xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Wii Hack  (Read 601 times)

indiraider

• Archived User
Wii Hack
« on: June 25, 2006, 01:46:00 AM »

Like the title?  biggrin.gif

This generation or more accurately describe the "soon to be coming generation", will be interesting for Nintendo. This is because it will be the first time they use any standard non proprietary media. But they went all the way and announced they will have standard SD cards as memory and USB hard drives as memory also. Also, this time they will use standard DVDs not the mini-DVD crap! The question I'm asking is how long will it take for this thing to get hacked? Always (i mean always) Nintendo has done some PHYSICAL protection for their software to run homebrew or "backups". The for the SNES it was the shape of the cart and actually getting on. For the GC it was again the shape or size of the disk and getting the disk. For the GB/GC/GBA/DS/DSL it was finding and buying expensive flash-card (which surprising enough no one really knows about from outside the scene). And after getting the game into the machine, Nintendo did really nothing to prevent piracy/homebrew on the software side of the system, and did not really seem to care about the few who managed to do it. Not to the extent of MS. With non-propriety media and a simple machine, wii may be able to get a soft hack in a matter of days, break the encryption on the DVDs, and start homebrew/backups. Imagine the possibilities on homebrew for the wii.

1. Connectivity via DS touch screen- from what I heard on various sites it could transfer menus and be a controller for the wii. Imagine XBMC for the wii using the DS/DSL as a controller to actually see the album or movie cover you want on the touch screen and select it that way (the wii is supposed to work with standard USB 2.0 External HDs). that's just the begging, what about Full on homebrew games with the DS.

2. the virtual console- who really wants to pay 8 bux for an 10 year old N64 game? Perfect emulation, no need to write emulators.

3. Imagine homebrew using the wii controller- This is self explanatory.

If hacked this may be the the biggest homebrew scene EVER.
Cheap price+standard media+revolutionary control+ds=best scene

I forgot to mention there is 512mb of built in flash memory too
References: SD cards
DVDs and SDs

dohopoki

• Archived User
Wii Hack
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 03:38:00 AM »

I think you're being overly optimistic on soft mod happening within days. I could be wrong, since I know nothing of gamecube modding but I don't think disc size was the biggest problem. Japan had that version of that ran DVDs for one.

Have they even said they were using DVDs? Last I heard (it was a while ago) they only said it was the size of a standard DVD.

I also haven't heard official word on $10 n64 games but even if that is how much they'll be, it's not that bad. We don't know how the virtual console works but I doubt it'll be running Super Mario 64 !.n64. They've said some games will be improved with smoother graphics and better frame rates, I'm personally betting 64 gets the blunt of these kinds of updates. So if you want free emulation on your Wii it probably won't be on the virtual console until someone figures out how to break the file protection they'll no doubt put on each game from verifying it's on the right console and they start distrubuting them online. They might even make you have your Wii hooked up to the internet to get the verification, after all if you're buying games, you have the internet.

This post has been edited by dohopoki: Jun 25 2006, 10:50 AM

Chron Johnson

• Archived User
Wii Hack
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 11:14:00 AM »

Well about the size of the Gamecube disc...you can just take the top off.  If anything the Gamebit screws holding the case in (same as SNES, N64, etc) are more protective.  I learned about Gamecube hacking...it was easy, the hardest part was dealing with its "scene".  Misinformation sabotaged me a number of times...let's hope that a given "scene"'s greatness is proportionate to the headiness of the console.

indiraider

• Archived User
Wii Hack
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 01:16:00 PM »

I agree with you, its really different this time for nintendo and very interesting because of their willingness to steer away from propriatary features of the console. To your knowledge was there any physical protection for the Gamecube? Because the action replay method you just need to put an encrypted file, i think Gcos or something to boot a back up. I was very easy, it will be interesting for the Wii scene if its easy like that. Especially since the dev kit is under $200.

Chron Johnson

• Archived User
Wii Hack
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 04:24:00 PM »

I've seen the Action Replay method implemented with simple SD flash media jammed into the memory slot via an adaptor...the guy on IRC was trying to convince me that mod chips were foolish when one could simply make such a flash device that would make any GC it was inserted into modded fully.  There are like 50 ways to crack a Gamecube.  There's this XenoGC too which directly attacks the DVD protection.  The Qoob operates by tapping into the Broadband Adaptor port along with two points on the BIOS chip...as does the Viper Pro.  Hacking the Gamecube seems only limited by the Gamecube's relatively uninteresting nature...a scene does not coalesce to hack the uninteresting.

atomiX

• Archived User
Wii Hack
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 08:53:00 PM »

Although the cartridge-based Nintendo consoles didn't have software protection (except for the DS) that I know of, the cartridge format itself can be considered a type of protection. There is no comparison of piracy on cartridge-based systems vs. optical-based systems...optical drive media are obviously easier to pirate so the cartridge did deter piracy to some extent mostly because of the costs involved.

However, it's still ignorant to say that the Wii will be cracked within days because it will be using DVD media. Lets not forget that the Gamecube, PS2 and Xbox also use DVD. In these cases, it's not the media that's the problem, it's the proprietary filesystems/disc structures that are used to store the game data that protect the contents. Of course they say that they'll be using DVDs for the Wii but how much are you willing to bet that they won't be using something that can easily be copied and/or read on a PC. Look at the PS2 and PS1, the games could be copied as soon as the system came out but could you play them right away? Of course not.

Using widely-available media like SD cards and USB mass storage isn't much either...protection will be placed on those as well.

All that being said, I'm not saying I wouldn't want to see homebrew on the Wii. I wouldn't mind having better N64 emulation on a console...

