xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ? About Ds Cartridges  (Read 177 times)

southbark

• Archived User
? About Ds Cartridges
« on: November 30, 2004, 10:34:00 AM »

Ok i got my DS on the 26 with the new mario ds and i was curious as to what kind of cards they are using and how big the memory is?Yes i know the old GBA cartridges work i just was curious if the new ds ones were available  to buy on the market or if they are like the GC Disc  a thing that only nintendo has and makes

PresidentSparx

• Archived User
? About Ds Cartridges
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 05:24:00 PM »

The ds will use a proprietary(exclusive to the ds) flash memory cart. So far they've only made 128mb carts, but if they run out of room they can make larger(256mb) ones. You should be able to buy blank carts within the next couple months depending on how difficult the seurity is...If they find a good exploit, you might find blanks for sale much sooner.

tonloc79

• Archived User
? About Ds Cartridges
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 05:25:00 PM »

Nintendo states that maximum card capacity is more than one gigabit, or 128MB in size. beerchug.gif

handles25

• Archived User
? About Ds Cartridges
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 06:50:00 PM »

Yes.  Most work.

enderandrew

• Archived User
? About Ds Cartridges
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 06:57:00 PM »

Can you recommend a particular flashcart package that has been tested with the DS?

handles25

• Archived User
? About Ds Cartridges
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 08:36:00 PM »

http://www.gameboy-a..._flash_card.htm

You want one that has its own comm port on the card.  That way you dont need a GBA to transfer the files.

My card hooks through the comm port so I have to keep my GBA which kind of sucked for trade in reasons.

enderandrew

• Archived User
? About Ds Cartridges
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 09:39:00 PM »

Thanks for the link.

I did some looking on Froogle and saw some great prices on a EZ-Flash II Pro Star kit.  The 128 kit is $66 and the 256 kit is $99.

handles25

• Archived User
? About Ds Cartridges
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 10:14:00 PM »

Get a 512.  Some stuff is hard to fit on the 256(OS and game saves take space).  Nothing will go bigger then where they are at(I assume)and you want to be able to fit everything that would run on it normally.

Id be happier with a 512 but the 256 was bout 150ish when I got it.

enderandrew

• Archived User
? About Ds Cartridges
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 10:51:00 PM »

My girlfriend doesn't understand the extra $200 I just dropped in my XBox.  I'm probably going to spend $100 on a linker, and another $150 picking up the DS.  Then when I get my taxes back I want to build another PC.

We're supposed to be saving money for our wedding.

handles25

• Archived User
? About Ds Cartridges
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 12:08:00 AM »

I saw a 512 for less then $100.  I dont remember if it had comm port.  If you have a GBA this is moot.  I'll look into it.

*edit*

GBA flash cards kick ass.  Dont leave home without it.

enderandrew

• Archived User
? About Ds Cartridges
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2004, 01:30:00 AM »

I had a GBA, but lost it during a rather hasty move out of my ex-girlfriend's house.  I'm debating between buying a new SP or DS.

handles25

• Archived User
? About Ds Cartridges
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2004, 01:48:00 AM »

Get a DS.

Trust me.

XeroKitsune

• Archived User
? About Ds Cartridges
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2004, 02:46:00 PM »

QUOTE (enderandrew @ Dec 1 2004, 04:33 AM)
I'm debating between buying a new SP or DS.

It depends if you plan on using Gameboy(orginal) or Gameboy Color games, then you'll need a SP since the DS is not compadible with orginal GB and GBC games only GBA and DS games(strange decision in my opinion).
The DS is most intresting, but a bit larger(about the size of the orginal GBA and a bit thicker) and since the touch screen is subceptable to scratches(much like a PDA it may not be wise for families with younger children). But if your not planing on playing the old games it's a good game system with lots of potential.

southbark

• Archived User
? About Ds Cartridges
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2004, 08:20:00 PM »

My girlfriend doesn't understand the extra $200 I just dropped in my XBox. I'm probably going to spend $100 on a linker, and another $150 picking up the DS. Then when I get my taxes back I want to build another PC.

We're supposed to be saving money for our wedding.

Wow you got some tough decisions ahead of you buddy 15 mins of fun(When she feels like it) or hours of gaming bliss

I had a GBA, but lost it during a rather hasty move out of my ex-girlfriend's house. I'm debating between buying a new SP or DS.

I would choke her till she gives it back,But since ya do not want to go to prison i would suggest buying a used one i got an old GBA i never use you can have the only problem is that the battery door is loose make me an offer.That way you can own both for less then 200 bucks

d7onr8

• Archived User
? About Ds Cartridges
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2004, 10:26:00 PM »

According to gameboy-advance.net it says the old flash advance carts work (and they show a 256mb one).  Well I have the 128 mb Turbo version which looks just like the cart pictured just diff. size capacity obviously, and it does not work with mine or my friend's DS.  It will load with the Gameboy Advance logo and noise and will boot to the main title screen and then freeze and have high pitched garbled noise and such.  I've tried googling to see if other people have had this problem and at least 3 other people on other forums have verified this issue.  Now, these old carts use SRAM for saving and the newer games and newer flash carts use Flash or EEPROM.  Well I used all the obvious tools to change the SRAM to either Flash or EEPROM saving (littlewriter) and even enabled crash fix and it still wont help.  Tried all the custom seetting in LW and still no go.  But it will work in the DS if the game has no save function at all such as Mclaren's Pool (at least that's what I think its called).  BTW, the cart still works on my SP just fine.  Just some info for those that are interested.
Pages: [1] 2