xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Picture of kidnapping victim appeared on Xbox community site  (Read 345 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Picture of kidnapping victim appeared on Xbox community site
« on: January 15, 2007, 02:19:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | January 15 16:12 EST

From joystiq.com:

When 15-year-old Shawn Hornbeck was found safe and sound at the home of alleged kidnapper Michael Devlin this weekend, it was the first time his family had seen him since he disappeared over four years ago. Now it appears that Hornbeck's picture has shown up on a popular Xbox community site during his four-year kidnapping.

The GamerTagPics profile for Xbox Live user "DevilDevlin" shows the kidnapped Hornbeck outside what appear to be Devlin's apartment. The profile was created Sept. 4, 2005 but hasn't been accessed since early 2006. DevilDevlin's Gamertag reveals that someone played Saints Row on the account as recently as Friday. It seems likely that Hornbeck used the account -- a Washington Post story reveals Devlin's neighbors "often spotted Shawn out and about, visiting friends on his bicycle or playing video games with the apartment door open."

Full Story: joystiq.com and gamertagradio.com

Base8

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »

Wow, wtf, thats one of the crazyer xboxscene news stories ive heard.  I guess the kid at least had a 360.  Wierd wierd wierd.

-BaseEight-

Edit:  One time i herd a guy getting his ass kicked over xbox live, i wish i could have done something but its not like i can call 911 and tell them PimpGamer69 is getting beat up though.

This post has been edited by Base8: Jan 15 2007, 09:42 PM

gerzand

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »

thats bizarre

metaphaze

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »

Thanks for posting the story.

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 01:53:00 PM »

That profile adds to the already disturbing situation that poor kid endured.  Before anyone harps about how he "should of just ran" and "he had all kinds of chances to escape", you cannot realize the powerful psychological control that can be exercised over people until you have truly spent time working with or studying the clinically insane or others with psychological diseases.  I have seen more than I could ever have imagined while in medical school at various psychiatric hospitals.

I only hope that through therapy and the love and support of his family and friends that he can have a normal rest of his childhood and a great future ahead.

holyniht

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 02:07:00 PM »

yea i think theres alot more 2 this story then they're revealing. although i dont the pysche of a kid whoes been kidnapped since ive never been. Kid seems a lil bit "comfy" if you asked me. Seems like he had plenty of oppurtunity to get help or escape even but didnt. Things might have not been so good at home as the parents might like us to think.

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »

Being a father the whole thing creeps me out to the point of wanting to vomit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

This post has been edited by mlmadmax: Jan 15 2007, 10:29 PM

ade_dnb

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 02:30:00 PM »

I read about this in the sun today.... pretty fuked up shit.  He had loads of chances to run as well.  Some people are just fuked up in general.... who in the right mind is gonna kidnap a kid and brainwash him into thinking that he was actually his real father.  I feel sorry for his REAL parents.  Just think what they were going through.  They even set up a website to try and find him.

What is the world coming to?

http://www.thesun.co...7020337,00.html

Tribal Prophet

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 02:42:00 PM »

Guys, the first thing that kidnappers tell a kid like this is "if you run, we will go to your house and kill your family before you get a chance to even call anyone".  These people stole you from that family, in your mind they can do anything at this point.

'He had a chance to run' but seriously, how can you blame someone so young for staying to protect his family's life?

xbox modder 222

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 02:39:00 PM »

Just relized the person who kidnapped him last name was Devlin... and the gamer tag is "DevilDevlin" that is FREAKY

indiraider

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 02:39:00 PM »

I agree there must be something the family is not telling us about the story or their situation. I seem to think either two things:

1. The boy chose to stay with Devlin. I know he could have been brainwashed and i have also seen the close relationship that prisoners have to their captures. But what the previous poster left you was it only really works when there is a constent reminder of the bounding chains of imprisonment.

2. This theory is a bit crazy because of its bizzar nature but it could be the family had a deal with Devlin to take their child and they could cash in on the publicity after 4 years.

Agent ME

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 02:46:00 PM »

Ditto to above - if he really wanted to get away, it'd have been easy to. Call 911. Email parents/police-type people. Get on bike and get the heck away. Anything could've worked. I guess he really didn't like his parents?

decapkris

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »

I wouldnt be too quick to judge this dude just yet. Sounds like he could have a case of Stockholm syndrome.

The Stockholm syndrome is a psychological response sometimes seen in an abducted hostage, in which the hostage exhibits loyalty to the hostage-taker, in spite of the danger (or at least risk) in which the hostage has been placed. Stockholm syndrome is also sometimes discussed in reference to other situations with similar tensions, such as battered person syndrome, rape cases, child abuse cases, and bride kidnapping.

Stockholm Syndrome

ACharmedMatrix

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 03:08:00 PM »

There is definitely something we don't know...

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(ACharmedMatrix @ Jan 15 2007, 05:15 PM) View Post
There is definitely something we don't know...
Psychology
Pages: [1] 2 3