This post has been edited by atomiX: Jun 27 2006, 03:58 AM

Kthulu

• Archived User
Wii Hack
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 07:08:00 PM »

there are 2 basic motivations for hacking consoles in general:
1.  piracy
a.  to play with emulators
b.  to play on the original system

2.  homebrew

a.  run alt-os
b.  run emulators
c.  run media centers

i'm blah because #2 is the primary reason why i would be interested in hacking and also what helped form such a strong hacking community for the Xbox.  #2 really has little chance of flourishing around the Wii when you can run Linux on a PS3 out-of-the-box so-to-speak and big-N has already included the 'virtual console'.  2a is all that is really necessary to accomplish 2b and 2c.  1a has as much chance of happening and appeal as a gamecube emu for the PC IMO (very probable that wii and gc games will run well on PC emus in a year or 2, but most likely sans wii-remote which really = gc emulation, therefore, uninteresting because gc systems and games will be so cheap)
1b is also very probable within 6mos to a year.  this will be very appealing to some, but like i said not fertile soil for a flourishing 'scene'.  in fact, i doubt even 1b would be interesting to many.  who (supposedly) wants a wii?  nintendo die-hards whose conscience would weigh too much at the prospect of cheating big-N and the casual gamer that big-N is trying to appeal to.  these 'casual gamers' are not going to be the sort to hack their wii.

3.  This would be an item of great interest to me and i believe many others.  However, this motivation is exclusive to the Wii.  A hack that will take existing rom-dumps, put them on SD or USB memory, and make them playable via the Wii's 'virtual console'.  if this happens, i would by a Wii when the price gets to $200.  If not, then I will wait until the price is $100...however long that may be.

This post has been edited by Kthulu: Nov 26 2006, 03:12 AM

{EH}Talon

• Archived User
Wii Hack
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 09:17:00 PM »

Well Wii hacking is kinda boring at the moment , the internet browser redirect "Hack" ( i use quotes cause it isnt hacking anything really , its just redirecting a website to another one !) after the first time you see google on the Wii it totally looses its fun factor ,

I was trying to copy the Red Steel game i have and for some reason i cannot see any files on my pc when i stick it in my drive

Im gonna try to edit some channels when i get my SD card... atleast that sounds a little more fun lol

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
Wii Hack
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 11:41:00 PM »

i think if homebrew figured out how to use the wii-remotes fully, it would be really bad ass.

just depends on the interest of the people who have the skills to do these great things for the scene.

c-pimp

• Archived User
Wii Hack
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 02:42:00 PM »

bahh... virtual console.... they make you pay 10$ for n64 8$ for snes and below that is 5$ I think....
but however you are not purchasing the game.... you are licensing the game and if you have to do a system format for any reason and you dont backup your games properly then you will no longer have them and will have to rebuy them again.... which is retarded considering i have the cartridges still in my other room for all the games I would even use the virtual console for.... golden eye, mario 64, snes zelda... and such...
pffft...
just my two cents...
and also from what I have read people were able to load gcos and run homebrew thru virtual console so far however they cannot run backups because its not same dvd drive in the machine which the backups depend on a certain dev command to be sent or some shit like that... i dunno but so far gcos can be ran from what I have read you can use the max drive pro but only after loading it with the freeloader gamecube cd.... also freeloader still loads imports and apparantly will run max drive pro from what I hear... i was never into gc scene so i dont have any of this shit...
apparantly however there has been talk of all this in a discussion on maxconsole forum so you should check up with them there if you are interested....
for me right now im fine with freeloader loading my imports for gc...
peace
-James

(got carried away giving my two cents)

Kthulu

• Archived User
Wii Hack
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 07:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(c-pimp @ Nov 27 2006, 04:42 PM) View Post

bahh... virtual console.... they make you pay 10$ for n64 8$ for snes and below that is 5$ I think....
but however you are not purchasing the game.... you are licensing the game and if you have to do a system format for any reason and you dont backup your games properly then you will no longer have them and will have to rebuy them again.... which is retarded considering

that's why i would be interested in a hack that would massage existing roms (choose your method of aquisition) into a format that would be usable by the virtual console.
QUOTE(c-pimp @ Nov 27 2006, 04:42 PM) View Post
and also from what I have read people were able to load gcos and run homebrew thru virtual console so far however they cannot run backups because its not same dvd drive in the machine which the backups depend on a certain dev command to be sent or some shit like that... i dunno but so far gcos can be ran from what I have read you can use the max drive pro but only after loading it with the freeloader gamecube cd.... also freeloader still loads imports and apparantly will run max drive pro from what I hear... i was never into gc scene so i dont have any of this shit...

i knew this stuff existed for the gamecube.  are you saying it works on the Wii as well?

doberman

• Archived User
Wii Hack
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 11:57:00 AM »

For now nothing beat what can be done with XBMC! If they are able to figure out a way to have a multimedia player like XBMC for Wii, it will be amazing!...

I use my xbox only for xbmc... and I wish I could replace it with something nicer  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

SR388

• Archived User
Wii Hack
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 01:39:00 PM »

wouldn't it be WMC then?  (Wii Media Center)

BoNg420

• Archived User
Wii Hack
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 01:42:00 PM »

why would you want wii media center, it will only be able to do 480P with the comp cables, its cheaper to softmod/hardmod a xbox for a media center.

SR388

• Archived User
Wii Hack
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 04:44:00 PM »

for the same reason there are half of the homebrew progs for the xbox, some my suck, but it is still cool because you can run that kind of stuff

idk why WMC, but it would be cool

personally, I hardly use XBMC on the xbox
Pages: [1] 2 3