xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Want To Learn Linux  (Read 26 times)

DrunkPenguin

• Archived User
Want To Learn Linux
« on: February 22, 2004, 06:13:00 PM »

well i started with red hat, i quickly realized that linux is stuck in the 80s and went back to windows.  if your really bored have fun with it but linux as a very long way to go.

DrunkPenguin

EvilWays

• Archived User
Want To Learn Linux
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 10:33:00 PM »

Stuck in the 80s???

Try Knoppix. It runs off a CD (download the image, burn to CD, pop CD into a drive and reboot), and if you like it, use said CD to install it.

GaijinPunch

• Archived User
Want To Learn Linux
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 04:27:00 AM »

Bit Torrent is a great place to get any Linux distro -- not sure about CD stuff.

I started with Redhat 8.0.  It's pretty easy to pick up, although I don't like the way they hide the x-term from the user (it's not in the toolbar, and is hard to find in the menu).

Suse is another one that's got some good functionality, and isn't so hard to pick up.  In all honesty, they're all pretty easy to learn if you put in the time, you just want one that has a big userbase... that way you find more information on the net when you hit a stump.  I chose the above two b/c they have great multi-lingualization out of the box.

HTH

Aron Parsons

• Archived User
Want To Learn Linux
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 06:49:00 AM »

Redhat or Mandrake I would suggest.  Once you become comfortable with Linux, try some other distros and see how you like them.  Some are not as noob friendly, but offer much more if you know what you're doing (i.e. Slackware).

Xboxman20

• Archived User
Want To Learn Linux
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 04:17:00 PM »

I had trouble trying to run linux on my pc with my geforce video card. As soon as my pops gets more money hes building me a p4 3 ghz machine soon so ill learn on that.

SniperKilla

• Archived User
Want To Learn Linux
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004, 04:20:00 AM »

smile.gif

i dont use it anyway but still fucked up

im a debian guy my self smile.gif

if you can find it get a copy of the xandros 2.0 iso (its not free, thats why you gotta find it) its a wonderful noob distro

abhic

• Archived User
Want To Learn Linux
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2004, 09:21:00 PM »

Started with Redhat 5.x till 8. Then moved to Debian and never looked back. RH sucks compared to D.