xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Hate Bees? This Will Give You A New Found Appreciation.  (Read 161 times)

xboxbox451

• Archived User
Hate Bees? This Will Give You A New Found Appreciation.
« on: April 23, 2007, 06:30:00 PM »

Sun spots, mites, pesticides, cell phones, fungus...

The debate is carrying on as to why Honeybees are disappearing at an alarming rate in the USA.

I hate to sound like an alarmist, though this certainly has farmers worried, who are partially dependent on Bees for crop pollination. Hopefully this is just a temporary phenomenon.

QUOTE(NY Times 2.23.07)
David Bradshaw has endured countless stings during his life as a beekeeper, but he got the shock of his career when he opened his boxes last month and found half of his 100 million bees missing.

“I have never seen anything like it,” Mr. Bradshaw, 50, said from an almond orchard here beginning to bloom. “Box after box after box are just empty. There’s nobody home.”
ARTICLE

QUOTE(Yahoo News 4.6.07)
Bee numbers on parts of the east coast and in Texas have fallen by more than 70 percent, while California has seen colonies drop by 30 to 60 percent.

The phenomenon now being witnessed across the United States has been dubbed "colony collapse disorder," or CCD, by scientists as they seek to explain what is causing the bees to literally disappear in droves.

The usual suspects to which bees are known to be vulnerable such as the varroa mite, an external parasite which attacks honey bees and which can wipe out a hive, appear not to be the main cause.
ARTICLE

QUOTE(Scientific American 4.22.07)
Since about one-third of the U.S. diet depends on pollination and most of that is performed by honeybees, this constitutes a serious problem, according to Jeff Pettis of the U.S. Agricultural Research Service.
ARTICLE

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 06:39:00 PM »

I've been trying to keep up with this. My family thinks I am wack-o for caring about bees. But, this is more serious than global warming in my opinion.

Here's a little reading for fun.
http://www.snopes.co...nstein/bees.asp

xboxbox451

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 06:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(throwingks @ Apr 23 2007, 08:46 PM) View Post

I've been trying to keep up with this. My family thinks I am wack-o for caring about bees. But, this is more serious than global warming in my opinion.

Totally agree. I've been following this for the past few weeks, but never really payed it much attention, though it seems to be picking up momentum.

There are other pollinators in decline such as wasps, bats, etc., but bees work the hardest and are domesticated to work in our favor.

Godspeed Busy Bees.

damam

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(throwingks @ Apr 23 2007, 01:46 PM) View Post

could not agree more.  I have tried to have talks with my friends about keystone and indicator species, and they just zone out.  I first read about this in 1999 and kind of thought it was interesting, but I thought the species would bounce as part of a newly recognized cycle.  But the worst it gets the more I worry.

gronned

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 06:27:00 AM »

Well, even though not as outspoken as the cellphone-theory, global warming has been mentioned as one of the possible causes for the decrease in bees, which then would be quite ironic if you're more worried about the disappeared bees than global warming  smile.gif

damam

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 08:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(gronned @ Apr 26 2007, 01:34 AM) View Post

Well, even though not as outspoken as the cellphone-theory, global warming has been mentioned as one of the possible causes for the decrease in bees, which then would be quite ironic if you're more worried about the disappeared bees than global warming  smile.gif

except for the fact that if it were caused by global warming you would simply expect migration of bees to other locations . . . not a total collapse of the species

I did read not too long ago that there is a mite that is causing this problem.  

here is a link that talks about it
http://www.scienceda...50517110843.htm

interestingly enough, bee keepers are able to treat their colonies for this mite and thereby keep there colonies going.

gronned

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 09:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(damam @ Apr 26 2007, 04:56 PM) View Post

except for the fact that if it were caused by global warming you would simply expect migration of bees to other locations . . . not a total collapse of the species

I did read not too long ago that there is a mite that is causing this problem.  

here is a link that talks about it
http://www.scienceda...50517110843.htm

interestingly enough, bee keepers are able to treat their colonies for this mite and thereby keep there colonies going.

Actually I don't believe it to necessary be the reason, but there's no point in ruling it out. I just thought it was funny as it's been suggested. How can you be completely sure the effect would only be that they'd migrate? It seems logical, but a lot of things are not.

damam

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 08:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(gronned @ Apr 26 2007, 04:44 AM) View Post

Actually I don't believe it to necessary be the reason, but there's no point in ruling it out. I just thought it was funny as it's been suggested. How can you be completely sure the effect would only be that they'd migrate? It seems logical, but a lot of things are not.

bees are a cline-like species they tend to migrate in and out of pockets as the enviroment dictates.  

Interestingly enough, there was a report on bees last night on the news.  Apparently bees in my area are back up to normal levels.  This type of cycling could be evidence of a prey/predator cycle, but i am not positive on that.

damam

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »

just an update to this

CNN story

apparently a virus has been discovered that could be the cause of colony colapse disorder.

Blackbolt

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 04:15:00 AM »

Bee's are fine. I have no quarrell with them. Its wasp that piss me off, they just sting you for the fun of it. I've never been stung by a wasp in my life, but thats thanks to my stupid fear of them and I seem to have an early warning system that gets me out of the way early lol.

buttface96

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »

i smashed a bee with my helmet before practice today...

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »

Yeah, well wait 'till tomorrow's practice, when the guardian bee comes looking for him. ph34r.gif