xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Restoring A Sony Vaio Laptop  (Read 271 times)

Infamous Ob

• Archived User
Restoring A Sony Vaio Laptop
« on: May 20, 2010, 08:02:00 AM »

My Wife's Viao went out last month or so. I thought HDD died, but I took it out and tried to turn the on, nothing. It doesn't even light up the Power and HDD nor Chraging indicator LED's when I plug it in. It's just sitting on the mantle useless. Any clues, tips, ideas? Thanks.

Alex548

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »

Try a different charger. Maybe the one you have took a dump.

If that doesn't work, google the specs for your model. Some laptops have a power board that connects to the motherboard. If the power board blew out, you can check it with a multimeter. If it's dead, replace & you're good to go again. smile.gif

Worst case scenario, you can buy a replacement motherboard from ebay (I do that all the time).

Infamous Ob

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(Alex548 @ May 20 2010, 06:25 PM) View Post

Try a different charger. Maybe the one you have took a dump.

If that doesn't work, google the specs for your model. Some laptops have a power board that connects to the motherboard. If the power board blew out, you can check it with a multimeter. If it's dead, replace & you're good to go again. smile.gif

Worst case scenario, you can buy a replacement motherboard from ebay (I do that all the time).

You know whats weird, I opened it up and the Power supply is ran direct. And as for the charger, the power LED is still coming on whenever it's plugged in. I HIGHLY doubt it's the motherboard, this laptop is only a few months old, she just bought it recently. I mean, I'm all up for anything to get it running, but it's weird that the charger is still getting power I think... And if the charger is still good, then it's something else. I checked the soldering on the power cable port on the motherboard, and it's still clean like factory.

Alex548

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 04:10:00 PM »

If it's relatively new, you're better off checking the warranty status with Sony and have them fix it for you.

Infamous Ob

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(Alex548 @ May 21 2010, 06:10 PM) View Post

If it's relatively new, you're better off checking the warranty status with Sony and have them fix it for you.

Yeah, that should've been my first line of action. I'll check into it and see what happens.