xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: XBMC for Android announced!  (Read 1061 times)

marycontrary

• Archived User
XBMC for Android announced!
« on: January 01, 2013, 02:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(drkoolbeanz @ Jul 16 2012, 08:36 PM) View Post

Ouya is coming! I highly doubt this is a coincidence. People have been talking about XBMC on it since last week.

for those of you living in caves..

http://www.kickstart...eo-game-console

Open Pandora is in production and available now.

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 06:46:00 AM »

Posted by GaryOPA | July 16 08:46 EST | News Category: OffTopic

Source code now available, beta APKs coming soon! XBMC has announced its full-featured app for Android. 'Not a remote, not a thin client; the real deal. No root or jailbreak required'.

Pretty good news for owners of Android devices, that are also fans of the famous XBMC released on the original Xbox platform.

XBMC developers have revealed that they've created a version of their Media Center that runs on Android.

The Source Code is available for download right now, and APKs for BETA testers are promised "in the coming weeks".

"Not a remote, not a thin client; the real deal. No root or jailbreak required. XBMC can be launched as an application on your set-top-box, tablet, phone, or wherever else Android may be found. The feature-set on Android is the same that you have come to expect from XBMC, no different from its cousin on the desktop. Running your favorite media-center software on small, cheap, embedded hardware is about to become a hassle-free reality. And as Android-based set-top-boxes are becoming more and more ubiquitous, it couldn't be a better time.

...We will begin releasing apks for interested beta testers in the coming weeks. But for those who are up to the task, as you would expect from XBMC, the source code is available. We have decided not to push to Google Play until we are satisfied that users with all kinds of devices get the same great XBMC experience."

So, stay tuned.

Also, watch the app teaser trailer below!

Official Site: XBMC for Android (via) XBMC

News-Source: XBMC ported to Android (via) SlashDot

vv uk garf vv

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »

woot looking forward to this smile.gif

InsaneNutter

• Recovered User
    • Digiex
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 02:12:00 PM »

Its Amazing to think how many devices and platforms XBMC has been ported to since the Xbox. XBMC is a true example of what console hacking and home brew is all about.

I have uploaded a compiled APK for Android here: http://digiex.net/do....html#post59982

It works pretty well on my Galaxy Nexus and Asus Transformer Prime, however is not perfect at the moment.

guily666

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »

Nice, but I don't see what's the point of having it in an already very simple system that does everything and has around 500 thousand apps and already opens images\videos\sounds...

I't still waiting for a true natively coded XBMC for xbox 360 as a dash...
Keep Cool

drkoolbeanz

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »

Ouya is coming! I highly doubt this is a coincidence. People have been talking about XBMC on it since last week.

for those of you living in caves..

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/o...eo-game-console

This post has been edited by drkoolbeanz: Jul 17 2012, 03:38 AM

Skevus

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 01:00:00 AM »

Hope it will work with xtreamer prodigy since the hardware is decent but the software is really bad. Atleast it got Andriod why the XBMC could be a great substitute to their own media jukebox. However only time can tell. In the meantime I be waiting for a Apple TV 3 jailbreak so I can run XBMC without a HTPC.....

phunk

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »

Thanks for the compiled apk - much appreciated.
Gonna see how it runs on my S2 & tf300, and mrs phunk loves xbmc too, so shouldn't be a problem testing it on her One X. Happy days!

krazykraz

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 05:51:00 PM »

I have an apk i got from blapkmarket seems to run pretty good on my S2 Skyrocket... gonna try it on my Thrive tablet...

jm206

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 03:19:00 AM »

How is this even Xbox news?

XBMC mainline hasn't been Xbox related for years now.

hamwbone

• Recovered User
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 07:59:00 AM »

QUOTE(jm206 @ Jul 20 2012, 04:19 AM) View Post

How is this even Xbox news?

XBMC mainline hasn't been Xbox related for years now.

Can you can not see this was posted with the tag  (Category: OffTopic) in the Scenyx Entertainment Community > Off Topic Forums > Other Platforms > Android - All Devices >   forum?

Don't click the link if you don't want to read it.

jm206

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(hamwbone @ Jul 20 2012, 02:59 PM) *

Can you can not see this was posted with the tag  (Category: OffTopic) in the Scenyx Entertainment Community > Off Topic Forums > Other Platforms > Android - All Devices >   forum?

Don't click the link if you don't want to read it.

I clicked the link from the main site front page, not the forums. I was expecting maybe something relating to Android and XBMC on Xbox or 360 seeing as it was posted on the front page of an Xbox modding community site. You can't honestly expect me to think otherwise with news postings above and below it covering detailed hardware hacks for the 360.

I can see it was posted in off-topic now that you pointed it out, and you guys can run the site however you want, but it's unusual to post completely off-topic content on the front page.

This post has been edited by jm206: Jul 24 2012, 08:59 PM

garyopa

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(jm206 @ Jul 24 2012, 03:51 PM) View Post

I can see it was posted in off-topic now that you pointed it out, and you guys can run the site however you want, but it's unusual to post completely off-topic content on the front page.

Sorry for the confusing news post, I am in charge of the 'front page' now, as recently it was totally dead for many months as previous admins left for various personal reasons.

In the future I will make sure not to post completely off-topic content, I just thought since XBMC was so famous in the Xbox 1 days, that it would be a worthwhile subject.

In the meantime I will contiune to find good xbox 360 or xbox1 news and post it, and remember if anyone has an news tip, just email or pm and I will get it posted ASAP with thanks credit to the tipper.

hamwbone

• Recovered User
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 12:45:00 AM »

What ever goes on the page goes there.  At the title says "XBMC for Android announced!"

Right below the link to this it says -

"Spread News: PermaLink | Add us on: Twitter - Facebook - RSS
(Monday 16 July 2012 08:46 EST) - (Category: OffTopic) - (Posted by:: GaryOPA)

Any thing else will be XBOX 1 or XBOX 360 and hopefully XBOX 8 soon! or 720... or 1080... or 2013... what ever crappy name they think of.