xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Bonds Hit 756 (now 757), Arod Hits 500  (Read 250 times)

killerbootsman

• Archived User
Bonds Hit 756 (now 757), Arod Hits 500
« on: August 09, 2007, 11:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(Spency234 @ Aug 9 2007, 05:44 AM) View Post
They had a pole on ESPN.com:

Who is the greatest home run hitter of all time?

Hank Aaron            36%
Barry Bonds           27%
Babe Ruth              37%

uhh.gif

I voted for Bonds.

Votes should be for Bonds, but of course, no one wants to vote for a cheater even if he is the greatest HR hitter of all time.

Like everyone else, I wouldn't mind seeing A Rod break the record in 7-8 years.

throwingks

• Archived User
Bonds Hit 756 (now 757), Arod Hits 500
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »

Of that list I would say Babe Ruth.

He hit more homeruns than all of baseball combined, at the time. He dominated in homeruns. Barry Bonds only does a little better than his peers. Ruth also had more homeruns/at bat.

There are many other names to consider when it comes to greatest homerun hitters. Hank Greenberg comes to mind, who missed 4 years of his prime because he was in WWII. His homerun/at bat ratio is also up there with the greats. I remember reading his was the best, but I cannot find any information on it anywhere. Wikipedia says he had 1 homerun per 9.6 at bats, in 1 season, but career-wise I cannot find any data, He also did this in the same era as Jackie Robinson. Hank Greenberg, being Jewish, faced many of the same problems as Jackie Robinson.

Josh Gibson is another contender. He was known as the Black Babe Ruth. He spent most of his time in the Negro Leagues, which many people contend was tougher than the all white MLB.