xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Tablet Pc  (Read 307 times)

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Tablet Pc
« on: April 27, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »

ok so I've never really cared about iPods or iPhones or anything like that but the recently release of the iPad has got me thinking... if it was more like a PC it might actually be useful laugh.gif

Tablet PCs have been out for a while so I figure I could pick one up pretty cheap.

Scenario 1: the home theater room
-I want to be able to play youtube videos, open PDFs and browse the web properly (IE: can view forums and javascript heavy sites)
-Has an IR port so I can use it like a remote control (not really a NEED but it'd be cool to play around with)

Basically I want to be able to look up game guides (which are often youtube videos, or custom javascript interface, or forums and wikis) or simply lookup stuff on IMDB etc. to find out what other movie that guy in the movie I'm watching now was in... etc.

Scenario 2: the garage
-Read PDFs so I can lookup FSMs and other documentation
-Support for IE6 or higher since all the GM FSMs require it (sad but true)
-USB and or Serial port so I can hook up my OBD scanners and run diagnostics/program the computer

Basically something I can easily carry out to the garage to look stuff up or tune my car.

onboard Wifi is a deal breaker, and I'd like a battery life that lasts at least an hour.

Anyone have any recommendations?

I like the idea of a tablet or at least one of those flip-screen convertibles over a traditional laptop.

I'm not looking for anything fancy... a Pentium M based machine with 512MB ram and a 40GB HDD would be adequate for my needs... I'd like to spend around $100 on a used rig maybe $150 if it's a good deal.

throwingks

• Archived User
Tablet Pc
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »

If you get a used one, make sure you get a sturdy manufacturer. The hinges go out fairly quickly. My brother had an IBM Lenovo, and used it all the time for work. He travels a lot, so it made it through airport security plenty of times, and never had any issues. Saying you want something for the garage makes me think a Panasonic Toughbook may be better for you, but those are really pricey.
Ex: http://phoenix.craig...1706906389.html

I don't know of any models though, that meet your criteria in your price range.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Tablet Pc
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »

I've been very pleased with IBM/Lenovo in the past

looking on ebay the X41 tablet seems to be the most common IBM tablet and available between 100-$200

even if used in a garage it wont really see very much abuse... mostly just sitting on the bench or on the passenger's seat like digital paper.