xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17

Author Topic: Raid casualty comes forward to tell his story  (Read 2165 times)

Mr Invader

• Archived User
Raid casualty comes forward to tell his story
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2007, 11:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(II BJ II @ Aug 3 2007, 12:13 AM) *

Wow this guy is really dumb.  He's acting like he's the victim (his gf said their taking you away from me) just shows he needs to be put in jail. "They" are not doing this too you..you did this too yourself.. installing mod chips and selling is clearly illegal.  Like he said he didn't do this on the side for a lil money.. he lived off it. This was his only job making profit the illegal way.

its not illegal if i put a new processor or install and new program in my computer. Why should it be for consoles.

QUOTE(BoNg420 @ Aug 3 2007, 12:15 AM) *

Most likely just trying to set an example.

I figured that too. Hopefully alot of people will hear Fallsinc's story and do something about it, whether they form petitions or be more careful when modifying consoles.

This post has been edited by Mr Invader: Aug 3 2007, 06:32 AM

SpankIt

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(II BJ II @ Aug 2 2007, 11:13 PM) *

Wow this guy is really dumb.  He's acting like he's the victim (his gf said their taking you away from me) just shows he needs to be put in jail. "They" are not doing this too you..you did this too yourself.. installing mod chips and selling is clearly illegal.  Like he said he didn't do this on the side for a lil money.. he lived off it. This was his only job making profit the illegal way.

Do you fail to see how your government has found ways to attack their citizens? Yes it is illegal however keep in mind that MP3 player (because it allows you to play copyrighted materials. Your computer because it can rip mp3's. Your dvd/cd burner even. This law is fucked. As it turns out this law almost makes it illegal to live nowadays. Just depends how far they want to take it. Its designed to be very vague so they can do what they want with it. Get the facts before you make a stupid comment like that.

This post has been edited by SpankIt: Aug 3 2007, 06:35 AM

appleguru

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »

FallsInc, and everyone else that was hit by the raids, I wish you all the best of luck in the future... We're all going to need it.

Here's to hoping we can get people to stand up for what they believe in. I know I certainly don't have the courage to do it myself, but the DMCA, as it stands, is a terrible, terrible law. It stifles creativity, prevent real competition, and makes things that have no right being illegal a federal offense. I never thought I'd see the day where the law was (ab)used against installers and chip sellers that had no hand in piracy. Clearly I was wrong.

The fact that we're wasting taxpayer's money and that we diverted hundreds of personnel whose job it is to protect our borders away from their jobs to go after people like us is sickening.

The money is meaningless to me; as a college student what the ICE seized from my house was well over half of everything to my name... But in the end it's just money. I did what I did as a hobby; I modded consoles because I enjoyed it; I've always been addicted to taking things apart and putting them back together and modding was my 'fix'. Alas, no more. Nintendo, the ESA, and anyone else that had a hand in this... Thanks for ruining one of the true pleasures I had in life.

Regarding the absolutely insane "estimated losses" and other FUD being spread around the media, all i can say is that anyone that actually believes those figures to be more than 5% accurate is an idiot.

Using myself as an example, I'll try and illustrate my point:

When I was younger (and at 19, that really wasn't that long ago) the first gaming system I ever owned was a gameboy. My mom bought it for me as a birthday gift, much to the dismay of my dad, and after a big fight and returning one, I was finally allowed to keep it. I played Super Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon.. and that was about it. A few years later, my mom bought my brother and me an N64 for Christmas. My dad wouldn't let us keep it, so it ended up going to my cousins... My aunt, who felt bad, ended up buying us a Playstation (1). My favorites for those two systems were Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, 007 Goldeneye, Wave Race 64, Twisted Metal, and a few others. But after a while, the systems' appeal wore off and I stopped playing them.

My cousins had both a Dreamcast, and a Playstation 2, neither of which were too appealing to me... and as such I never had much desire to buy a next generation system.

A few years later, we decided to setup a home theater in my basement. I was looking for a way that I could stream my music, movies, and photos from my desktop PC to my TV screen in the basement. After looking at all sorts of things ranging from an HTPC to just hooking my laptop up to the screen, I found out about Xbox Media Center from a friend that lives in Australia.

After doing some research, I decided that buying and modding my xbox to run linux and xbox media center was the perfect solution; at less than $300 it was the cheapest of everything I had looked at, and its featureset was impressive. So I bit the bullet, bought an xbox, and modded it. Microsoft literally got a new customer because of the modding potential of the system they sold.

