xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Processor Upgrade: Different Approach  (Read 20 times)

gwayland

• Archived User
Xbox Processor Upgrade: Different Approach
« on: October 30, 2007, 09:52:00 PM »

I was just looking into the whole CPU upgrade debate and was wondering something: since I only run Linux on my Xbox and don't give a rip about backwards compatibility, what would be the problem with attaching a BGA to PGA adapter (off of one of those stupid Slot 1 to Socket 370 adapters) to the motherboard in order to allow a CPU upgrade? The actual soldering isn't the problem: BGA is not hard if you have the equipment. Also, this would remove the hardest part, which is trying to make the stupid thing clock back so it doesn't go haywire. My only question was this: would a Coppermine 1 Ghz PIII work in this socket? I would think so since it uses the same core and instruction set, and isn't a complete rewrite like the Tualatin. The only problem would be if the adapter and board weren't laid out the same. I would venture to guess that it would be ok, though.

No, it wouldn't be a big difference, but double the cache and a decent boost to the processing speed would help a bit. Plus, I could say I did it. Isn't that really the point, anyways?

DavidWoth

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 12:21:00 AM »

Im no expert but a coppermine should be replaceble by a coppermine so it should work?

Bandit5317

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 07:53:00 PM »

You should try researching the Dreamboxes if you're interested in upgrading the processor. As far as I know, they're the only ones to do it. They upgraded it to a 1.4 Ghz Celeron processor through some sort of adaptor (I'm not an expert on it). They also found some way to hard wire a switch to bring the clock back down to 733 Mhz for some games (most will still work at 1.4 Ghz).

gwayland

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 03:28:00 PM »

The Dreambox used a 1.4 GHz Taulatin Processor, and that is what required the adapter. Thanks for your input, though.