xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Need Some Help - Pc Died Out Of Nowhere  (Read 187 times)

GoTeamScotch

• Recovered User
Need Some Help - Pc Died Out Of Nowhere
« on: October 10, 2009, 11:20:00 PM »

Hi

My computer recently kicked the bucket and I've been googling, searching, asking friends about what could be the root of the problem but I'm still clueless.

One day I was surfing the web, just checking my email and surfing around my usual sites when out of nowhere my monitor started repeating itself with no response. Like the top 1/8 of the screen was distorted and repeated for the rest of the screen. When I rebooted I got a weird looking POST screen (still scrambled) then I saw what must have been the windows logo, again scrambled, then it stopped right there and froze. I rebooted once more and my PC fan (controlled by the mobo) was at full speed with no response on the monitor, from the keyboard, nothing.

I've tried all sorts of things already. Removing all PCI cards, replacing ram, replacing PSU, unplugging everything but the power connector and power switch to the board and turning it on and still nothing. I have tried taking out the cmos battery, fiddling with jumpers, even removing and reconnecting the CPU and now I don't know what the hell to do.

Any ideas/recommendations?
It would make a lovely paperweight but its way more spunky than my current POS.

many thanks

Alex548

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »

Are you using onboard video?
If so, get a hold of a PCI (or PCIe) video card & try it.
If you already have a video card installed, try a different one.

Your motherboard may have just taken a dump.
if you don't have money for a new PC, you can search ebay for an exact replacement motherboard (they're usually inexpensive for older PC's).
. . . or take this opportunity to upgrade your PC smile.gif

GoTeamScotch

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 05:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(Alex548 @ Oct 12 2009, 04:09 PM) View Post

Are you using onboard video?
If so, get a hold of a PCI (or PCIe) video card & try it.
If you already have a video card installed, try a different one.

Your motherboard may have just taken a dump.
if you don't have money for a new PC, you can search ebay for an exact replacement motherboard (they're usually inexpensive for older PC's).
. . . or take this opportunity to upgrade your PC smile.gif

Its onboard video.

I ended up scrapping it and using it for parts. The LEDs and switches will come in handy. I'm currently using an old PC I had in my closet until I get a new one. 1.8ghz 1gb ram...its not the best but it works for now.

thanks for the advice anyways Alex