xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Federal Agents Go After Gaming Pirates: Several US Modchip Stores Raid  (Read 981 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User

Federal Agents Go After Gaming Pirates: Several US Modchip Stores Raided
Posted by XanTium | August 1 17:57 EST | News Category: Xbox_Xbox360

From news.yahoo.com:

Federal customs agents Wednesday raided more than 30 businesses and homes in 16 states, looking for devices that allow pirated video games to play on Wiis, PlayStation 2s and Xboxes.
The alleged sale and distribution of illegal modification chips and copyright circumvention devices for the popular consoles and others included 32 search warrants in 16 states, said the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
ICE declined to release the names of those targeted but said they are allegedly responsible for importing, installing, selling and distributing foreign-made devices smuggled into the U.S.

Illegal chips and other devices used on gaming consoles violate the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998. Sales of counterfeit or illegally obtained games costs the industry about $3 billion a year globally, not including Internet piracy, estimates the Entertainment Software Association trade group.

Redmond, Wash.-based Microsoft Corp. issued a statement applauding ICE's efforts to reduce piracy and protect the gaming industry's intellectual property. A company spokeswoman would not divulge Microsoft's individual piracy losses.

The raids were conducted in: California, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas and Wisconsin.

We have strong indications that several big US modchip resellers were hit by the raid, but we don't have exact details yet.
Full Story: news.yahoo.com

Worseley

• Archived User
Federal Agents Go After Gaming Pirates: Several US Modchip Stores Raid
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »

Wow I'm glad I got my stuff last week, wonder how much this will effect everything in the short term or for those waiting on orders.

crosseye

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »

Illinois? Isn't modchipman in Illinois? If it's not that one, it's another, but I know one of them is based out of Illinois. The DMCA is way too broad. Things that allow homebrew should be fair use. It's not the sellers fault if those that purchase the items want to commit crimes. Don't punish everyone for the few.

Allen626

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »

I thought it was legal to sell modchips as long as there was not hacked copyrighted code on it?

handles25

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 04:17:00 PM »

Oh dear.  I placed and order with real hot stuff today.  I wonder if I will ever get it.  My timing a luck with all these kind of things has been impeccable, looks like I might have finally got the short end of the stick.

This post has been edited by handles25: Aug 1 2007, 11:18 PM

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »

I hope AppleGuru is ok I'm sure he sells stuff in America as well.

It's Legal to sell Xbox 1 mod chips if they have cromwell linux bootloader on them.

So you can't play backups then so I hate people that immediately think mod chips cause the industry to lose money. They don't, they allow homebrew, something which corporations don't allow fully then we wouldn't need mod chips.

This post has been edited by bucko: Aug 1 2007, 11:21 PM

Loy

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »

i hear Otbmods and mcm

handles25

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 03:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Aug 1 2007, 11:19 PM) View Post

I hope AppleGuru is ok I'm sure he sells stuff in America as well.

It's Legal to sell Xbox 1 mod chips if they have cromwell linux bootloader on them.

So you can't play backups then so I hate people that immediately think mod chips cause the industry to lose money. They don't, they allow homebrew, something which corporations don't allow fully then we wouldn't need mod chips.

Man I think the first batch of chips I got years and years ago had cromwell.  After that every batch I got had more shady bios's on them.  Mind you I'm sure they never expected this.

snart

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(Allen626 @ Aug 1 2007, 10:14 PM) View Post

I thought it was legal to sell modchips as long as there was not hacked copyrighted code on it?

Almost. It's illegal to sell any item that circumvents copy protection.

handles25

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(Loy @ Aug 1 2007, 11:23 PM) View Post

i hear Otbmods and mcm

Otbmods for sure I would say.  Try to visit the page.

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 03:50:00 PM »

wow, this could be really really bad news...numerous stores sell and ship out of US sites and there were raids in numerous states...dang this may not be good at all...

QUOTE(bucko @ Aug 1 2007, 05:19 PM) View Post

exactly, which frustrates me since those chips and not illegal and should not be permanently confiscated in the raid but we all know that the authorities do not understand technology in the first place and would not know what is really illegal or not...

Loy

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 04:27:00 PM »

Well Mcm sure did

greenday54261

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »

OTBmods is down... "closed until further notice". sad.gif I'd say they got hit.

This REALLY does not bode well... and to think I was about to get back into Xbox1 modding. Could be a while now.

derailed

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 04:02:00 PM »

www.spammed site on XS.com - Closed

Werks

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »

They were looking for Imported stuff from China And Canada And any kind of chip of course. They took every console that did not have a warrenty sticker on it. I also repair many game consoles for DVD drive problems and the 3ROL issues they took those also. They say they were looking for the big fish I hope I am not one of them. In my eyes I am not a bi fish but this is the govenment people they can do any thing they wish. I did not get arrested but they said they would be back Like the terminator.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7