 device tho, just too bad I can never find any other zune user in my wifi-range lol.

Tony42077

• Archived User
Zune Drops to 199usd
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 11:13:00 PM »

I'm waiting for the 8GB Flash Zune that is set to come out later this year. I think the current Zune is too thick. 2nd generation hardware and software are always better than an initial stab at a product.

randywatson

• Archived User
Zune Drops to 199usd
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 12:44:00 AM »

And I'm sure this announcement has NOTHING to do with the impending announcement of the touchscreen iPod tomorrow (supposedly).

http://thinksecret.com/news/0709preipod.html

vanxman

• Archived User
Zune Drops to 199usd
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 12:53:00 AM »

XBOX scene, people.... X BOX... Not Zune or MS scene!

Move along. Nothing to see...

Alex548

• Recovered User
Zune Drops to 199usd
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 01:46:00 AM »

It's actually Scenyx Entertainment. . . not just xbox-scene anymore. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by Alex548: Sep 5 2007, 08:47 AM

bucko

• Recovered User
Zune Drops to 199usd
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 06:15:00 AM »

Pff not even in Europe yet whats the point of them even trying, anyway my Black Video Ipod suits my needs perfectly.

ThaCrip

• Archived User
Zune Drops to 199usd
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 08:52:00 AM »

199 = still to much.

cause the way i see it is i already got a lower end flash based player and even stuff like ipod nano etc is facier it just aint good enough for me to justify buying another mp3 player sad.gif

about $100 tops is about the most i would even consider right now... although i would like to upgrade from my sorta crappy RCA Lyra 128MB player (i got a 512MB SD card in it though, basically 8hours @128kbps ... so 10hours total counting the built in 128MB to)

i just wish any of those decent (functionality similar to ipod nano basically) 4GB flash based players would get to around the 50 dollar area i would probably get one.

and another thing that sucks about most of those fancier mp3 players is they dont have standard AA batts like i use (i use NI-MH AA single batt in my current one, basically unlimited power) so basically when the battery dies your pretty much screwed sad.gif ... and even if u can replace the players battery it will probably cost damn near the price of the entire device lol.

p.s. i know im sorta cheap but i just cant see paying 199+ for a portable mp3 player when u never know how long it will last.... plus it aint like i really "need" 30GB either. 4GB would probably be "good enough" for me although with 10GB it would give me some breathing room. but i can get by with the 4GB with little to no issues.

namgorf

• Archived User
Zune Drops to 199usd
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »

I picked up 2 zunes a few weeks ago when woot had them for $150. I'm very happy with mine, and my wife enjoys her's as well. I must admit that the zune software was a little frustrating at first though.

Ken_D

• Archived User
Zune Drops to 199usd
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 12:58:00 PM »

iPod Touch

IMHO, it's Game Over for the Zune.

Mr Ed

• Archived User
Zune Drops to 199usd
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 02:36:00 PM »

I can't imagine having a music player with less than 60Gb.  Mine has 60GB and I'm constantly having to remove stuff.  And that's only music.  

Better be over 100GB if you want video.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/muhaha.gif)

This post has been edited by Mr Ed: Sep 5 2007, 09:37 PM

deadparrot

• Archived User
Zune Drops to 199usd
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 02:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(Mr Ed @ Sep 5 2007, 09:36 PM) View Post

I can't imagine having a music player with less than 60Gb.  Mine has 60GB and I'm constantly having to remove stuff.  And that's only music.  

Better be over 100GB if you want video.  muhaha.gif

Precisely my sentiment.  What is the point in a flash-based widescreen multimedia device if it's limited to 16GB?

My 3rd Gen iPod holds 15GB, and I've had that for nearly 3 years now, you'd think that Apple would be smart enough to equip these iPod with HDDs and leave the flash storage to the mini which is meant to be compact.

Those of us who want a portable media centre probably don't mind having something a bit thicker if it means a reasonable amount of storage.

• Archived User
Zune Drops to 199usd
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 07:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(Mr Ed @ Sep 5 2007, 03:36 PM) View Post

the average consumer (ie those that these devices are directly marketed to) barely fill their devices with much music at all - several GB at most...especially since they buy all of their music...

you are right on the video aspect though, much larger storage would be needed if one were to keep those larger files on the device at all times...

anyways...any price drop is a welcome announcement

leburn

• Archived User
Zune Drops to 199usd
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 04:22:00 AM »

It's probably a result of Microsoft moving Tier 1 of Zune Support to India. I do not know if it is public yet, but I know for a fact that they are moving their only Zune Call Centre (of around 200 employees) to India. Tier 2 will remain here in Canada (hint: Capitol of Canada).

How do I know this? I worked for this Call Centre (contracted by Microsoft) from November to March of 08. I still have friends who continue to work there and both were given the option to move to Tier 2 or look elsewhere for work.

Also the Zune Phone (at the time it was just a Microsoft branded phone) has been in the works well before the iPhone. So the move to India (cheaper costs) and new products (from what I hear the Zune Phone and a smaller flash based Zune player) have made this price reduction possible.