xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: "games That Defined The Dreamcast" Article.  (Read 209 times)

KAGE360

• Archived User
"games That Defined The Dreamcast" Article.
« on: April 11, 2006, 10:45:00 AM »

Man, did the Sega Dreamcast have some quality games. Racket Boy on retro gaming reminisces on the best games that graced Sega's last home console release. From the article: "This feature... focuses most on the games that gave the Dreamcast its identity -- most of which were exclusives to the console. This list should serve as an excellent starting point for anybody looking to build a quality Dreamcast collection that will hold up to modern games."

Soul Calibur
Shenmue
Jet Grind Radio
Crazy Taxi
Virtua Tennis & Tennis 2K2
Skies of Arcadia
Power Stone & Power Stone 2
Sonic Adventure & Sonic Adventure 2
Full Review of Sonic Adventure 2
Samba De Amigo
Virtua Fighter 3TB
Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future
Chu Chu Rocket!
Phantasy Star Online
Street Fighter 3:Third Strike and other Fighters
Ikaruga

http://www.joystiq.c...sega-dreamcast/

great list though i could add a few more (grandia 2, seaman, alien front online just to name a few)

there are some idiots who comment at the bottom of the article, one even states that the dreamcast was on the same level of the N64  rolleyes.gif

i will always love my DC and play it to this day.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 01:06:00 PM »

heh, I've always been a fan of Racketboy's lists...

buttface96

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 02:14:00 PM »

why isnt Toy Commander on that list? that was the best game ever

Pizza Pizz

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 06:56:00 AM »

Resident Evil games too especially as Code Veronica first appeared on DC before ps2 & GameCube

add to that also the Dead Or Alive 2 - there was an enhanced SE Jap version

Prince Of Persia 3D - as far as I'm aware I think this version of POP only ever came out on DC & PC
(brilliant game many many years before Sands of Time)

Oi - what about Metropolis Street Racer - from the Gotham Racing peeps

uhm many others but one thing is for sure the Dreamcast was probably one of the greatest gaming consoles ever - probably without it the xbox may never have existed & online console gaming would never have taken off

Never ever got the respect from the general public it deserved - still got mine

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 11:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(atomiX @ Apr 12 2006, 06:09 PM) View Post

Rez should be added to that list.

Yah, but that was never REALLY produced en masse as it should have been.  Great game.  There has NEVER been anything like ti before or since.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 02:18:00 PM »

Lets face it, there are just too many damn games to list

Rez was awesome, I still play it frequently. If you imported the Japanese disc it played on a US console no problems (even changed the language) biggrin.gif

Now that I have the 360 it consumes most of my time, but I still play my DC more then the Xbox, PS2 and GC combine  ph34r.gif

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 02:44:00 PM »

one thing i have always been curious about is that the GPU in the dreamcast was able to do bump mapping, however i dont remember any games that actually used this effect, can anyone remember any?  maybe sonic 2 did as that game was clearly a generation above everything else at the time.  

but yes i can add tons and tons more to the list.  its a shame sega learned their lessons too late as i would love for them to still be in the console race.  even after playing 360 all this time its easier to go back to the DC then any other console

chadkeck

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 07:59:00 AM »

I think I remember reading somewhere that Slave Zero used bump mapping.  In one of those OLD dreamcast magazines.  DC = golden days of gaming.

dohopoki

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 08:59:00 AM »

I agree with a lot of that list, espicially the tennis games. How many parties did I go to with tournaments for those 2 games? While I remember 3rd Strike being on the Dreamcast, seems to me the one to list would be Marvel Vs Capcom 2, it's the one that had the infamous Dreamcast feel. Third Strike really started to capture me when it got to Xbox, so I'd mention it in the "and others". Speaking of other fighters, I don't know if this was among what they were thinking but UFC was a very intense grappling game at those said parties and maybe my favorite under Shenmue. I picked up a lot of this list after dreamcast died at used game stores for a buck a piece.

There will also never be a better Tony Hawk than Tony Hawk two for the Dreamcast.

That said, I wouldn't say the dreamcast was the golden age of gaming because everything was either Gold like this list or, as the majority was, total crap.

yaazz

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 12:05:00 PM »

Phantasy star online, when it was free, was like the best game ive ever played. I refuse to pay a monthly fee to play however.....

dohopoki

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 06:38:00 AM »

How could I forget Fire Pro Wrestling D.

paranoia4422

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 01:24:00 PM »

Jet grind radio was improved on xbox though tongue.gif I really wish they would make another remake with the same style graphics for the 360

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 01:27:00 PM »

I'd love to see a JGR on the 360... unfortunetly even thought JSRF was a launch title AND bundled game at once point it's still one of the WORST selling Xbox 1 titles. Sold less then 100K IIRC.

dohopoki

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 02:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jun 5 2006, 03:34 PM) View Post

I'd love to see a JGR on the 360... unfortunetly even thought JSRF was a launch title AND bundled game at once point it's still one of the WORST selling Xbox 1 titles. Sold less then 100K IIRC.

Well Future wasn't any where near as good to me, espicially the music which was pretty important in the first game at least to me.

yaazz

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2006, 01:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jun 5 2006, 04:34 PM) View Post

I thought JGR/JGRF were terrible games! couldnt see what the big fuss about them was