xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Microsoft, ESA and Nintendo Press Release on U.S. 'ModChip' Raids  (Read 737 times)

Textbook

• Archived User
Microsoft, ESA and Nintendo Press Release on U.S. 'ModChip' Raids
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(794 @ Aug 2 2007, 12:19 AM) View Post

well said...i love my xbmc and do agree that piracy is bad so the wii and 360 chips obviously have no other current use than piracy, unlike the xbox chips that can be used for linux or homebrew...

i hope that most that will be charged in this raid were actually participating in illegal activity like selling pirated software - that makes me mad that someone would blatantly (and directly) profit off stealing someone else's work.  i have a feeling though, that some who technically weren't doing illegal things will just get tossed in the mix and suffer with the others...

The Xbox 360 modchip (or firmware flash) is the best way to run Linux on the system right now, so there is a legal use for it right there.

Same for the Wii chips, since it allows you to run Gamecube homebrew on the system.

majik655

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2007, 10:03:00 PM »

all I see and read in this article is   "blah blah bla bla blah"   (whatever)

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »

i dont see how nintendo can say anything. Getting in trouble for selling wii chips for piracy is like getting charged with breaking and entering on a house with the door standing wide open. You need security to make it illegal to break it.

xlordx

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »

This is  ludacris oh no im a criminal i bought a computer chip lol yea right why don't these companies grow up and mind there own business and stay out of adults business.-xlordx jester.gif

gg22mm

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »

So every video game retailer sales memory cards. Since those are chips that can be used to "illegaly circumvent copy protection" (if there's a way to circunvent copy protection legally, please let me know dry.gif ) on the Xbox, aren't them all technically criminals? I demand real justice!

Going just after these particular retailers isn't some sort of discrimination?  mad.gif  I think they should have some sort of defense on their cases based on that simple fact...

Oh and I think that press release writers are retarded and underestimate readers too much...

omega2468

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »

So are they going after the just the sellers or the buyers too?

Gman22

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2007, 10:55:00 PM »

Personally, what has always pissed me off about these companies is that they claim they lost $xxx million in sales due to piracy.  The fact remains though, none of the people who pirated your games/software even thought about buying it legally.  They should be glad that people are actually using their software and telling other people how great it is...word of mouth, best form of advertising...

</rant>

Gman22

Sgt_Yates

• Recovered User
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2007, 11:03:00 PM »

These raids do make me sick. Now if they are nailing people for selling copies of games, that is one thing. But having the ability to unlock new worlds on your console is not illegal. Look at XBMC for crying out loud. Before softmod was so readily available (and safe), there was no way to do it without a chip. Some still prefer a chip. Not all software manufacturers have a disc replacement program in place either. So playing a copy in your home, on your system should not be illegal. All the chip does is allow access to these things. The chip itself should not be illegal. Its not like we can play on LIVE with a chip anyhow. Not sure how PS2 works.

Dude, the gaming industry just wants more money money money. They are already pushing towards beating out the movie industry, but those profits are not enough for them. It is like Wal-Mart, always looking for a way to make even more pennies on the dollar.

They treat these chip retailers like drug trafficers (sp?). It is our console. We should be able to adjust or modify them in the method of our choosing. They already have the online checks and balances in place, so why are they so concerned with what we are doing while offline. Just let us sell and use our chips in peace please!

Sorry for any legit retailers busted in that raid... uhh.gif

This post has been edited by Sgt_Yates: Aug 2 2007, 06:03 AM

metalgear1

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »

I thought it was Against the law to sell the chips PRE flashed?
any mod chip I have ever got was blank, I had to find and then load the proper "software" for it run right, without this it's just a useless chip and so how could I be held accountable for what others do to it?
Am I wrong here did I miss something?

miggidy

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2007, 12:02:00 AM »

Wow Nintendo and their small man complex.

When I first heard the news, I knew Nintendo had a hand in the raids.
They are pittbulls when it comes to piracy.
It's funny how laid back M$'s statement was in contrast to Nintendo's. And $ony didn't even bother releasing a statement laugh.gif

Good luck Nintendo!
You've decided to decapitate the beast from the get go.
Some how I get the feeling that this will back fire on the house that built the Wii.
By no means does this mean that mod chip use is illegal, this is just a start of a long legal battle.

I think it's funny how Nintendo continues to ignore Southeast Asia, the cradle of piracy.
Is it because Nintendo understands that piracy actually brings in $'s in those nations? wink.gif

This post has been edited by miggidy: Aug 2 2007, 07:03 AM

macwest

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2007, 12:23:00 AM »

Leave it to our goverment and I want to know who pissed on nintendos cheerios.

just a thought..if enough of us stop buying games, systems and accesories for 1 month it may effect their pocket books enought where the companies might just think twice before upsetting their base buyers again.

Slag Bag

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2007, 02:51:00 AM »

come on you guys are so full of shit. Homebrew stuff my ass, you really want to play homebrew use your PC. There is only 1 reason and 1 only for using mod chips. Get off your high horses and quit worrying if you are next. The people selling them are very aware of the risk, so are those that buy and use them. You all sound like the perverts on Dateline claiming they weren't really going to do anything with the teenager.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2007, 03:07:00 AM »

depressing or what, seems now they have moved on from Bit Torrent to Mod Chip sellers.

Fair enough if they are blatant pirates that is a no, no. But selling mod chips is nothing wrong with that.

Twister22

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2007, 04:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(Slag Bag @ Aug 2 2007, 11:27 AM) View Post

come on you guys are so full of shit. Homebrew stuff my ass, you really want to play homebrew use your PC. There is only 1 reason and 1 only for using mod chips. Get off your high horses and quit worrying if you are next. The people selling them are very aware of the risk, so are those that buy and use them. You all sound like the perverts on Dateline claiming they weren't really going to do anything with the teenager.

Shut you pie-hole, i have been running XBMC/XBMP on my xbox for 4-5years now. it´s boots right to it.
I even have one in my bedroom to, I havent played a singel game on it sine i descovered XBMP

metalgear1

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2007, 05:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(Slag Bag @ Aug 2 2007, 04:27 AM) View Post

speak for yourself you douche, the only thing in your ridiculous post that has any shred of FACT is perhaps that YOU mod your stuff for 1 reason and one reason only,
I have 3Xboxes, all 3 modded and all 3 running XBMC
they are my media servers used to stream Music, movies,Pictures to the 3 TV sets I have at home,
NONE of my Xboxes have EVER even played a single game, it was literally open the box, install mod chip and XBMC and plug into TV

or you to come up in here all high and mighty, and TRY to paint ALL Modders with the same brush is just retarded,
so please STFU, and go be a Douche somewhere else
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5