xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: The Cardinals Win The Pennant!  (Read 228 times)

C o s m o

• Archived User
The Cardinals Win The Pennant!
« on: October 19, 2006, 08:56:00 PM »

The Cardinals Win the Pennant!
Behind a MASTERPIECE pitching performance by Jeff Suppan, and a GREAT LCS by Yadier Molina, the Cards are going back to the World Series!
 beerchug.gif  beerchug.gif  beerchug.gif

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 09:30:00 PM »

So.......
4 games, a hearty slap on the back, and a "We'll get em nest year" are a week away.

Is it just me or does every national league team suck? I mean, as bad as the Cubs are, aren't they like 1 decent starting pitcher away from the playoffs? The only NL team I could see winning the series was the Mets. And that was WITH Pedro and WITH El Duque and WITH Duaner Sanchez. Everything else aside, when you are forced to start Jeff Weaver in game 2 of the NLCS your team has SERIOUS issues.

titaniumtwix

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 03:11:00 AM »

QUOTE(C o s m o @ Oct 19 2006, 10:03 PM) View Post

The Cardinals Win the Pennant!
Behind a MASTERPIECE pitching performance by Jeff Suppan, and a GREAT LCS by Yadier Molina, the Cards are going back to the World Series!
 beerchug.gif  beerchug.gif  beerchug.gif

bdaybiggrin.gif  beerchug.gif
 HELL YEAH Molina is a hitting beast but he foucuses on catching during the regular season

QUOTE(Rylinkus @ Oct 19 2006, 10:37 PM) View Post

So.......
4 games, a hearty slap on the back, and a "We'll get em nest year" are a week away.

Is it just me or does every national league team suck? I mean, as bad as the Cubs are, aren't they like 1 decent starting pitcher away from the playoffs? The only NL team I could see winning the series was the Mets. And that was WITH Pedro and WITH El Duque and WITH Duaner Sanchez. Everything else aside, when you are forced to start Jeff Weaver in game 2 of the NLCS your team has SERIOUS issues.

What a lot of people dont understand is that you dont have to when every game, just when it counts and thats exatly what the cards have done larussa is a great manger and i have full confidence in the cardinals wining the world series

C o s m o

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 06:27:00 AM »

Ry, you're like the 8th person from various places I've seen talk about a sweep.  Heck, even some on my own site have done it.  
I personally love it.  The more people talk about the Tigers bullying the redbirds, the more pressre that puts on DET.  Pretty much the exact same thing happend to the cards in '04.  They were HEAVY favorites.  Boston was everybody's sentimental favorite.  Boston came in with nothing to lose and they played like it.  I expect a similar effort from STL this year.

BCfosheezy

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 01:31:00 PM »

I've been a Carinals fan since the late 80's. I'd love for the Cards to win, but let's be realistic about everything. Yes, they have recently tasted defeat and since they are back in the series they will play beyond theirselves trying to get it. With that said, everything other than momentum and will to win are against them. Injuries, rest, recent performance, AL won All-star game. I mean EVERYTHING is against the Cards. They can do it, but it is just not likely. With that said, I don't think a sweep is in order. I thought the Mets were going to smoke the cards.

We also have to remember the long stretch of interleague play in the middle of the season and the cardinals first long losing streak. The AL dominated all national league teams. Rylinkus is correct. The AL is outclassing the NL right now.

With all that said, there is always a chance. Who wants to take wagers and what are the odds?

chorizo1

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 02:33:00 PM »

That was a good game. Love when they go all 7 games. I was going fir the Mets though  sad.gif

anyway i see the Tigers in 6 games, not a sweep.

Shoue

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 12:55:00 PM »

IPB Image

game 3 of the ALCS-left, and game 2 world series on the right

just brought up for the sake of discussion... he pitched great either way

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 01:36:00 PM »

I have never used pinetar. But, I can tell you that it does make a difference. You will get sharper bite on your pitches. I think I am in the minority when it comes to not putting a foreign substance on the ball. I just don't understand why he has it there though. Or why he has so much.

C o s m o

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 09:17:00 PM »

It's pine tar, no doubt.  
He's been accused of using it for years (I live in Texas...seen him pitch for a while now).
It's bullshit that Larussa didn't make a bigger deal of it because of his friendship with the Tigers MGR.
If he has it that clearly on his hand, where else does he have it?
(^ Not sour grapes, BTW.  Hell, it's only game 2)

BCfosheezy

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 07:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(throwingks @ Oct 23 2006, 02:43 PM) View Post
I have never used pinetar. But, I can tell you that it does make a difference. You will get sharper bite on your pitches. I think I am in the minority when it comes to not putting a foreign substance on the ball. I just don't understand why he has it there though. Or why he has so much.

When you squeeze the excess mud off of the ball when it is new you are also applying the tar to the seams without being noticed. Most guys I knew put it on the inside of their cap and would "dip into" it by appearing to lift their cap and brush their forehead. I'm not sure why he has so much. Less would be much less conspicuous. A different location might be less conspicuous other than the pitcher has to keep going and getting it. In your palm, you obviously do not have to reach for it.

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 08:23:00 AM »

Most pitchers put it on their glove. It hides well and your throwing hand has to go there anyway to grip your pitch.

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 07:24:00 AM »

Hey, Tigers, you guys need to take some PFP's.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 01:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(titaniumtwix @ Oct 20 2006, 10:18 AM) View Post

bdaybiggrin.gif  beerchug.gif
 HELL YEAH Molina is a hitting beast but he foucuses on catching during the regular season
What a lot of people dont understand is that you dont have to when every game, just when it counts and thats exatly what the cards have done larussa is a great manger and i have full confidence in the cardinals wining the world series

Lasrussa is not a genious. If he was he would have won more championships in Oakland with a much better team. I really don't think managers do that much. Maybe it's just my take, but all these supposed great managers only win when their players play well. So Suppan, Weaver, and Carpenter pitched amazing, hows that make Larussa a genius. Give credit to a GM that took Weaver in. I honestly didn't expect them to win. Pitching matters, and I dont think anyone honestly foresaw Weaver, Suppan, and Reyes pitching so superbly. But I always liked Weaver and Edmonds so it's great to see they won.

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 06:04:00 PM »

I know the Angels didn't expect Weaver to do so well. They had to pay him to leave, and his own brother filled his spot. Crazy, how his emotions must have been this year.