xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Nintendo confirms US and Japanese Wii launch details  (Read 520 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Nintendo confirms US and Japanese Wii launch details
« on: September 14, 2006, 10:10:00 AM »

Posted by XanTium | September 14 11:34 EST

From gamesindustry.biz:

The Nintendo Wii will launch in the US November 19th, priced just under US$ 250 (197 euros / GBP 133) and will come bundled with a copy of the game Wii Sports.
Japanese consumers will have to wait an extra two weeks for the launch on December 2nd, but the console will retail slightly cheaper, at 25,000 Yen (167 euros / GBP 113), without a copy of Wii Sports.

Japan will see 16 titles at launch and will range in price from 4800 Yen (32 euro / GBP 22) to 6800 Yen (46 euro / GBP 31). 25 titles are purported to be available at launch in the US, priced around US$ 50 (39 euro / GBP 27)

At a press event, Nintendo of Japan president Satoru Iwata also revealed the pricing structure for downloadable games via the WiiConnect24 service.
NES games will sell for 500 Yen (3 euro / GBP 2), SNES titles will cost 800 Yen (5 euro / GBP 4) and N64 games will retail for 1000 Yen (7 euro / GBP 5).

Nintendo is due to host a press event tomorrow in the UK, releasing full details of the Wii launch, including games available from day one and new titles for the European region.

Read More: gamesindustry.biz

troyBORG

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 08:53:00 AM »

So in other words.

NES = $4.25
SNES = $6.80
N64 = $8.50

Seems good since most XBL arcade games are around $5 (400 points) or $10 (800 points)

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 08:57:00 AM »

Just hope they don't leave us European gamers in the dark like Sony has grr.gif

mat989

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 09:01:00 AM »

good prices for these old games...looking forward to get a wii and a ps3

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 09:03:00 AM »

I still can't really explain why I am so attracted to this machine (and even the name Wii has grown on me)...and I will probably buy one of these, especially at that price point...looks like fun

Here is some decent info on the Wii...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii

jizmo

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 09:17:00 AM »

Nintendo will do just fine with this generation. Wii as a concept (controllers, online gaming) is much more exciting than Gamecube ever was.

Still, they've done some pretty incredible design mistakes with this one. 480p will look very crappy on current LCD TV's, especially when seen next to x360 and PS3. The machine isn't that fast, but it should be easily fast enough to push out 720p, when even the original Xbox could do it.

It's a fun machine, but the expected low-res jagfest will keep it off my shopping list for good.

vyse12012

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 09:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(Ken_D @ Sep 14 2006, 04:16 PM) View Post

Got to agree. With MS and Sony playing specification Top Trumps, there's something attractive about a console that proports to be primarily FUN rather than having kick-arse graphics or a HD-DVD-BluRay-VHS drive.

Of every console I've owned, the Nintendos and their games (especially the classic Rare and Mario titles) have lived the longest in my memory.

Now let's hope for a pre-Christmas UK launch ... sleep.gif

I know what you mean. I was played Mario Bros 3 this pass weekend with my gf and my friends. Man that was still fun  happy.gif

pimpthelinc

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 09:22:00 AM »

Bye bye XBL arcade, hello wii

So affordable also, i didnt realize

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 09:28:00 AM »

I really want one!. So cheap and looks like tons of fun. I'll probably end up just playing Golden Eye!. Maybe the best death match game ever created!. I dont care about HD output since I dont own a HD tv and don't intend to any time soon.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 09:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(jizmo @ Sep 14 2006, 04:24 PM) View Post

Nintendo will do just fine with this generation. Wii as a concept (controllers, online gaming) is much more exciting than Gamecube ever was.

Still, they've done some pretty incredible design mistakes with this one. 480p will look very crappy on current LCD TV's, especially when seen next to x360 and PS3. The machine isn't that fast, but it should be easily fast enough to push out 720p, when even the original Xbox could do it.

It's a fun machine, but the expected low-res jagfest will keep it off my shopping list for good.

But that's the cool thing, they will have a lower price point, aiming at the 90% of people with standard def TV's so that's the market there aiming at. Hell I might get one at Christmas, the Wii just looks so fun and my parents will be able to get it for me and not gasp at the price! Hell my parents would prob end up playing it because it looks so fun!

sidewinder33

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 09:36:00 AM »

I was on the fence about getting a Wii before but if I can go and get my favorite old games for so cheap, then I will definately get one. Even if I think the controller is kinda funky. The low price tag doesn't hurt either.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 09:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(jizmo @ Sep 14 2006, 11:24 AM) View Post

Have you played Gamecube? Heck have you even played N64?

Nintendo has ALWAYS required that games for their console include whatever the latest and greatest form of FSAA is to pass certification. The Gamecube is virtually Jaggie free even on my HD projector. I would suspect the Wii would be as good if not better in this department.

Despite the GC's lack of horsepower many of the cross-platform games looked better on the GC then it did on the Xbox despite the worse textures and lower poly counts simply because they implemented FSAA well and it gave the graphics a smooth and crisp look.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 10:04:00 AM »

That's obviously a very early build of the game... not just by how basic it looks compaired to more recent screenshots but because it's running at a non-standard resolution (or at least one not supported by the Wii) which leads one to believe that it was created on a development PC.

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 10:11:00 AM »

my niece will get a wii for christmas... and i will buy twilight princess.. enough said.. this system will kick ass.

killab138

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 10:12:00 AM »

wow...i always get excited when there is wii news.
i am really looking foreward to it coming out.
i'll admit that i am a nintendo fan.
not a fanboy or anything.
cant wait to buy one though. biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif
Pages: [1] 2 3 4