xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Nes Problem  (Read 145 times)

47_M450N_47

• Archived User
Nes Problem
« on: April 23, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »

Hey guys, I just did the disable lockout chip mod for my NES in hopes that it would fix the problem, it did make it where the games start up MUCH easier, but some of them still don't work properly.  Operation Wolf will start up fine, but as soon as I press the trigger it freezes up.  Also Super Mario/Duckhunt does something similar, the Duckhunt part works fine but when trying to play Mario the screen freaks out about half way through the first stage.  Excitebike works 100% perfect, so it's not the NES.  Should I just try to buy new carts or is there a better method to clean the contacts (some of them have a rust-like substance on them).  I have been afraid to try polishing them without asking for a more proven method, but alcohol won't take the rust-like stuff off.  Any suggestions appreciated!

47_M450N_47

• Archived User
Nes Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 09:07:00 AM »

Hmm I might have to try that.  Do you think that mineral spirits (Turpentine) would work the same or should I try to find some Brasso?

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Nes Problem
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 09:20:00 AM »

use a pencil eraser... seriously

take the cart apart if you can to get a better angle....

chemicals=BAD

if you do need to use chemicals for whatever reason use "Contact Free Cleaner" (found at your local radio shack) it's designed specifically for cleaning electronic contacts and wont short anything out (just wipe off as much as you can and let it dry before you use it)

47_M450N_47

• Archived User
Nes Problem
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 03:42:00 PM »

I tried the pencil eraser thing a while back and forgot to mention that, it worked fairly well but it still didn't take off the rust-like stuff.  I'll stop by Radio Shack tomorrow on my way back from class and get some of that contact free cleaner stuff and try that out.  Thanks Twisted!

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Nes Problem
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 05:52:00 AM »

When using CFC I recommend spraying on a small amount and scrubbing it with a cheap toothbrush*  wink.gif

*this should go without saying but don't ever use that toothbrush in your mouth ever again after that.  laugh.gif

47_M450N_47

• Archived User
Nes Problem
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »

Haha, yeah I have an old toothbrush that I use for cleaning various things with.  I bought some of that spray today and I'll try it when I get home from work.  Hopefully I can get super mario and Operation Wolf to work!

47_M450N_47

• Archived User
Nes Problem
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »

Yeah I didn't get back home until 11pm so I didn't try the spray tonight.  I'll try it after college tomorrow and report the results.  Again, thanks for all your help Twisted!