xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: ELSPA assists in UK mod-chip conviction  (Read 446 times)

throwingks

• Archived User
ELSPA assists in UK mod-chip conviction
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2006, 05:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(porfuse @ Apr 3 2006, 04:51 PM) *
where did i ever say anything about games ? i said legit data...

which refers to my school documents, and various other word and excel data files. There might even be some pictures on there.
fools.
Good joke.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)  You run Excel and Word on your Xbox? You have a linux BIOS and Linux OS only on your Xbox? Shenanigans.

Exobex

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2006, 07:27:00 PM »

Eighteen months?

This guy got eighteen months for killing someone!

Justice, eh?

Besides, chipping a 1.6 only adds the same feature that already existed in 1.0-1.5 machines: a flashable BIOS chip.  You can fit a chip and boot a retail BIOS off it, you can avoid fitting a chip and boot a modded BIOS off it.  The existence of absence of a modchip should be irrelevant.

This post has been edited by Exobex: Apr 4 2006, 02:28 AM

FlashKick

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2006, 08:22:00 PM »

that really does suck. all these cases where the punishment doesn't fit the crime, there is no real justice! i don't understand how a "good" lawyer can really bring down the sentence for someone that everyone knows is dead guilty, or other way around. then again, it is all about money, right?

Chamrock

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2006, 01:51:00 AM »

How about a torture fest arranged for these ELSPA and police men taking modchippers into the jail? I would enjoy to strangle those ELSPA and BSA guys with their own ties and tell them to fuck off the modchip scene! We own the modchip scene and and all those lame lobbyists!!! muhaha.gif

Arvarden

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2006, 03:24:00 AM »

I'm suprised the guy got a custodial sentance considering the courts are handing out tagging orders for crimes such as burglary, shop lifting etc in the UK to cut prison populations.

I can only assume that British courts take theft of Data more seriously than burglary, shop lifting and in some cases murder.  Only a few weeks ago a man was sentanced to 12 months for killing a minor while driving with out insurance and a driving licience.  

If he was just sellling chips the courts have taken a harsh stand against this gentleman IMO but my guess is that he was also selling copied games as well as providing a chipping service.  

David Hoang was arrested on 23rd February for handling stolen goods and ELSPA was called in to provide evidence at his court trial after the accused pleaded not guilty to additional charges of chipping offences.

I guess the moral of the story is don't sell your crap in a public shop and if you have no other way of selling your merchandise don't leave all your eggs in one basket.

Don't do the crime if you are not prepared to do the time.

benthorne

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2006, 05:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(Arvarden @ Apr 4 2006, 11:24 AM) *

If he was just sellling chips the courts have taken a harsh stand against this gentleman IMO but my guess is that he was also selling copied games as well as providing a chipping service.  

NO ONE IS READING THIS PROPERLY!!!

He was handling stolen goods!!! This could have run into £100,000's worth of stuff!!!

There is nothing to say he was selling pirated games! And he only got ONE MONTH for the chipping/bios crime and 16 months for the handling of stolen goods!!!

Chipping is not illegal in the UK just the bios/apps, which is what he, has been done for! If he was only done for the chipping he would have probably got community service but they took into account the other offences!

So stop going on about how/why he got a long stretch IT WAS A MONTH FOR THE CHIPPING WITH ILLEGAL BIOS!!

Theis guy is still a criminal full stop!!!

QUOTE(Tribal Prophet @ Apr 4 2006, 12:20 AM) *

I don't know if you realize it, but if they wanted to they could nail you for that for facilitating the piracy crime because you're helping people "complete the job" that you started.  If you don't *actually* rob a bank, but you tell people who are going to rob it where to find out how to rob the back and give them help, you've now committed a crime.  Now do you think that you deserve to spend time in prison for ANY number of months, or do you think that maybe these year + long sentences should maybe go to the rapists and murderers instead of you for helping people play copied games/homebrew stuff?

