xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Microsoft says Zune executive to leave the company  (Read 292 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Microsoft says Zune executive to leave the company
« on: January 31, 2007, 05:58:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | January 31 19:22 EST

From Reuters (via Yahoo!News):

A senior Microsoft Corp. executive who oversaw the launch of its Zune digital music player plans to leave the company, the world's largest software maker said on Wednesday.

Bryan Lee, corporate vice president at Microsoft's entertainment and devices division, also played a key role in shaping the Xbox game console business and the introduction of its Internet Protocol television software.

Lee is a key deputy of Robbie Bach, head of Microsoft's entertainment and device division. J Allard, a rising star within Microsoft and one of the early Xbox leaders, will now take full responsibility for the Zune business.

Lee plans to leave the company in the next several weeks to pursue personal interests, Microsoft said.

Full Story: yahoo.reuters.com

xtreme_360fw

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 05:29:00 PM »

Isn't that what a lot of people in the Bush administration do.  Maybe he knows that DRM will fail and has cashed his chips in already?  Who knows.  At least he was there to be part of it seeing the light of day!  Must be nice to retire from that kind of job!

=Xtreme=

benpretend

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 06:27:00 PM »

I thought only the Japanese executives were supposed to fall on their swords for the company... Microsoft must be trying really hard to appeal to the Asian markets.

davinator456

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »

personal interests= "I have made millions of dollars, I think I am going to invest it,live off my interest, and drink fruity drinks with an umbrella in them while I sit on the beach"

Ken_D

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 01:23:00 AM »

I think this underscores what a horrible failure the Zune has been. The terrible DRM, the crippling of the "squirt" feature (40% of the top 50 singles allegedly couldn't be "squirted", there goes THAT USP), and incompatibilty with Plays4Sure are all a result of Microsoft's willingness to capitulate to the record companies. A company with 95% of the user OS market and billions of dollars of lobbying cash should have been able to force a better deal with the RIAA for it's users.

Neither wonder Bill G doesn't seem that keen on it. I wouldn't be surprised if it dies a quiet death in 2008.

jdsony

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »

I wonder if he is leaving because he screwed up or because his vision of the perfect Zune is not happening how he wants.

dmitri

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 11:58:00 AM »

When I heard that I thought they were talking about the bald guy..

Fuzzy

• Recovered User
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(dmitri @ Feb 1 2007, 01:29 PM) View Post

When I heard that I thought they were talking about the bald guy..

If Ballmer left the company, this might be a bit of a bigger story  laugh.gif