xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Position Suggestion  (Read 941 times)

Mikesshunk

• Archived User
Position Suggestion
« on: January 21, 2009, 03:39:00 PM »

Well, I know I'm going to play football again next year (sophomore) but I am seriously thinking of changing positions. Last season I was and offensive and defensive tackle, but I'm not really built like a lineman. What would be the best position for someone who is skinny, slow, can't catch, can't throw and is moderately strong?
BTW, I'm 5'11" and 135-140 pounds and my 60 yard is about 9-10 seconds.

Alex548

• Recovered User
Position Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 11:27:00 PM »

Put on a little weight & become a Fullback beerchug.gif

. . . or learn how to kick field goals & punt.

Mikesshunk

• Archived User
Position Suggestion
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »

Wow. I didn't think anyone would ever post in this...
Well since then I've decided to be a tight end and stay at D-tackle as well. I've been lifting also since i posted this, so I've bulked up a little and have become ok at catching.
@ the suggestion of kicker/punter. I can't really do that since our school requires us to play both offense and defense. We have a very small team. We take our JV along to varsity games in full pads just to make it look like we have a decent sized team.

Alex548

• Recovered User
Position Suggestion
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »

I would have suggested TE earlier, but even they are required to catch the ball once in a while.
Unless your school runs something like the wing-T, a fullback won't be doing much route running smile.gif

By the way, you know the All-Pro linebacker Joey Porter?
He started as a running back in the Wing-T over here at FHS in Bakersfield.
He made the switch to Wide Receiver in College (Colorado State), then eventually Linebacker where he's done pretty damn well.

What I'm saying here is bulk up, and if you can't catch. . . learn to tackle smile.gif

Mikesshunk

• Archived User
Position Suggestion
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »

Yeah. Our school uses the tight end very little. We might have only had like one touchdown from our tight end this past season. And I'm not sure but I think our school does run the wing-t.

gopokes7

• Archived User
Position Suggestion
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 10:20:00 AM »

I would say bulk up and move inside somewhere if you don't have a lot of speed. Also if you are in the Wing T, unless you are a very good TE you won't get many touches. It would be better to be a FB. I know what you mean about small school. I am from OK and we only had 28 guys on our 4A team.

Mikesshunk

• Archived User
Position Suggestion
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »

Figure I may as well update this...
I quickly decided that I wasn't going to play TE after I learned I really can't catch and their was quite a few on the team last year. I then switched to guard but I didn't like all the stuff I had to memorize.  I then went to OT and stayed their for the season, although I never played a game at it, seeing as how our O line weighed an average of 270 lbs, and I only weighed 145. I also stuck with DT, which I got a good bit of time at.

Since then, I've gotten up to 165 and a hell of a lot stronger, mildly quicker. I'm probably going to stick with OT and DT this year. I still don't envision myself playing much, if any, O but I got a decent chance at D line this year. I'm more or less just planning to get up to 175 by season and see how that works for me.

By the way, we got to the first round of playoffs this year. Our halfback also broke the school rushing record. He's going to be playing next year as well along with another equally as good HB.

Any thoughts on the bulking up side of things?

hamwbone

• Recovered User
Position Suggestion
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 05:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(Mikesshunk @ Mar 20 2010, 03:11 PM) View Post

Any thoughts on the bulking up side of things?

Pizza and Mt. Dew did wonders for my weight.  sad.gif

Mikesshunk

• Archived User
Position Suggestion
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »

Never heard of that diet. Might try it. They are, after all, two of the best things in existence. I suppose if I wanted to be fat in a pinch though, I'd try some coconut milk. Not only is it delicious, it's terrible for you. I suppose if I wanted to be the biggest guy on the team, I could start drinking now. But being a fatass doesn't really get many ladies...

bigboys

• Archived User
Position Suggestion
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »

Yeah. Our school uses the tight end very little.