xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Five things Microsoft needs to do to fix the Zune  (Read 361 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Five things Microsoft needs to do to fix the Zune
« on: March 20, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | March 20 20:44 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From engadget.com:

We're not trying to hate, but we think it's about time Microsoft acknowledged that the ball's been dropped -- and then pick it back up. Stop promising bug fixes and vaporous new features, and stop talking about future Zune products when the current product is ailing. Here are five simple things Microsoft should do to fix the Zune right now, and even make it into a somewhat aggressive contender in one of the most cutthroat gadget categories. In order:

1.  Fix the DRM, syncing, and system bugs, and get firmware v1.3 out the door!
   2. Add useful WiFi features: wireless streaming to friends, Zune Pass (subscription) song transfer to friends' Zunes (á la MusicGremlin), computer-free downloads content downloads.
   3. Add podcast and vidcast support. It doesn't even have to be as comprehensive as the iTMS, just a basic RSS reader / enclosure scraper or something.
   4. Increase codec support. Go out on a limb and add open (read: free) codecs like FLAC, APE, OGG, XviD; if you really want to make your customers happy, belly up to the bar and license DivX.
   5. Drop the price. For most consumers, there is still a huge mental barrier in paying $250 for a Zune when you can pay the same $250 for an iPod. One isn't necessarily better than the other, but people really love the iPod. Make it $230 MSRP, and let that sink down to like $210 for online retailers. People will freak out that this player, that does all these things it does, is barely more than two bills.

Full Story: engadget.com

mlapaglia

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »

and i want a pony..

XHN_SCRAPY

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 07:55:00 PM »

i wanna play halo on it... anyone else???

Millenia1x

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 08:07:00 PM »

NO THEY NEED A GOD DAM CLOCK ON IT

proger

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »

OMGZ NO BARBIE HOUSE ADVENTURE SUPPORT!?

tiavo

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »

They forgot one thing, Zune Marketplace & Xbox Live Marketplace integration.

gehx

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »

I like the idea of adding lossless audio codecs smile.gif

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 02:09:00 AM »

I'm still surprised that 'the community' hasn't hacked the Zune to death with modified firmwares, ripping the DRM support from the WiFi connection for example.

And if anyone would do that, also write a program for the PSP so it can share music (and perhaps other stuff) with the Zune. Now that would kickass.

1. Fix the DRM, syncing, and system bugs, and get firmware v1.3 out the door!
Just remove the DRM.
2. Add useful WiFi features: wireless streaming to friends, Zune Pass (subscription) song transfer to friends' Zunes (á la MusicGremlin), computer-free downloads content downloads.
I don't think these mentioned features are terribly useful. At all.
3. Add podcast and vidcast support. It doesn't even have to be as comprehensive as the iTMS, just a basic RSS reader / enclosure scraper or something.
Oh, come on...
4. Increase codec support. Go out on a limb and add open (read: free) codecs like FLAC, APE, OGG, XviD; if you really want to make your customers happy, belly up to the bar and license DivX.
Codecs cost money (patents, licenses, etc.). The answer will simply be: no.
5. Drop the price. For most consumers, there is still a huge mental barrier in paying $250 for a Zune when you can pay the same $250 for an iPod. One isn't necessarily better than the other, but people really love the iPod. Make it $230 MSRP, and let that sink down to like $210 for online retailers. People will freak out that this player, that does all these things it does, is barely more than two bills.
Just buy a PSP with a 2GB memory stick for the same price. Even unmodded, it allows you to play MP3's, allows you to surf the web, use RSS feeds using WiFi 802.11b and play videos in a decent resolution using the H.264/MPEG-4 AVC codec. This video codec is featured in many open-source products and kicks the ass of WMV (any version). If you mod the PSP, you can even encode videos in it's native, widescreen resolution (480x272).

Shortly said: if you want a bang for your bucks... don't buy a Zune nor an iPod. Did I already mention that you can use the PSP's memory stick drive as an USB Mass Storage Device when you connect the PSP with your PC? You can just drag and drop your MP3's in the correct folder, without installing any (crappy) software.

[edit]
Forgot one last detail. You can also play a lot of (retail/homebrew/emulated) games on the PSP. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

This post has been edited by The Zep Man: Mar 21 2007, 09:11 AM

vanxman

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 02:37:00 AM »

Welcome to www.zune-scene.com

Or was that www.unrelated-microsoft-products-scene.com???

This post has been edited by vanxman: Mar 21 2007, 09:42 AM

Ken_D

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 07:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(vanxman @ Mar 21 2007, 08:08 AM) View Post

Welcome to www.zune-scene.com

Or was that www.unrelated-microsoft-products-scene.com???

Well said Vanxman, I was just about to reply with the same. What next, Vista news?  unsure.gif

REDMODS

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 09:46:00 AM »

How about they fix the random locking, pausing and restarting mine does every so often.

beige

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 10:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(The Zep Man @ Mar 21 2007, 02:40 AM) View Post

Just buy a PSP with a 2GB memory stick for the same price. Even unmodded, it allows you to play MP3's, allows you to surf the web, use RSS feeds using WiFi 802.11b and play videos in a decent resolution using the H.264/MPEG-4 AVC codec. This video codec is featured in many open-source products and kicks the ass of WMV (any version). If you mod the PSP, you can even encode videos in it's native, widescreen resolution (480x272).

Shortly said: if you want a bang for your bucks... don't buy a Zune nor an iPod. Did I already mention that you can use the PSP's memory stick drive as an USB Mass Storage Device when you connect the PSP with your PC? You can just drag and drop your MP3's in the correct folder, without installing any (crappy) software.

[edit]
Forgot one last detail. You can also play a lot of (retail/homebrew/emulated) games on the PSP. wink.gif

You're going to fit all of your music, movies and games on a 2 gb memory stick?.
That being said, the only thing the Zune has going for it, is it's HD

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »

All I can say is, I'm happy with my Black Video Ipod laugh.gif

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(beige @ Mar 21 2007, 05:08 PM) View Post

You're going to fit all of your music, movies and games on a 2 gb memory stick?.
That being said, the only thing the Zune has going for it, is it's HD
True. Then again, carrying multiple memory sticks with you all the time is a small sacrifice.

Fuzzy

• Recovered User
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 02:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(REDMODS @ Mar 21 2007, 11:17 AM) View Post

How about they fix the random locking, pausing and restarting mine does every so often.

Agreed  sad.gif
Pages: [1] 2