xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: File Host Virus  (Read 431 times)

ressurectionx

• Archived User
File Host Virus
« on: February 07, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »

Ya'all can do what you want, but I will no longer be downloading anything that people host on Filehost.  The PC that I just restarted from scratch 3 weeks ago is infected with a major trojan again and it happened while the ad page popped up when I was downloading a file from there.

Might be coincidence, but I wasn't doing anything else that would have infected me.  

Use File Host at your own risk.

madmab

• Archived User
File Host Virus
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »

Bummer if that's the case I'm gonna need something else because megaupload has been real crappy lately.

VampX

• Archived User
File Host Virus
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 08:18:00 PM »

And thats why *I* use NoScript & Adblock Plus!

(IMG:http://www.moonbattery.com/ObamaSmug.jpg)

This post has been edited by VampX: Feb 8 2010, 05:22 AM

Barbie_on_Weed

• Archived User
File Host Virus
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »

Adblock Plus.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

ressurectionx

• Archived User
File Host Virus
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »

I seriously need to do something.  I'll try those programs out.

This is the third major virus I've gotten on 2 PCs in the last 3 weeks.  I just got a virus on the computer I'm typing from now 3 days ago.  I've managed to squash that virus without killing the system, but now iTunes and doesn't work, and even Internet Explorer doesn't work, although I can still use Firefox.  Once I get things sorted out on this PC and I'm sure I won't lose data by reinstalling everything, I will be doing that to this PC as well.

At least here I know I probably got it after using eMule (I forgot why I stopped using that), but the XBox PC has now been infected twice in 3 weeks and I don't really understand what I was doing to trigger it.  

The first time (3 weeks ago) I have absolutely no clue what triggered it.

This time, some car ad overtook the screen after I put the capta in.  That's happened to me before when using that site with no problems.  It then had the usual "Skip This Ad" on the top right after it did it's thing.  As soon as I clicked on that, Firefox was hanging up a bit and then what looked like Windows Update started installing something new.  Shortly thereafter Windows was saying my firewall was disabled and a bogus Windows prompt came up and was scanning my drive for supposed spyware and I started getting all kinds of alterts.

Is there something I could do maybe with my router for better security that won't inhibit me from using things like uTorrent, IM, and iTunes?  

There's got to be some way I can have more security here.  I'm getting really f'ing tired of reinstalling everything so many times in such a short timeframe when I've got these deadlines to meet.

steveo1978

• Recovered User
File Host Virus
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »

What does this have to do with emulators for the Xbox1

ressurectionx

• Archived User
File Host Virus
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »

Who are you?  Go away.

steveo1978

• Recovered User
File Host Virus
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »

<< there's my info. Topic is being moved.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
File Host Virus
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 12:12:00 AM »

What is your problem dude?

I've never seen you around before.  I happened to post that in the forum because a lot of us are using File Host to do the Xtras work.  

Please move the topic back before I have other mods intervene.

Don't try to throw your weight around here man.  I have a rep and other mods will have my back on this one.

steveo1978

• Recovered User
File Host Virus
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 12:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(ressurectionx @ Feb 8 2010, 02:12 AM) *

Don't try to throw your weight around here man.  I have a rep and other mods will have my back on this one.

The post was not directly related to the Xbox1 so that is why I moved it and for no other reason then that. I did leave a moved link there so if anyone in the Emulator side of things sees the link they can be helped by your post.

Alex548

• Recovered User
File Host Virus
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »

Thread was moved properly. There's still a link in the emulator forum like steveo pointed out.
No need to get pissed off over something so minor.

By the way, use an anti-virus program with real time scanning (like ESET NOD32) and keep your firewall on.
firefox with adblock plus helps as well.

You can also try malwarebytes anti-malware (free). It works great for removing malware from your system.

neil222

• Archived User
File Host Virus
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »

biggrin.gif

BlueSlingShot

• Archived User
File Host Virus
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2020, 05:00:00 PM »

I can see where RX is becoming heated from, he's trying to have all this stuff out by march for the benefit of the scene and this stuff keeps on setting him back a week or 2. He's just venting (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy.gif)

RX, as soon as you reinstall everything, make a restore point.

I don't know what type of trojans your getting but everyone that i have gotten in the past i was able to stomp by doing system restore.

Or better yet, do like i have and by a nice little macbook for surfing the internet, dl whatever files you want, transfer them to a fat 32 stick then transfer to pc.

These ads don't attack mac software as they do pc.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
File Host Virus
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2020, 05:18:00 PM »

Please mods, save the thread enforcing for people who are attacking others or who are newbies who don't read the forum rules.  I've more than put in my time and effort into the scene and don't deserve any of this.

There was nothing wrong with this post in the forum that it was in since it was directed at the very people working with me on the project and this happens to be the easiest way to convey information to all of them in one place.  None of them would have seen this warning in " Off Topic Forums > Other Platforms > Personal Computer (PC, MAC, etc) General Talk > File Host Virus" because that thread is OFF TOPIC from what we are doing.

I don't have time to deal with the anger that a few mods I've never even heard of have caused me these last 12 or so hours.  I already have way too much work to do in the next month without this BS.  I've done fine in there the last 2 or more years without the mods help, and I would appreciate it if it could stay that way until I'm done.

This is my attempt at trying to remain civil while airing my grievances with how I've been treated.  This is not a personal attack on anyone and should not be read as so.

Thanks,
~Rx

Alex548

• Recovered User
File Host Virus
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2020, 05:46:00 PM »

None of them would have seen this warning in " Off Topic Forums > Other Platforms > Personal Computer (PC, MAC, etc) General Talk > File Host Virus" because that thread is OFF TOPIC from what we are doing.

It's still visible there:
(IMG:http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/9/17/1439209/xs1.jpg)

Clicking on the link simply redirects you to where the thread is supposed to go. There's absolutely nothing preventing "your" people from viewing the thread from within the emulators forum.
You're getting bent out of shape over nothing just as I mentioned before. Take a chill pill & move on.

This time, some car ad overtook the screen after I put the capta in. That's happened to me before when using that site with no problems. It then had the usual "Skip This Ad" on the top right after it did it's thing. As soon as I clicked on that, Firefox was hanging up a bit and then what looked like Windows Update started installing something new. Shortly thereafter Windows was saying my firewall was disabled and a bogus Windows prompt came up and was scanning my drive for supposed spyware and I started getting all kinds of alterts.

Download malwarebytes anti malware and perform a full system scan. It'll remove any malware on your PC without you having to reinstall your entire operating system. Depending on the size of your hard drive, this may take a little over an hour to complete, but that's MUCH easier than reinstalling everything from scratch.  

You can also do a system restore to a previous day when you know you didn't have a virus (or trojan). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

This post has been edited by Alex548: Yesterday, 03:01 AM
Pages: [1] 2