xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Domain Questions  (Read 186 times)

sicknasty413

• Archived User
Domain Questions
« on: October 30, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »

Hey guys,

Long time no talk.. how ya' been?

Anyway, I made a new website for an organization I'm in. It's located on my college servers at student.virginia.edu/~blah

The organization would like me to get a domain for the website for easier access, such as "blah.net"

Now I'm confused to how I'd go about tying the new domain to the old one. Like say I purchased the domain through 1&1... I understand I could have "blah.net" forward to "student.virginia.edu/~blah"... and I understand that masking would basically do the same thing, except keep "blah.net" in the address bar (so that no one would ever see "student.virginia.edu/~blah"

But would masking make it so that "student.virginia.edu/~blah/about" be "blah.net/about"? If not, how would I get it so that happens? I'm so confused  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Thanks guys!

P.s. The website has to stay on UVa servers

EDIT - Oh, also, I forgot to mention, apparently UVa will host the domain at my request if that helps... also, who should I register the domain through??

This post has been edited by sicknasty413: Oct 30 2009, 08:03 PM

rajkamaliya

• Archived User
Domain Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 12:17:00 AM »

Buy a domain name and then in your control panel, you have to use "add-on" domain feature. this solves your problem of "domain.com/about". All your new pages in CMS or static site will b written accordingly. Add-on domain feature makes it easy that way.