xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Court Case a Warning to Pirates  (Read 663 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Court Case a Warning to Pirates
« on: May 02, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | May 2 17:24 EST | News Category: GamingGeneral

From next-gen.biz:

In August 2006, the 40 year old was sentenced to 18 months imprisonment at Bristol Crown Court for his involvement in the largest counterfeiting case that South Gloucestershire Trading Standards had ever prosecuted. Hunter, who ran an illegal copying operation from home, had pleaded guilty to a total of 17 offences relating to the selling, possession and production of illegally copied computer and video games.

Mr Hunter's home address was then raided by South Gloucestershire Trading Standards, ELSPA (Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers Association) representatives and officers from Avon and Somerset Police. They found computer hardware capable of creating pirated discs on a commercial scale, packaging equipment, and copied games and business software products with a retail value exceeding £58,000.

The subsequent investigation revealed that Hunter had established an operation that could produce up to 16 pirated games at a time, and it was deemed that his lifestyle had been wholly subsidized by his illegal activities which were estimated to have earned him approximately £74,500.

Hunter was ordered to sell his house to satisfy the confiscation order of £46,000, which must be paid off in three months. If Hunter were to default the order he would be sentenced to a further 16 months imprisonment with the money still to be paid.

Full Story: next-gen.biz

bigmac_375

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 03:25:00 PM »

this, boys and girls, is the reason not to sell copyrighted disks.

Darkjasper

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »

Yup, don't sell your "acquired" goods.

Blackbolt

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 03:36:00 PM »

Indeed. He got everything he deserves.

Makes me sick the way people make money of it.

47_M450N_47

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 03:52:00 PM »

I just think it's funny that software pirates often get harsher sentences than friggin drug dealers.  Yeah, don't copy stuff and sell it, it's illegal, but seriously, if they are gonna take selling pirated stuff this seriously, then why don't they crack down on the drug dealing?  Everybody around where I live knows where to freaking get any kind of drug you want, it's definitely a more prominent and profitable business than selling pirated stuff, but it's rare that anyone gets caught for dealing illegal narcotics, which should be a much bigger concern than a few copyright violations, I mean there are human lives at stake here.</rant>

Master Reefed

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »

If this guys were dealing drugs, he would be behind bars.
Instead, they took away everything he had and he has to start over.

"an operation that could produce up to 16 pirated games at a time"... wow! sounds to me kinda like when someone gets caught growin weed and they weigh the roots, and the dirt before they tally it all up,... exagerating it  lol

jimbobjim

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 03:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(Master Reefed @ May 2 2007, 11:05 PM) View Post

If this guys were dealing drugs, he would be behind bars.
Instead, they took away everything he had and he has to start over.

Did you even read the article? He was given 18 months behind bars and will recieve a further 16 if he can't come up wth the fine money.

Basically the guy has lost his home and has aquired a hefty prison sentence for his trouble. I know what he did was wrong but this is a bit harsh. As someone said earlier, drug dealers get less. Looks like they are making an exmple of him to deter others.

cowsn

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 03:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(47_M450N_47 @ May 2 2007, 10:52 PM) View Post

I just think it's funny that software pirates often get harsher sentences than friggin drug dealers.  Yeah, don't copy stuff and sell it, it's illegal, but seriously, if they are gonna take selling pirated stuff this seriously, then why don't they crack down on the drug dealing?  Everybody around where I live knows where to freaking get any kind of drug you want, it's definitely a more prominent and profitable business than selling pirated stuff, but it's rare that anyone gets caught for dealing illegal narcotics, which should be a much bigger concern than a few copyright violations, I mean there are human lives at stake here.</rant>

thats cause the gov't knows drugs are good and people shouldnt be punished for using them.

jxoxn21

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 04:42:00 PM »

"thats cause the gov't knows drugs are good and people shouldnt be punished for using them."

HELL. YEAH. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/muhaha.gif) marijuana is a plant and will probably (not shockingly) become legal and widely available like alcohol. Only marijuana is much less severe than alcohol.

This post has been edited by jxoxn21: May 2 2007, 11:44 PM

jimbobjim

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 04:15:00 PM »

Drugs are bad... M'KAY!!  IPB Image

mlapaglia

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(jxoxn21 @ May 2 2007, 06:42 PM) *

"thats cause the gov't knows drugs are good and people shouldnt be punished for using them."

HELL. YEAH. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/muhaha.gif) marijuana is a plant and will probably (not shockingly) become legal and widely available like alcohol. Only marijuana is much less severe than alcohol.

cocaine comes from a plant haha.

This post has been edited by mlapaglia: May 2 2007, 11:56 PM

89c4l98

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 04:27:00 PM »

ZZZZZZZ..... sleeping.gif

Steve-0

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »

it's cause the gov have probably got some involvement with the drugs scene, you honestly think that some random person was walking past a plant and thought "hmmmm i wonder what would happen if i extracted the resin from this add some more chemicals and smoke it" there is more chance of playing GOW on your game boy.

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 05:34:00 PM »

i can list many other crimes that get less. fine me and send me to jail yea good luck on ever getting any money. relly its dumb by tme he gets out hes going to have knothing and whont be able to get any decent job he woulda had to sell his place anyways couse its hard to pay bills when your in jail for 18 months. they send you to jail for anything these days anyways then wonder why there so friggen overloaded.

This post has been edited by luther349: May 3 2007, 12:37 AM

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »

You've gotta be pretty stupid if you resort to selling pirated games to make money......
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5