xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Supreme Court Rules Photo Id Req For Voting Ok.  (Read 140 times)

Reaper527

• Archived User
Supreme Court Rules Photo Id Req For Voting Ok.
« on: April 28, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »

well, it would seem that for once the supreme court did something right.

http://news.yahoo.co...scotus_voter_id

sections been a bit dead lately, figured i'd post this and see if it invigorates some discussion

by age 18 (minimum voting age), i think it is a reasonable expectation to think that everyone will have an id. the state has taken every possible angle to make this plan feasible. i support showing an id to vote.

Indiana provides IDs free of charge to people without driver's licenses. It also allows voters who lack photo ID's to cast a provisional ballot and then show up within 10 days at their county courthouse to produce identification or otherwise attest to their identity.

if someone isn't willing to go get a free id, i don't think they can complain about being left out of the voting process. i think all states should adopt this policy. (although i'm not going to hold my breath on my home state of massachusetts)

damam

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »

this was the biggest no brainer.  i cant believe its even up for debate.  i would love to see california and chicago adopt this in particular.  I can practically hear the screams of voter disenfranchisement right now.

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 12:20:00 AM »

QUOTE(damam @ Jun 13 2008, 06:41 PM) View Post

this was the biggest no brainer.  i cant believe its even up for debate.  i would love to see california and chicago adopt this in particular.  I can practically hear the screams of voter disenfranchisement right now.

i can hear it too. "but if we require an id in california, the mexican illegal immigrants can't vote for obama, we can't disenfranchise the foreign vote!?!!!11!!"

damam

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »

i believe you are forgetting about the "recently deceased" vote as well.  How can we disenfranchise them as well?