xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Can A R4 Replace A Passcard 3/superkey  (Read 243 times)

throwingks

• Archived User
Can A R4 Replace A Passcard 3/superkey
« on: March 02, 2007, 10:56:00 AM »

R4 DS, M3 DS Simply, DS-Xtreme all have a passthru function.

You might need to use 3rd party software to boot the slot-2 card, but it will still work.

If compatible memory is a concern, the DS-X has memory built in (512 MB) so you dont need to worry about compatible memory for it at all.

jon_jon

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 11:31:00 PM »

If you already have a Supercard miniSD and don't want to spend too much money, you can get any of the cheaper passthrough cards like the Superkey, Passcard3, EZPass3, etc.  Your SC miniSD should allow you to play both DS and GBA games although the GBA compatibility is supposedly not that great.  Or you can flash your DS with Flashme and not even need a passthrough card.

If you have extra money to spend and want to get the R4, M3 Simply, you can play DS games from them and they also can function as passthough cards.  But then you will have to buy microSD cards for them.

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 07:26:00 AM »

Just so you know,
512MB holds up to ~12 games
You can also store music and/or movies so more space may be better for you.
NDS games in the future will be bigger. Nintendo is now allowing for it.

A MicroSD or MiniSD are both easy to transfer files from your PC, so for 512MB is plenty. I never play more than a couple games at the same time anyway.

However, you can get a 2GB MicroSD for under $20.
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=583049

jon_jon

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 04:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(cyclopsw @ Mar 3 2007, 09:24 AM) View Post

I was originally going to get a passcard but I found that an R4 only cost $5 more.  I just need to think hard now whether I should get a 512MB miniSD and a 2G microSD to utilize both the R4 and SC, or get a 2GB miniSD purely for the SC

Jandaman has the passthough cards for $15.  The R4 will cost you around $45 + shipping at most places unless you order it from China/HK, but then the shipping will cost $20+.  So it's really a decision only you can make.  Do you want to spend the extra $30 to get the R4.

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 02:45:00 PM »

i just bought the R4 and 2x 1GB kingston microsd.

i'll let you guys know in a few days what i think. for about £55 im happy so far.

EverestX

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »

I still don't get why all of you just don't reflash your DS so there is no need for slot 1 carts other than for sleep mode. It works great for me and with a super card lite compatibility is pretty close, so far the only game s I have noted to be incompatible are games that I wouldn't buy in the first place.  i understand there is  a need for the passme in the first place, but luckily I know someone that has one.

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 03:03:00 AM »

QUOTE(EverestX @ Mar 6 2007, 01:29 AM) View Post

I still don't get why all of you just don't reflash your DS so there is no need for slot 1 carts other than for sleep mode. It works great for me and with a super card lite compatibility is pretty close, so far the only game s I have noted to be incompatible are games that I wouldn't buy in the first place.  i understand there is  a need for the passme in the first place, but luckily I know someone that has one.

because i dont want to open my DS and this way is just easy.

You just say that because your poor laugh.gif

EverestX

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 06:24:00 AM »

QUOTE(grim_d @ Mar 6 2007, 04:10 AM) View Post

because i dont want to open my DS and this way is just easy.

You just say that because your poor laugh.gif

You only have to take the battery cover off  laugh.gif

And yes. it's true I am too poor to afford slot-1 solutions  huh.gif

Dano2k0

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 06:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(EverestX @ Mar 6 2007, 01:31 PM) View Post

You only have to take the battery cover off  laugh.gif

And yes. it's true I am too poor to afford slot-1 solutions  huh.gif

Yeah hes right, you only have to remove the battery cover, bridge a couple of points and let the flashing begin, very fast and very simple to do aswell.

Still though, for warranty sakes, i'd just use a passkey, if warranty doesn't bother you then i don't suppose it matters too much smile.gif

Cheers beerchug.gif

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 07:04:00 AM »

o right ok, i just watched the start of a video and saw him taking a triwing to his ds, then i just assumed..doh.

in any case i want to keep my ds stock. haha

and cheers again for that link dano, whats his shipping like?

Dano2k0

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 08:08:00 AM »

I have flashed a few DS's now, my fiancee too keeps hers stock using a passkey, and she has an M3 lite, its a good bit of kit.

No worries about the link mate, glad your happy with it.

His shipping is pretty damn quick, i think his cut off time is between 3-4PM for shipping the same day, after that goods are virtually always sent the next working day, depending on the delivery method you choose its all down to royal mail after that.

Special delivery is usually what i go for, costs a couple of quid extra but i always think its nice to get the stuff the very next day.

First class recorded etc is usually at your house the next day aswell, but it can take abit longer depending on Royal Snails speed, errr sorry i meant Royal Mail.

Its all down to the delivery method used, but at any rate, he ships pretty much straight away, ive deffinatly not got one bad word to say about the lad.

Cheers beerchug.gif

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 03:59:00 PM »

more than happy with the R4, would and have recommended it to a few people now. there nothing i can say that i havnt said before but this thing would have been cheap at twice the price.

love it.