XBMC was a dream to use; easily one of the best pieces of software I've seen on any system, let alone a game console. And I loved the fact that it had active community support and that updates were released all the time. Then one day at school, I overheard a few friends talking about halo. At the time, I had no idea what halo was; I figured it was some geek game that nerds played 24 hours a day eliminating any social life they might have otherwise had. And I was right about one thing... The next day, I went out an bought a copy and started to play single player. I was hooked from the start, and for a few weeks I spent the majority of my days neglecting homework, friends and family to play halo. I started playing it over XBConnect to friends across the country, and became even more hooked.

I bought a few more games, including Amped 2, Need For Speed Underground, and a couple of others... And then Halo 2 came out. With advent of Halo 2, I decided to try out Xbox Live. Needless to say, the Halo 2 online experience blew me away and I bought a subscription. Actually, I bought two (one for me, one for my brother), along with 4 copies of Halo 2. My brother and I played on live together, we had LAN parties, we did it all.. and it was a blast.

And then the 360 came along. Naturally, I had to buy one, if only to say I had the latest and greatest. Microsoft had me hooked on their franchise. The launch titles were a bit disappointing; COD2, PD0, PGR3.. all fun, but nothing too spectacular.

I bought a few more games for the 360, hoping to find something I enjoyed... Including, but not limited to: Oblivion, Need For Speed Carbon, GOW, COD3, Amped 3, Crackdown (Mainly for the halo 3 online beta), GRAW, and a couple of others. I bought multiple wireless controllers, a wireless mic, a camera, and a couple of faceplates too.... Microsoft has literally made thousands and thousands of dollars off of me... someone who, had it not been for the modding potential of the xbox, they would never have seen a penny from.

And now of course, they'll never make another cent off me again. With all of my consoles and original games being confiscated I'm in no position to be buying any more games or playing video games at all...

While my situation is likely not the norm, the fact that they go around touting these made up numbers off "losses" from potential game sales is ridiculous. I'd put money on it that in almost 95% of the cases of piracy the pirate would never have been a paying consumer anyways (at least not at the prices being charged). And don't get me wrong; I'm strongly against piracy... but going after individuals that sell modchips that have many MANY legitimate uses is NOT the solution.

This post has been edited by appleguru: Aug 3 2007, 06:38 AM

Method2kh

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »

Damn... I'm real sorry that happened to you man.. I don't care how illegal it was, it's screwed up that they targeted you instead of the big companies or major sellers.. My deepest regards to you and your wife.. For all the ppl who are talking shit about FallsInc, and don't know him at all, you can go f*ck off. If you ever talked with him, you will know that he's one of the nicest guys around, regardless of what he did. Once again, I'm really sorry man. sad.gif

appleguru

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2007, 11:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(II BJ II @ Aug 3 2007, 01:13 AM) *

He IS a victim. "THEY" ARE the ones responsible for doing this to him. And first and foremost, you're incredibly narrow-minded if you truly believe that all laws are 'right'. Sometimes laws are just plain wrong, and I couldn't think of a more perfect example than the DMCA. When a law is wrong, it is up to the people to change it. Under our current administration, who are strong supporters of big business, it's never going to happen. Hopefully our future will be a bit brighter. While I love this country and the values for which it was founded, I can't help but think that every day we stray further and further away from them.

The DMCA is a law which should not exist. It should NOT be illegal to make, sell, install, or buy modchips. We need to adopt laws like Australia's on this matter, which actually MAKE SENSE! They make modchips legal, but piracy illegal, which is the way it should be! The fact that it is not is only a further testament to the idiocy of the law. And honestly, when the author of the law himself, Bruce Lehman, admits that it was a miserable failure and is not being used as it was intended, it's time to repeal it: http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/1826/125/

This post has been edited by appleguru: Aug 3 2007, 06:49 AM

Master Reefed

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2007, 11:49:00 PM »

Fallsinc and the rest of you... put up a simple donation link...

Microsoft Beats $51 Billion Annual Revenue, Setting Record

http://www.informationweek.com/windows/sho...cleID=201200065

maybe Micrsoft wont have to lay off any american workers, now that we got those crooked ol mod chip installers.  .............     O yea, most their employees are outsourced anyway.

Its ok for us to pay 100.00$ for a tank of gasoline though, while oil companies year after year break record profits.
but no,no,no you cant make a "backup" copy of your game(60$)/movie(30-75$)/music cd(12-30),or we are confiscating EVERYTHING!

Its unbelievable where this country is headed.   (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

This post has been edited by Master Reefed: Aug 3 2007, 06:54 AM

ecucraw

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2007, 11:55:00 PM »

this just all seems a little rediculous.  the u.s government is rediculous.  someone go ask president bush what modding is and I'm sure all he'll be able to say is "HUH?"  bring me another taco.

|GateKeeper|

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »

FallsInc i use to run a website that i stared with my bestfriend GotMod.com i don't know if you remmber any way if you need any help with bills .. contact me email and i do the best in my power to help you
sorry for what happen to you ..

