xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Burnt Power Supply Resistor  (Read 26 times)

PSYKO_Inc

• Archived User
Burnt Power Supply Resistor
« on: May 06, 2007, 01:48:00 PM »

Hi everyone!  I'm a total noob to Xbox modding (never even owned one till now, but I'm a radio tech for the US Air Force so I have a background in electronics) but I decided to take a stab at it.  I picked up an "as-is" Xbox on Ebay, and immediately dug into it.  When I turn it on, it does the green flubber screen (with no audio) and then seems to hang at the green Xbox logo screen for several seconds until it finally shows the error screen ("Your Xbox requires service"...yadda yadda yadda).  The strange part is that it doesn't show any error code.  I guess it knows something is wrong, but doesn't know what.  Anyways, I opened up the box and was dissappointed to find that someone before me decided to open up the unit and disassemble the hard drive blink.gif Obviously, the hard drive is toast.  I've got an old 20 GB Maxtor drive that I can throw in for now, and I've ordered an Xecuter X3 modchip to make it work.  If I can get it up and running, I'll probably swap in a 250 GB drive later on.

Anyways, on to the point of this post.  I noticed one burnt resistor on the power supply.  It's a Foxlink PSU in a v1.0 Xbox.  The burnt resistor is R11 (next to the transformer under the heatsink that has the "caution hot surface" sticker.  I metered that resistor at 7.74K.  If anyone has this type of PSU, could you let me know the color codes on the resistor?  If it's in spec, I'll leave it alone, but I have a feeling it may be out of spec.  If anyone can help me it'd be much appreciated  smile.gif