DermicSavage

• Archived User
*kaboom*
« on: December 08, 2003, 05:32:00 PM »

wink.gif)

so of course i flip and reach for the master power and shut the thing off

laster diagnostic shows these had gone bad
Motherboard(cheap ECS piece)
Hard Drive(120 gig, was still under warranty *whew*)
*BRAND NEW* ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 meg graphics card
512 MB PC 2700 DDR RAM
and
AMD XP 2400+

so yeah i got screwed big time :/

luckily i was able to get my hard drive replaced, and I am arguing with the manufacturers of the video card to see if the warranty will cover it(i hope so :/)

but yeah in the end it costed me about 200 bux to get a new XP 2400+, RAM and mobo(spent 100 on the mobo cause i felt i should get something that wasnt a POS)

just as a quick review, my new mobo is the Abit KV7 and it is a friggin good mobo, built in SATA RAID(0, 1 or 0+1 arrays) with 2 slots(so wtf is the point of having a 0+1 array type option!?!) i find it to be an interestign feature i wish to look into if i ever can afford two SATA drives

and you pentium fanboys can piss off i was short on cash, and AMDs are better up until the 2600 range, then pentiums r better so dun bitch at me about "AMD is SHIAT!!!" k?

DermicSavage

• Archived User
*kaboom*
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003, 05:04:00 AM »

yeah, i didnt buy the drive, maxtor sent it to me cause my waranty on the old one hasnt run out yet, and this on board raid only suppors 0, 1, or 0+1(0 just combines a buncha drives into 1, 1 reserves half the drives to be backups in case another drive dies)

if i ever wanted to make use of raid for backup purposes i would use 5, but i dont need to use it and cant use it, so o well

XB0X_Mod

• Archived User
*kaboom*
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 05:58:00 AM »

beerchug.gif

joseph_hac

• Archived User
*kaboom*
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2003, 07:29:00 AM »

QUOTE (Alpha-Omega @ Dec 9 2003, 05:51 AM)
Also, raid is nice, but you should probably research it a bit, cause there are like 3-4 types of RAID. My friend uses Raid 0 where it sees the two drives as one, it's nice, but if one drive craps out, you're screwed. www.tomshardware.com has stuff about RAID somewhere.

There are actually 6 diffferent RAID configurations. 0-5. Be carful what Redundant Array of Independant Disk configuration you go for though, a few of them are failsafe methods for data loss prevention through replication. Example: you buy two 120 Gig HDDs and one is configured for replication. As far as your system knows, all you have is 120 gigs. Good ifyour overprotective of your data, but a waste of money if you just wated the storage.