[email protected]

BillMan

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2007, 12:05:00 AM »

I just want you to know to further not post any information online about anything, and when you talked to the cops.  Tell your attorney you felt threatned by teh way they just came in your aprents house and not nocked first.  That you thoght their life, and yourse was in danger.  That could get everything you released and said to the police dismissed from court.  As long as it was a life threaning act to you.  Which to me it would of been.  I mean, so many people fake who they are now a days and I wouldn't imagine the police to just come in and raid without nocking first over modding.

Second of all, make sure to bring up to the judge that in the E3 confrence, microsoft was using Xbox Media Center as well.   As you could hear some of the stuff from it in the backround before they forgot to turn down the volume.

So Microsoft is even using Pirated Consoles.

Just an idea.  And their is proof of that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)           So Stick it to Microsoft while your at it.

Also, get a donation link up.

I'm not an attorney, but I know how to get around situations like this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

But since you did coperate, They will probably give you a deffered sentence.  You can whith no harm post up your charges and plea bargin.  but let your attorney justify this sitaiton for you.

This post has been edited by BillMan: Aug 3 2007, 07:07 AM

|GateKeeper|

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2007, 12:05:00 AM »

PS :  I have kid on the way my self and getting marry this Sat  I know how hard it is to be away from your Family .

SickB0y

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2007, 12:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(blame canada @ Aug 3 2007, 05:08 AM) *

It sucks that the second those assholes see a soldering iron hit pcb, they automatically think piracy and fuck up someones life like that...

Fucking government, they could not give a shit about us little people (not physically) here while they go sip fucking whatever they drink, sitting back watching oil hit records laughing as they make billion $ profits, dropping trillions on wars that don't accomplish shit (also while attempting to cover up a good althete and soldiers death), turning a blind eye to millions of illegals getting jobs us hard working citizens strive for, and at the end of the day, they can sleep easy over it.... It just doesn't make sense B (IMG:style_emoticons/default/uhh.gif)

I feel for ya Inc and I hope everything works out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleep.gif)

Picking vegetables and washing dishes is something you strive for?? man you serious need to raise your standards buddy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Thanks for sharing FallsInc is amazing how far the government will go to screw the little guy.

This post has been edited by SickB0y: Aug 3 2007, 07:10 AM

belke

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2007, 11:39:00 PM »

I have to ask, where the people raiding your house full geared SWAT members, or just your everyday police. I always imagined it would be full SWAT. As for them not allowing you to see your girlfriend?..that doesn't sound constitutional smile.gif

XeKToReX

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2007, 12:28:00 AM »

Good luck mate! Hope everything works out for you, shit happens man, call some law firms and ask advice, its free, make a stand, or give in, either way, X-S is proud of ya for keeping your head up in a really bad situation, amazing how the US government reacts to little things like that, but we'll let soldiers die for a dumb country that we should just let kill itself off.

As i said, good luck mate!

All the best from AussieLand!

XeKToReX

krawhitham

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2007, 12:44:00 AM »

You gave them your stuff without a warrant, how dumb can one be

They will not go easy on you because of that fact and now they have more proof

I've been down that road before and let me tell you, you're screwed

They might have had problems ever getting a warrant for a not family member, you should have never let them in and then destroyed the evidence

FallsInc

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2007, 12:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(majik655 @ Aug 2 2007, 11:34 PM) View Post
1.  Why can you not see your girlfriend or baby?  You are not being held are you?   What right do they have to stop you from your girlfriend and baby??   (bastards)

If there are places for donations to be sent.. put up the info maybe some help will come your way.

her mom, lol

I guess just pm me if you wanna donate. i don't wanna have this turn into a huge donations thread.

QUOTE(---=Snyper=--- @ Aug 2 2007, 11:53 PM) View Post

FallsInc, you might already been told or know this.. but be careful what you say online right now.

i know. i already took care of the undercover that got me, and i know that others are watching.

QUOTE(belke @ Aug 3 2007, 01:15 AM) View Post

I have to ask, where the people raiding your house full geared SWAT members, or just your everyday police. I always imagined it would be full SWAT. As for them not allowing you to see your girlfriend?..that doesn't sound constitutional smile.gif

just guys in vests was all. and local PD for backup.

QUOTE(krawhitham @ Aug 3 2007, 01:44 AM) View Post

You gave them your stuff without a warrant, how dumb can one be

They will not go easy on you because of that fact and now they have more proof
I've been down that road before and let me tell you, you're screwed
They might have had problems ever getting a warrant for a not family member, you should have never let them in and then destroyed the evidence

they have little if any sort of proof against me. it will be a long time before soldering becomes illegal

i could have not co-operated, but they already were at my house and picked through everything i had, so i figured i'd do myself a favor, and comply
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17