xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: A Few Lil Non-answered Questions...  (Read 121 times)

aLuCaRD

• Archived User
A Few Lil Non-answered Questions...
« on: January 26, 2006, 03:20:00 PM »

I ordered a ceramic white (Jap but all regions) PSP from Lik-Sang with the hope that one day the firmware will be patch so I can continue to play emulators mainly, and slightly use the web browser to control my XBMC, anyhow, my questions are...

1. What Firmware comes on the white PSP's..?

2. How easy is it to choose what firmware I have, I see theres now a downgrader from v2.0 to 1.5 but if I run the updater on it does it update to the latest version (Above 2.0 for example.) does it therefore not allow me to use the downgrader..?

3. How long does the battery life roughly playing an emulator from a stick, assume its longer then running a disc..?
4. Does the wireless have good range..? (Will it work out in my garden or is it low strengthed.)

5. Does the wireless eat the battery life immensly..?

6. Any good Final Fantasy/Suikoden/Shinning Force type games out on the PSP yet..? (With English text.)
     ( I see they are releasing something to so with Suikoden (1 & 2 I think.) out in Japan.)

7. Are the racing games any good on such a small screen..?

8. Is the hardware mod thing to allow the PSP to display on a large screen and have a PS2 pad plugged in the back removable and allow me to use the white cover still as the covers that come with the mod look naff and I cant find instrauctions..?

9. Do emulators/the downgrader/homebrew have to be run from the root of the memory card..?

Thanks for any light that can be shed.

Andy smile.gif

netdevil69

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 04:07:00 PM »

1. What Firmware comes on the white PSP's

Either 1.52 or 2.0 (i have seen both of those on White PSPs)

2. How easy is it to choose what firmware I have, I see theres now a downgrader from v2.0 to 1.5 but if I run the updater on it does it update to the latest version (Above 2.0 for example.) does it therefore not allow me to use the downgrader..

Once you go above 2.0, you can NOT downgrade.

3. How long does the battery life roughly playing an emulator from a stick, assume its longer then running a disc..?

Depends what your emulating, if your running ROMS for older consoles , you get a lot more life, if your running PSP ISO's (your backups i should hope), you also get a lot longer, about 150-200% battery life. (it depends on what speed the CPU is running)

Does the wireless have good range..?

Depends on battery life, i normally get very good range.

Does the wireless eat the battery life immensly

Its not too bad, quite good actualy.

Any good Final Fantasy/Suikoden/Shinning Force type games out on the PSP yet..?

Pass, not my type of game, check game review sites.

Are the racing games any good on such a small screen..?

Yes, some of them (burnout, ridge racer) are very good.

Is the hardware mod thing to allow the PSP to display on a large screen and have a PS2 pad plugged in the back removable and allow me to use the white cover still as the covers that come with the mod look naff and I cant find instrauctions..?

Best too look on the manufacturers site.

Do emulators/the downgrader/homebrew have to be run from the root of the memory card..?

No,

Emulators and homebrew run from (root/PSP/GAME)

Downgrader runs from (root/PSP/UPDATE and root/PSP/PHOTO and root/)

smile.gif

aLuCaRD

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 04:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(netdevil69 @ Jan 27 2006, 12:14 AM) View Post

No,

Emulators and homebrew run from (root/PSP/GAME)

Downgrader runs from (root/PSP/UPDATE and root/PSP/PHOTO and root/)

smile.gif

Wow, thanks very much for all the info, was nice to get them all answered in one go.

Would like to clarify this answer you gave. Do you mean...

root/PSP/Burnout, root/PSP/RidgeRacer or do you mean the folder has to be names game..?

Also having not seen any update software for a PSP yet is it easy to make sure I dont go over v2.0 using the PSPs "dashboard"..?

netdevil69

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 12:33:00 PM »

Would like to clarify this answer you gave. Do you mean...

root/PSP/Burnout, root/PSP/RidgeRacer or do you mean the folder has to be names game..?

If your playing ISO files (your own backups of course), the software you use to play them is either fastloader or UMD Emulator, there installed like this. (Each peice of homebrew uses 2 folders on firmware 1.5 and each folder contains an eboot file, and sometimes other files) ISO loaders use more folders and files then other apps.

/root/PSP/GAME/FASTLOADER
/root/PSP/GAME/FASTLOADER%
OR (or you can have both apps installed)
/root/PSP/GAME/UMDEMULATOR
/root/PSP/GAME/UMDEMULATOR%

and they would load the ISO files from

/root/ISO/Ridge Racer.iso
/root/ISO/Burnout.iso

Also having not seen any update software for a PSP yet is it easy to make sure I dont go over v2.0 using the PSPs "dashboard"..?

Yes, if you launch the updater on your PSP, just dont agree to it running. Before it upgrades, it asks you if you want to upgrade, you simply click "No" Also some ISO loaders like UMD emulator can also stop upgraders loading while there in memory, just be careful.

Wow, thanks very much for all the info, was nice to get them all answered in one go.

beerchug.gif

netdevil69

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 10:29:00 AM »

I would get that PSP quick and check the letter code on the box.

Looks like Sony have caught up with the backlog and are now flashing ALL PSPs with firmware 2.01.

People like liksang are still shipping 1.52's and 2.00s, just be careful you dont get stung with a 2.01.

aLuCaRD

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 11:44:00 AM »

Thankyou for both the replies, at the moment the tracking said it was in Germany a lil after midnight last night so Im getting excited.

biggrin.gif

As for the firmware versions Im a patient person so wont be annoyed much if I have to wait for new downgraders, Im getting 2 games with it too so they'll keep me busy.

That said one of the main reasons Im getting a PSP is for the emulator side of it, I stuck all my old systems and games up in my loft when I could play them on my XBox, playing them on a PSP would be a nice way to lengthen there play time.

smile.gif

netdevil69

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 08:07:00 AM »

Even if your stuck with 2.01, theres some great work going on to get homebrew loading on firmware above 2.00, like the eboot loader here http://fanjita.org/ .

Thankyou for both the replies

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) heres to your PSP.