xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Anyone Overclocked Anything?  (Read 152 times)

68HC000

• Archived User
Anyone Overclocked Anything?
« on: August 15, 2006, 11:14:00 AM »

I run underground console mods and was looking for some results. If anyone has overclocked any game system let me know. I have the tutorials to the ones I have done (besides the Neo Geo) on my website.

www.99-gtp.com/ucm

halosucks

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 11:17:00 AM »

i did a sega gen model 2 wasnt to pleased it was like playing sonic on crack everything was way to fast and hard to controll.

68HC000

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 11:23:00 AM »

i did a sega gen model 2 wasnt to pleased it was like playing sonic on crack everything was way to fast and hard to controll.

It doesnt physically speed up because the games are timed to the 60Hz (50 PAL) refresh rate. It must have been that marijuana you smoked before you played wink.gif

halosucks

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 11:30:00 AM »

i think we might be talking about 2 different kinds of mods, i saw this one on techtv (nowg4) so id thought id try it it had a crap load of wires

68HC000

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 11:38:00 AM »

Thats the one. My friend Deven was on there so I guess thats who you're talking about.

I'd love to know what mod physically speeds the games up!

TKramka

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 07:25:00 PM »

I tried OCing a Sega CD, however it did not take kindly to it.  Perhaps replacing it's onboard 68000 with a 68010 (with a higher speed grade) would work.  On a different note, the Mac Plus rotting in my basement loves it's new 68010...

68HC000

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 06:04:00 AM »

Ah I remember doing the sega CD back in the day, it doesn't like it too much. However, when I would halt the Sega CD's processor on Sonic CD, the game would continue to run. Only the scaled textures would freeze smile.gif.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 08:15:00 AM »

I know the 1.4HGz friend tech Xboxs run games at twice the speed.

I never really understood the intent of overclocking a console. There are a whole lot of things that rely on the clock speed being exactly X. in some cases it might help with slowdowns in certain areas in certain games, but from what I've seen it breaks more things then it fixes.

68HC000

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 08:26:00 AM »

It totally depends on the way the games are programmed, and in some rare cases the way the hardware is designed (IE Sega Saturn; a nightmare to overclock, and the Sega CD where the slave 68HC000 CPU is used to control CD-ROM, BIOS, and Genesis communication). in the case of the DreamX, only some cut scenes were affected with a physical speed increase. in cases such as this the CPU is throttling the video at a steady 60 FPS as coded.

I can send you somebefore and after videos where overclocking makes some games playable! metal Slug on the Neo Geo is one such title.

I always install a clock select switch that allows for stock gameplay, this resolves incompatability issues.

The saturn still gives me chills, I hate that hardware.

TKramka

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 10:17:00 AM »

Sooner or later someone will OC a Saturn, it just may not work...  One problem is that the CD Servo and the main CPU become out of sync, and this causes all sorts of "fun".  Perhaps overclocking a newstyle SNES would work better.  Would a OC'd PAL version run at the NTSC frequency (60hz)?  Some more food for thought, the XBox uses (to my understanding) 1 crystal that all timing is based off of.  In other words, changing the crystal changes the video timing, USB polling rate, etc.