xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: ELSPA assists in UK mod-chip conviction  (Read 447 times)

benthorne

• Archived User
ELSPA assists in UK mod-chip conviction
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 11:48:00 AM »

QUOTE(clogicgmather @ Apr 3 2006, 07:00 PM) *

Actually we have some of the best consumer protection laws out there, just most the u.k public dont seem to know their rights.

He only actually got 1 month for the chipping, which is illegal in the u.k if you provide a hacked bios file. Without this the xbox doesnt play copies and no laws have been broken.
Without knowing what stolen good he recieved it would be hard to judge if 17 months is a harsh sentence, but theres no denying handling stolen goods is a crime.
Although the u.k has new tough EU laws similar of that to the DMCA i have yet to see this enforced on its own, all the news reports i have read of u.k modders going to court is when theyve done something else aswellt

QUOTE(pepe2004 @ Apr 3 2006, 07:25 PM) *

It is great than this guy got in prison for eighteen months for modding consoles, now, if we can only give a death sentence to the guys than put him there things will be perfect.

Can you imagine?, in prison for eighteen months with rapers, murders, etc just for modding consoles, man, did I heard middle age here?, I'm serious. How will this guy get out?  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/uhh.gif)

He got one month for "The modification of games consoles, more commonly known as 'chipping', is a criminal offence and so is the possession of modified chips" which means he had modchips with the hacked bios on which is made from stolen code from m$ which, and lets face it, is illegal as it is stolen!

piracy is a crime! lets face it!

i used to chip boxes and i only ever let them go with the cromwell bios and no dash/apps but i would tell people where to start looking to complete the job (xbox-scene)!

I agree with clogicgmather on this one!

As for the other 17 months he could have recieved £100,000 worth of the stuff hence the long prison time! and again clogicgmather is right it is a crime!

juan_2006

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006, 12:18:00 PM »

I think piracy is wrong. I dont mod anymore except casemods, cause i got live and i dont wanna get banned so i unmoded my xbox. Is softmoding illegal??? I dont think so, or im i wrong? I wonder if chips are illegal in canada?

porfuse

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2006, 01:13:00 PM »

if 'chipping' -that n00b, is SO illegal, why doesnt m$ crack down on the teams that fucking make them. This guy Michael R. seems somewhat (dumb.)  

Why is 'chipping' as mike would say so illegal ? not everyone does it just to copy games... i didnt mine so i could take advantage of the harddrive space for backups (UT-OH BACKUPS ! no no, backups of my legit data) There are other uses, and this "anti-piracy" LET ME SAVE THE WORLD ATTITUDES IM A GOOD CITIZEN are overreacting.

I feel bad for the guy.   wink.gif

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2006, 02:01:00 PM »

And I was watching BBC News 24 earlier today to find that prisons are almost full capacity.

It's cause there doing stupid things like this and not catching real criminals etc.

DrTek

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2006, 02:16:00 PM »

Death to all Modchips!

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2006, 03:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(porfuse @ Apr 3 2006, 01:20 PM) *

i didnt mine so i could take advantage of the harddrive space for backups (UT-OH BACKUPS ! no no, backups of my legit data)

Well then you are breaking the law as well, at least if you live in the US.  It is illegal to make a backup (yes backup, you actually OWN the game) of a game or DVD that you own because Copy Protection must be circumvented to do so.  I don't write the laws... I think that is a crock as well.
What if this guy HAD only chipped and put the Cromwell BIOS on those chips, would he still be in trouble in the UK?  And how does our BST not get in trouble for routinely selling modded consoles (no pirated games, but hacked bioses and also apps like XBMC).

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2006, 03:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(CattyKid @ Apr 3 2006, 02:13 PM) *

Well then you are breaking the law as well, at least if you live in the US.  It is illegal to make a backup (yes backup, you actually OWN the game) of a game or DVD that you own because Copy Protection must be circumvented to do so.  I don't write the laws... I think that is a crock as well.
Plus do you own the SDK to compile the programs that allowed you to do the backups and free up disk space? If you dont own the SDK you can only legally download the source code, not the compiled program. Good luck compiling the source legally. OpenSDK isnt good enough yet. You are a BAD citizen. Just kidding, but if you are concerned about the law. You are breaking it.

jha'dhur

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2006, 03:58:00 PM »

Better get you a proxy because them Alphabet "boyz" are watching.........

Tribal Prophet

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2006, 04:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(benthorne @ Apr 3 2006, 05:48 PM) *

i used to chip boxes and i only ever let them go with the cromwell bios and no dash/apps but i would tell people where to start looking to complete the job (xbox-scene)!

I don't know if you realize it, but if they wanted to they could nail you for that for facilitating the piracy crime because you're helping people "complete the job" that you started.  If you don't *actually* rob a bank, but you tell people who are going to rob it where to find out how to rob the back and give them help, you've now committed a crime.  Now do you think that you deserve to spend time in prison for ANY number of months, or do you think that maybe these year + long sentences should maybe go to the rapists and murderers instead of you for helping people play copied games/homebrew stuff?

I'm not trying to pick a fight or flame or anything, and what you're doing/done is certainly not to the level that this guy was at, but in the eyes of the people who arrested him, you're probably close enough.  That's the crappy part.  From what you said, there's no way that you should be sharing cells with rapists, but if they had their way you would.  The problem is that money talks, and these big companies pay-off dirty politicians (which is many of them) to make and enforce laws that they want.

MetalMickey

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2006, 04:32:00 PM »

Why, oh why does xbox-scene post this drivel? The guy was jailed for selling pirate software, the fact that he sold chipped boxes was incidental.

ELSPA and the like will try to spin this their own way every time. Really, xbox scene should know better. They need to get a news poster who understands the media, their representative bodies and the spin and propaganda they spew out.

Its bad enough with the sheep on here who go "omg, jail for an xecuter!", but when the editing staff get fooled by this crap, frankly its an embarrassment.

jha'dhur

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2006, 04:40:00 PM »

I wonder how long before they equate modchips to some foreign nation responsible for terroism.

Like: They do with ripoff drugs, bootleg movies and cable boxes.

I know that it is circumvention of DMCA which can be a felony.

But does my modchip money go to AL QEADA???????

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2006, 04:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(jha'dhur @ Apr 3 2006, 03:40 PM) *

But does my modchip money go to AL QEADA???????
Our gas money does.

bunghoolio

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2006, 05:28:00 PM »

I don't condone piracy but I think the punishment is ridiculous. As a comparrison, I saw a documentry on people trafficking in the Check Rebuplic of Modolva. A guy was sentenced to 5 Years inprisionment for the selling of women to Turkey for the purpose of forced prostitution. The charge was REDUCED to 5 MONTHS PROBATION (ie NO JAIL, OFFENDER WALKED FREE) because he had a good lawyer. Go figure???

jha'dhur

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2006, 05:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(bunghoolio @ Apr 3 2006, 06:28 PM) *

I don't condone piracy but I think the punishment is ridiculous. As a comparrison, I saw a documentry on people trafficking in the Check Rebuplic of Modolva. A guy was sentenced to 5 Years inprisionment for the selling of women to Turkey for the purpose of forced prostitution. The charge was REDUCED to 5 MONTHS PROBATION (ie NO JAIL, OFFENDER WALKED FREE) because he had a good lawyer. Go figure???

MONEY talks BULLSHIT walks

porfuse

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2006, 05:51:00 PM »

where did i ever say anything about games ? i said legit data...

which refers to my school documents, and various other word and excel data files. There might even be some pictures on there.

fools.
Pages: 1 [2] 3