xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Anyone Know Crap About Racing  (Read 525 times)

kard63

• Archived User
Anyone Know Crap About Racing
« on: August 03, 2003, 11:41:00 AM »

I live in Indianapolis, home of the largest sporting event ever, and the largest every year.... the Indianapolis 500 of course. Yes, believe it or not that stadium in Brazil that holds 250,000 soccer fans and is widly regarded as huge really isn't shit. But I have lived here my entire life, and went to the 500 twice, and I was wondering what other people thought about it. Also, it is the 10th year for the NASCAR race here, the Brickyard 400. It outsells the Datona 500 now and everyone is drawing comparisons btween the two.  (INDY 500 and Brickyard 400 that is)

Consider:
the cars at the Indy 500 split into 2 leagues in 1994 and it has virtually ruined the sport
NASCAR over the past few years has become ENORMOUS and has better TV ratings than all sports but 1 other (don't know which)
I think there are more NASCAR races and I think more Americans so there is an actual chance to feel some bond, or at least have a favorite driver

So. That all favors NASCAR greatly, at least for some years to come. But there is no race in the world that is thought of as the Indianapolis 500, Right ?

p.s. I really think this is a bad question to ask you guys because you probably have no interest and/or think racing is kinda redneck like I do. But I need an out-of-state opinion.

P.P.S. How is this sport fun to attend or watch ?

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2003, 02:19:00 PM »

As an xbox scene REDNECK.. I can say the Brickyard is one of the better races during the season.  One of my goals.. is to someday make it to your city.. and be present for the most famous race on the planet.

NASCAR is where the scene is at these days.. CART and Formula one don't entertain anymore.

I try to watch all of the leagues.. all the time.. but I can only attend races in Toronto (Molson Indy)

WodMan

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2003, 02:42:00 PM »

But there is no race in the world that is thought of as the Indianapolis 500, Right ?

The Brickyard 400 does not compare to the Indy 500, however the Daytona 500 is without a doubt the most famous race in the world.  The IRL and CART are both over with, NASCAR's Cup series is where it is at today.

And with that said, may Kevin Harvick, Robbie Gordon, and everyone else at Richard Childress Racing rot in hell immediately.  grr.gif

Long Live Roush Racing!  Go 17 WooHoo!!  jester.gif

kard63

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2003, 07:01:00 AM »

QUOTE (WodMan @ Aug 3 2003, 05:42 PM)
But there is no race in the world that is thought of as the Indianapolis 500, Right ?

The Brickyard 400 does not compare to the Indy 500, however the Daytona 500 is without a doubt the most famous race in the world.  The IRL and CART are both over with, NASCAR's Cup series is where it is at today.

And with that said, may Kevin Harvick, Robbie Gordon, and everyone else at Richard Childress Racing rot in hell immediately.  grr.gif

Long Live Roush Racing!  Go 17 WooHoo!!  jester.gif

Hmm..... you seem to ignore size and history.  I don't think nascar DRIVERS would even make that statement, lol.  I admit.  Open wheel racing is completely down and out.  I think the 90 year old track still prevails tho.  Besides..... when have 450,000 people been at Datona, lol, that would be a joke unless they were sticked on top of each other.

TacoBalls

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2003, 07:04:00 AM »

I really don't want to get started on how ridiculous I think NASCAR is.  But hey, if "turning left and going fast" is your thing (with the occasional crash, made better by your case of keystone light) then more power to you.

RinGz

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2003, 11:00:00 AM »

good analysis of racing...