There is a big difference! This info is freely available on the Internet robbing a bank on the other hand isn’t! No offence taken though I can see your point just a really bad example (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

PedrosPad

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2006, 06:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(benthorne @ Apr 4 2006, 12:39 PM) *

He was handling stolen goods!!! This could have run into £100,000's worth of stuff!!

Given the context of the article and the involvement of ELSPA, I think people are interpreting "handling stolen goods" to mean copies of the M$ BIOS.  While this could be, I agree that it's much more likely to mean a truck load of physical evidence - ram raided consoles, etc..

This post has been edited by PedrosPad: Apr 4 2006, 01:06 PM

Jonld

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2006, 08:04:00 AM »

I think most of you are looking into this all wrong, but a few of you have it hands down.  They dont say what he had, be it pirated data or a warehouse full of stolen consoles.  Eitherway its still technically theft and thats what he got nailed by.  I think the ELSPA just wanted to scare every modder so they had the story wrote up to sound like he got nailed for chipping, which yes he got into a bit of trouble but it was for the pirated data not the actual chip and the most offense was the stolen goods, which wouldnt you know they dont mention anywhere what that was.

Bizquick

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2006, 09:27:00 AM »

This article is getting taken the wrong way. I mean he was offering the xbox with games on the Hard drive from his website. This explaines the whole thing why he was busted. This case is almost no diffrent than the one we had in calf. About the guy who got caught selling 77 somthing pirated games on the HD. They just added the extra charges for the mod chip to show other countrys to take intrest and make it look worse than what it was. I mean be honest. if they went after these guys for just installing the chip they have to prove alot. I mean they would have to make sure that he actualy did the install. Also prove he had the chip himself to install it. I mean many factors. the only way these guys are going to go after these people is if they offer copied games in the service. last I checked I honestly did hear about a shop getting busted just for the install. I bet whats going on is the police and departments are just scooting thur all the add's and looking at all the services the mod installers offer. If any of them offer Hard Drive Upgrades then they know they might be able to prove somthing. I aonly chip from family memembers or close friends and I never charge any thing. All the research and files I get are free so I feel that making any profit off this is almost as bad as copying the games. I know alot of mod installers would never agree with me on this. But its just how I feel. I mean if your an installer are you making a donation from each sale to Xboxsecene or any of the site you got your information from. (I don't think so)  Anyway this case is all just worded to so people think its the chipping that got him busted.  Think about it also with out doing a hard drive upgrade they would have a hard time just proving you installed  a chip in it as well. with softmods now days you can get the same results. I think opening up the xbox would be simular to a warrent to search you house. I mean now days you can prove that you don't need to open the box up to do these mods unless you replace the HD. so they wouldnt have any grounds to open it right?

Neoistheone2000

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2006, 01:16:00 AM »

QUOTE(Xbox-Scene @ Apr 3 2006, 10:27 AM) *

<p><strong>ELSPA assists in UK mod-chip conviction</strong>
-- Posted by XanTium on April 3 11:20 EST

From gamesindustry.biz:
Read More: gamesindustry.biz
</p>

A 22-year-old man has become the first person in the UK to be convicted for modifying a video games console.

The Cambridge graduate was sentenced at Caerphilly Magistrates' Court to 140 hours of community service.

The man had been selling modified Xbox consoles which he fitted with a big hard drive containing 80 games.

the last part of this is what he did wrong he sold 80 copied games (witch he probly downloaded) and then mad a profit off i dont think they placed him in prison for just putting a mod chip in the system i think he just broke 80 copyrights i dont know what u all think? java script:emoticon(':unsure:', 'smid_21')
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

irishwhip

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2006, 04:08:00 PM »

i actually know the shop and david hoang, and believe me, it was way more than xbox chipping he was into.
(cellphones, cable boxes etc)
he never even made any attempt to hide his activities, and i'm surprised his business survived so long,
considering ilford police station is 5 minutes away from his premises

This post has been edited by irishwhip: Apr 7 2006, 11:12 PM
Pages: 1 2 [3]